What's new

New strop, leather creases

I got a new leather strop for Christmas as well as leather conditioner. The strop arrived in the package rolled up from the manufacturer which caused nasty wrinkles in the leather. I’ve conditioned the leather twice and tried to gently bend the strop in the opposite direction over night to try to restore it, but to no avail. Is there something else I can do to repair it?
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Did it come rolled with the skin (smooth) side inner most? If tightly rolled skin side in the smooth skin will lift from the fibers underneath (called break) and cannot be fixed. Sometimes rolling very tightly with the skin out can crack the skin and make a similar wrinkle but you should be able to see tiny cracks and split rather than just raised humps and ridges. Either way this damage cannot be repaired.
I would be sending it back to GBS or Amazon

I had this happen as well with an Ezra Arthur strop. The seller refunded my money and allowed me to keep the strop.

I tried everything to get the creases out.

I wore out my wife's rolling pin rolling it.

I moistened with saddle soap and then rolled it some more.

I tried little pressure, heavier pressure.

I couldn't get it to flatten out. It did a little but could still feel the creases when stropping.

To give you an idea, my creases were not as bad as the ones on your strop.

I finally took apart the strop and sanded it. This flattened the strop by removing the top layer of leather. It also removed the finish of the strop and left a smooth untreated surface. It actually came out really nice. The draw was med to heavy.

I no longer have the strop as I ended up pif'ing it to someone just getting into straights.

Before you go to the extreme measure of sanding, I would contact the seller first to return the damaged strop.

Top Bottom