What's new

New Strop Advice

So I’m going to be purchasing another strop soon and I’m looking into recommendations from the forum. I’m in between a Kanayama 2196, Tony Miller Artisan, or a Horsehide with the firehose component from one of the members here.

I know I can’t go wrong either way but what do you guys think? I’m leaning towards the Kanayama or the Tomo but I’ve heard excellent things about TM strips. Can anyone compare the draw of each for me?

I should also note that I’m attracted to the Kanayama due to the possibility of them not being available in the future. But I do feel like the Tomo Horse/Firehose strop May be made of better materials.

I don’t have the mustang strop but I do have a two alarm firehose strop and it is easily the best linen material available.

7724CC8B-761C-47BF-8BB9-B9588BA87168.jpeg
Tony Miller strops come in a wide range of draw “firmness”. His new Rough out strop is as firm as they come; it’s also my favorite.
The Miller steerhide is light to medium.
I made a strop from a nice piece of 8-9 oz. vegetable tanned hide.
Slicker than snot. It gets little use.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Is the Miller steerhide similar to say a Illinois #127 cowhide?

In concept it is but the leather while firm does not have the hard crusty surface often found on the #127 (caused by the dye) and is a bit more "tame" on the surface.

In concept it is but the leather while firm does not have the hard crusty surface often found on the #127 (caused by the dye) and is a bit more "tame" on the surface.
TM has lighter draw and beveled edges, which are nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the replies, so it would be safe to assume a TM steerhide would be a bit faster? Also what is the second component used on the TM strop; linen or cotton?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Thanks for the replies, so it would be safe to assume a TM steerhide would be a bit faster? Also what is the second component used on the TM strop; linen or cotton?

The Steerhide is smoother and faster. Both cotton and flax linen are available. I will PM you with details.

Top Bottom