What's new

New Straight Shaver

Oh my gosh!
I am new to straights, and have been using my new, shave-ready straight from SRD for the last three days. I did great for the first three shaves, primarily doing only the sides of my face and neck WTG.
But this morning I think that I used too much pressure (my tremor was acting up a little more) and wound up with a very raw face and a few nicks. I was lulled into complacency by the early results.
I really do expect for it to take a couple of months to get better/comfortable with the straights.

I have been using DEs for a year now and go overboard working to get BBS every day.
I guess am asking if one can use a Straight every day, or if one should take days off to avoid this rawness. I know that I need to take days off now, and am trying to anticipate what to expect in the future.

Thanks,

JR

Hi, seems similar to me, my first few shaves were fine but then a bit rough and a few blood points and perhaps like you i was a bit to sure, though things like that do actually help in the long run, hope things get better for your next shave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Stropping problem maybe?
A few shaves in and deteriorating results sounds like a stropping issue.
Don't be that quick to blame complacency and your own technique (or in this case, lack of), it could be that you just need some practice time on the old strop.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Don't worry too much about it. I use a straight everyday without any problems. It's possible that you would need to have a lighter touch as you mention.

How many laps did you do on the strop?

Yes, I do probably need to work on the stropping. And I think that I did about ten laps on the cotton and twenty on the latigo.

JR

Yes, I do probably need to work on the stropping. And I think that I did about ten laps on the cotton and twenty on the latigo.

JR

Go for 50/50 linen/hide. The extra laps will only help to smooth it out. Also, you can shave every day but like some of the guys said it'll take a while for you to get there with a comfortable face. Until your technique is refined you'll probably have a raw mug but stick with it and you'll see better results.

I guess am asking if one can use a Straight every day, or if one should take days off to avoid this rawness.

I wouldn't feel too bad about taking a few days to let your face recover. When I first started using a straight I would do one day with a straight, then three with a DE, and worked my way down to every day. Also, too much pressure and wrong angles can aggravate your skin if they're not quite right.

I'm not 100% sure if your skin needs to adjust to straight razors, or if your pressure just needs to adjusts to prevent raw faces (in general). But, this seems to be pretty common experience (I went through it for a bit).

In no time, if you work at it, you'll be enjoying a daily straight razor shave. :001_smile

Last edited:
I was the same with a straight, despite using a de for a while i still took time to adjust to it.

Try not to aim for bbs just go for a nice one or two pass, and clean up any patchy bits, honestly if you try reaching for the top you'll kinda lose sight of the little things that make all the difference.

My problem was always using too much pressure and too much or not enough angle.

Now however my shaves are superlative, so it will come with time.

i agree with a lot of what has been posted; there are just more factors to consider when shaving with a straight blade.

Its possible even with so few shaves, that your edge has deteriorated a bit. I went through a couple of shave ready edges before I was able to use a razor everyday.

The good news is that straights are smoother and more forgiving than anything else and you should have no problem shaving everyday.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to touch up your razor.

Top Bottom