What's new

New Straigh

Hi all,

I have bought my first straight today, a Dovo 6/8 Colonel Conk edition with black blade and scales.

I think it looks the part, it’s new and comes properly shave ready, I can’t wait for it to be delivered and use it.

Anyone have any experience with this razor? Not much online.

Many thanks!!

I don't have any experience with that particular straight razor but provided it's really shave ready you should be in business. Dovo makes a decent razor. I've had 3 or 4 over the years and they were good but think the only Dovo I have now is a Fritz Bracht model (older razor).

Conk is a re-branded Dovo "Best Quality". The razor will be good, but you may want to have it professionally honed. Factory edge can leave a little to be desired. JMHE

Conk is a re-branded Dovo "Best Quality". The razor will be good, but you may want to have it professionally honed. Factory edge can leave a little to be desired. JMHE

Cheers, I’m looking forward to receiving if, it’s professionally honed not factory, so good to go upon delivery!

Of course! See the link below....

https://www.whippeddog.com/product-page/dovo-6-8-506b-colonel-conk

I asked Larry a few questions and pointed me in the direction of this razor, I love the look of it and also advised I get the stop so I got the poormans strop kit and bay rum soap also!

You thinking on getting one as you asked where I got it? I can’t recenmend whipped dog enough, great service.

Last edited:
Of course! See the link below....

https://www.whippeddog.com/product-page/dovo-6-8-506b-colonel-conk

I asked Larry a few questions and pointed me in the direction of this razor, I love the look of it and also advised I get the stop so I got the poormans strop kit and bay rum soap also!

You thinking on getting one as you asked where I got it? I can’t recenmend whipped dog enough, great service.
Larry knows his stuff and I am sure that razor will serve you well! The 506B is the workhorse of the Dovo stable. An excellent first choice. Congratulations on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it!

Im set in the razor department... I wont be needing a new one for quite some time! ;)

No probs i assumed you were after one as you asked a question about it being shave ready

No probs i assumed you were after one as you asked a question about it being shave ready
i'm guessing he was trying to find out if it was "Shave ready" or actually shave ready. many people claim that it is shave ready yet whatever it is that they do leaves the blade wanting. Larry is known as a gentleman, and a honer of razors so it's just nice to see that you won't be frustrated with a "shave ready" blade that wouldn't cut butter (there is no need to cut butter, lather and hair will suffice lol )

i'm guessing he was trying to find out if it was "Shave ready" or actually shave ready. many people claim that it is shave ready yet whatever it is that they do leaves the blade wanting. Larry is known as a gentleman, and a honer of razors so it's just nice to see that you won't be frustrated with a "shave ready" blade that wouldn't cut butter (there is no need to cut butter, lather and hair will suffice lol )
Precisely!

I did guess, I was playing you up, hence I kept asking, no point buying a straight that isn’t ready to use if it’s your first razor.

I received my new razor yesterday and had a go with it last night. I made a bit of a mistake by using a new soap with the new razor, I used col conk bay rum and I think it reacted with me a bit as my face was red and blotchy afterwards. My alum feed back wasn’t bad at all so I think the shave went ok. I’m going to use Proraso or Arko for my next straight shave then the bay rum with my DE so that will provide me with the answers. Back to the shave, I really enjoyed it, I think I’ll have to limber up next time tho as I was finding getting the correct angle quite difficult for some parts of my face, I also found my chin quite difficult, practice makes perfect tho, I know this will take about a year and Rome wasn’t built in a day. I think I need to work on the pressure, I was careful not to use too much pressure and I was hesitant which made shaving my chin and below difficult as the razor skipped a few times.

I received my new razor yesterday and had a go with it last night. I made a bit of a mistake by using a new soap with the new razor, I used col conk bay rum and I think it reacted with me a bit as my face was red and blotchy afterwards. My alum feed back wasn’t bad at all so I think the shave went ok. I’m going to use Proraso or Arko for my next straight shave then the bay rum with my DE so that will provide me with the answers. Back to the shave, I really enjoyed it, I think I’ll have to limber up next time tho as I was finding getting the correct angle quite difficult for some parts of my face, I also found my chin quite difficult, practice makes perfect tho, I know this will take about a year and Rome wasn’t built in a day. I think I need to work on the pressure, I was careful not to use too much pressure and I was hesitant which made shaving my chin and below difficult as the razor skipped a few times.

I've been using a SR since September 2018, so I am new also. I've found a pre shave face wash with glycerin helps. Also, a well hydrated later make the razor move smoothly. Later can dry out during to shave, so add water as needed. I face lather making it easy to tell how much water to use.

If you decide you want to keep the razor shave ready, consider a quality strop and watch videos on how to strop. If you decide you want to learn to hone, there are economical options available without purchasing stones.

Here are some videos to consider.
How to shave and lather.

How to use honing films:

Films(not polishing paper) can be purchase on ebay and Amazon.

Illinois makes good strops: The Oldest Straight Razor Strop Company In The U.S.A - GENTLEMEN'S AVENUE

Strop motion:
(go slow until you develop muscle memory or you can cut the strop. Everyone cuts/nicks the strop.

I have a strop and balsa wood with oxide to keep me going in the short term. I’m plenty experienced with lather, I face lather also, I’m just working on my straight technique at the moment, I’ll get there, I have a Dovo Best Quality, I’m very happy with it, feels quite weighty which I prefer, albeit I have little knowledge of straights at the moment.

Just had my 9th shave with the straight, I’m not using it daily yet, I’m only using when I have plenty of time to shave. On the whole I had a good shave, I’m certainly more confident with it in hand, however I’ve caught my chin a good few times now, nothing major and my alum sorts it straight out but I keep reopening the same place on my chin. My DE doesn’t trouble that area at all, as in I shave daily and shave with my DE between straights and no problems. Getting rather frustrating.

The skin appears to have healed but perhaps I’ve given myself a tiny scar. Maybe I should take a month off from the straight to let the area heal completely.

Any of you guys had this in the past?

Just had my 9th shave with the straight, I’m not using it daily yet, I’m only using when I have plenty of time to shave. On the whole I had a good shave, I’m certainly more confident with it in hand, however I’ve caught my chin a good few times now, nothing major and my alum sorts it straight out but I keep reopening the same place on my chin. My DE doesn’t trouble that area at all, as in I shave daily and shave with my DE between straights and no problems. Getting rather frustrating.

The skin appears to have healed but perhaps I’ve given myself a tiny scar. Maybe I should take a month off from the straight to let the area heal completely.

Any of you guys had this in the past?

Just avoid the area with the cut for a day or two. I'll suggest a first no detail pass just to reduce the hair growth. Don't try to get too detailed with the SR on one pass.

Some say they clean up with the DE. Try starting off with the DE and finishing with the SR.

Tried that, and the other way around. I’m getting good shaves from 3 passes, just that one nick keeps haunting me. I’ll have a month away from the straight I think.

Top Bottom