What's new

New stove needed

I need a new gas stove, standard width (30"?)

Any suggestions or resources for reviews?

Last edited:
If I had money to burn, I would look at the Bluestars with the sealed burners. I would also check on the possibility of getting one magnetic induction burner. Just dreaming though... :biggrin:

If I had money to burn, I would look at the Bluestars with the sealed burners. I would also check on the possibility of getting one magnetic induction burner. Just dreaming though... :biggrin:

I goggled bluestars and got a drum and bugle corps, do you have a link Dennis?

The August 2009 issue of Consumers Reports has reviews (if you like their recommendations). I just went through purchasing a new oven/stove a few months ago and did a lot of internet research looking at customer reviews. Basically I came to the conclusion that there really wasn't any one product that was a stand out in a majority of areas. As a result, when it came time to buy we just went to Sears when they had a sale and purchased a Kenmore. The oven seems to be pretty accurate and we have not had any problems with it.

Our house had no kitchen when we bought it five years ago, so we had a blank canvas. I went with a Premier Professional-series range, and have been very, very happy. Not as pricey as bigger names in "pro-like" appliances, but it heats evenly, lights reliably, and is built like a tank. We cook quite a bit, and Mrs. M is an expert bread baker; she loves it. Made in the US, too. You can order them with a number of different style backguards; we chose this style:

http://www.avappliance.com/acb/stor...-Inch-Stainless-Steel-Backguard-P1541C85.aspx

I have my eye on a DCS cooktop for my dream kitchen. The one I want is a little larger than 30", but I'm pretty sure they make smaller ones, too.

Believe it or not, IKEA stovetops are not bad. My wife and I purchased one -- they're made by Whirlpool. We have a 1955 home and it has very little counter space in the kitchen. We went with a 24" stovetop and opened up another 6" of counter.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I would have thought that at your place, the indoor stove would have lasted forever. :tongue_sm

Once in a while a Nona's sauce gets made!

Thanks for the suggestions so far, very helpful.

I think an "ultimate" stove would be a gas cooktop with an electric oven. We have had great luck with Kenmore appliances, though we currently use a Maytag. A few years ago, I looked at stoves, starting with the usual attention to Consumer Reports. I found that none of their top-rated models were available locally.
Interestingly, none of the premium brands (Wolf Aga, etc) topped the ratings.

Viking is wonderful, if you are looking to spend a lot of money. But, I just went with a run of the mill Magic Chef. I would never go back to electric cooking.

Tim

Please don't take my Ikea suggestion as an "ultimate" cooktop -- my perfect range would be from Wolf. I once rented a room in a home with a Wolf range/oven and it was awesome...

IKEA is on the affordable side, but works well, that's all! :biggrin:

Top Bottom