What's new

New Steward

Hi Guys

Just a quick note to introduce myself and you let you know I was asked to take up the purple mantle of Steward of these Great Southern Lands. It will be an honour to help sort out the Tea Tree from the Manuka, the Pungas from the Tree ferns, the Jandals from the Thongs (Flip Flops) and Russel Crowe's true heritage…. And that Split Enz really was a Kiwi group… and Dave Dobbyn’s “Slice of Heaven” wasn’t a one hit wonder…. Look up DD Smash on Spotify. He is world famous in NZ.

I was born in shaky ole Christchurch just over 50 years ago and moved to Aussie 20 years ago after meeting my darling wife online… I now reside in Geelong, Victoria.

I started shaving when I was 15 with an electric razor, a Philishave two head rechargeable POJ I brought from a second-hand shop for $15 (huge money for a fella on an apprentices wage), with no real advice from dad . He did have a couple safety razors a Schick and a Gillette from memory, one was adjustable..

I remember as a kid watching Victor Kiam in the Remington Micro Screen adds and totally buying the message they were selling and thinking the old razors Dad had were a thing of the past and no one used them anymore….. how wrong I was.

I kick myself everyday for that add and not picking up Dad’s safety razors when he past away. I have got one of his electrics so I will cherish that. Its a Remington too.

It was only about 12 months ago I really started shaving properly with a TTO Comoy my eldest son brought me and after that I was hooked. My collection is growing steadily and I have turned into a bit of a wet shaving evangelist …… I have a steadily growing collection of Gillette Razors. I have all my 3 sons and my eldest daughter wet shaving..... tho my eldest son got me into it so blame him for me ending up here.

I have had a go at a straight razor but I have little time to give it the attention it really needs, I just can’t make my left had co-operate. Plus, I am getting such good shaves off my old Gillette Prewar Fat Handle Tech I am happy where I am at the moment

So guys and gals, I am here to help if you need anything, a typo fixed or just general advise how to do stuff, I am not so good at picking paint colours… you have been warned… Please PM me if you need anything, I will help if I can and if I can’t I know people that can.

Also in about 2003 we were the ones who started the CoffeeSnobs Australia website so I have done this gig before, then selling the site to Andy who took to amazing heights and to places we never would have.

One of the things I would love to see, is if you know of or discover any out of the way artisan shave stuff creators or outstanding barbers or shave items unique to Aussie or NZ please let us know. I will kick it off in a new thread with something I recently found and is available from …….. Spoilers

Also some GSL meet ups in AU and NZ would be awesome too….

I think the AU vs NZ rivalry should be encouraged (it’s who we are) so long as we remember just one thing, be gentlemanly and we only barrack for one rugby team….. any team playing the Springboks…. (We love them too really)…. When it comes to All Blacks vs Wallabies it’s a free for all. At the end of the day we both honour the Anzacs and stand together through thick and thin.

This should Icehouse classic should be the GSL anthem..

Cheers
Rich

I'm not a Kiwi or an Aussie (though I have trained and fought alongside both extensively), but after reading this Rich...I really want to be!

I'm not a Kiwi or an Aussie (though I have trained and fought alongside both extensively), but after reading this Rich...I really want to be!
Well @dangerousdon you can be an honorary Kiwi.... or an Aussie.. I have great respect for those that have served, especially our lads and Gals .. So much has been give by so few, lest we forget.

Pull up a seat, sit buy the fire and we will buy you a beer...

Well @dangerousdon you can be an honorary Kiwi.... or an Aussie.. I have great respect for those that have served, especially our lads and Gals .. So much has been give by so few, lest we forget.

Pull up a seat, sit buy the fire and we will buy you a beer...

Or TWO [emoji482]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story! I also which I had my dad's safety razor...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi Rich,

I too fell for Victor Kiam's sales pitch many years ago, but I'm cured now - re-started wet shaving last year and am all the better for it!:001_302:

Alex

Hi Rich,

I too fell for Victor Kiam's sales pitch many years ago, but I'm cured now - re-started wet shaving last year and am all the better for it!:001_302:

Alex

Yeah. The Remington is a good shave for an electric.

The wet shaving is helping me keep it things in perspective and focused and feeling a lot better about myself.

I didn't say above but I had a prostate cancer diagnosis earlier in the year. Which rocked the boat a bit at the time and the guys here have been amazing. All is good on that front tho PSA has come back to normal. Watch and wait....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hi Rich,

Alex
So did my grandfather. Later, I did also. I remember when I thought the Norelco triple bladed contraption was an upgrade. Ah, razor burn.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hear, hear! Well spoken, Bruce!
I try to imagine someone saying "it's hot enough to boil a monkey's bum" to the queen. But if that happened, being she is British (and a veteran), it would probably roll off her back. She's a good Shiela.

Top Bottom