What's new

New stainless DE recommendation?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If you like the high efficiency of R41, you can try the Razorock Wunderbar. Using different angles you can achieve the most exciting to the mildest effect. Slant razors are the best IMO.

...and if you're looking for a slant that isn't quite so "efficient," I suggest the ATT S1 or S2. I have the S2, one of very few all-stainless open comb slants. It's more aggressive than the S1 so I'm told. I like it so have no reason to try a milder slant...

O.H.

Hi all, and happy new year!

I’m after my first ‘proper’ stainless steel DE, after around 6 years of using a small selection of typical chromed alloy models.
I tend to enjoy more aggressive razors, and out of my current 7 razors it’s only the R41 and RazoRock Mentor that really see any use. On the milder side I have an EJ89, and Merkur 33C and 39C that don’t get used at all - I end up over-shaving and irritating my skin with these three, as they’re just not efficient enough. I am a daily head and face shaver, and love the Mentor’s usability on consecutive days. The R41 is a great razor, but if I use it a few days running, I always end up with irritation. On this basis, I don’t know which new razor to go for - Game Changer, Muhle Rocca, Karve CB, EJ 3one6, 6S etc etc. My wife is unlikely to be too chuffed if I buy multiple options, so I’d be keen to hear recommendations!

Thanks up front for any suggestions!
Chris.
My votes for the Karve, I have the brass version and with B,C and D plate.I get some great shaves with the D plate. I'm tempted by the steel but can't justify it. Executive shaving stock it in the UK.

I have the GC 84 OC, Jaws, Blackbird OC and Karve D plate OC (but it's brass). Can't speak to head shaving but absent budget considerations Blackbird hands down. No contest IMO.

I have the GC 84 OC, Jaws, Blackbird OC and Karve D plate OC (but it's brass). Can't speak to head shaving but absent budget considerations Blackbird hands down. No contest IMO.

I’ve got all those razors, though I sold my Karve OC D plate and bought an OC F plate to replace it. I probably also like the Blackbird OC best among that group, but it’s also much more blade-forward on my face than the other three. Sometimes I enjoy an effortless, efficient shave without blade feel, in which case I lean on one of those three (or the Paradigm 17-4 or Rocnel Elite 2019 Aggressive).

Rocca and Blackland Dart are both 2 steps down from the 41. The Rocca has a lower profile and gets under the nose better, but the Dart's curved head would might be better on your head.
I found these smoother than the Blackbird with easier to maintain angles.
For me these are 2 pass daily razors.

Timeless .95, ATT H, Karve F are a step down from the Rocca/Dart. Smoothness goes to the Karve. Timeless has the most blade feel and easiest to maintain angle but it is HEAVY. 3 pass daily razors.

You find that Dart and Karve F are below R41 on efficiency scale? Huh, too bad. I was planning to purchase both as I need something more efficient than R41.

What do you find more efficient than R41, then?

The Rocca is my favorite double edge razor. No DE I have used gives me as close a shave. Like you I prefer aggressive razors, and I only like to do two passes. The Game Changer Open Comb is smoother than the Rocca but I don't get quite as close a shave. I didn't care for the Rockwell, due to the large head, but it certainly gives you a wide range of choices in terms of aggressiveness. The other razor I considered before buying the Rocca, at a similar price point, was the Blackland Dart, but I've never shaved with one.

Another alternative you might consider is the new Artist Club single edge Classic Shaving Enoch. It matches my Rocca for closeness, but it is much smoother.

Good luck!
Since I posted this, I have added two razors that you might want to consider, although neither is stainless steel. The first is the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant. It's a double open comb design, and you can buy it for under $10 shipped for the head only. At that price, you really can't go wrong. It's not yet clear to me if it provides a closer shave than my other new acquisition, the Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS). Again, not stainless steel, but solid brass. I bought the gold version from Connaught Shaving in the UK. For UK delivery it would be under 30 GBP shipped. This is the smoothest and best manufactured Fatip I have owned. It is also the smoothest and provides the closest shaves.

I would recommend the GC .84. Of the list above, I own the GC and the Rockwell 6s. I am a bigger fan of the GC.

I find GC.84 much less efficient than R41. It's pretty average to me. But definitely a beautifully crafted razor.

Since I posted this, I have added two razors that you might want to consider, although neither is stainless steel. The first is the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant. It's a double open comb design, and you can buy it for under $10 shipped for the head only. At that price, you really can't go wrong. It's not yet clear to me if it provides a closer shave than my other new acquisition, the Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS). Again, not stainless steel, but solid brass. I bought the gold version from Connaught Shaving in the UK. For UK delivery it would be under 30 GBP shipped. This is the smoothest and best manufactured Fatip I have owned. It is also the smoothest and provides the closest shaves.

I'll have to try the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant. FOCS is so-so. Didn't find it especially efficient under any shaving angle.

IMHO the Yaqi really is the "top" aggressive razor I've found so far. The modern r-41 is in between the Yaqi and the FOCS.

I suggest you to try Feather AS-D2 pair with a Feather blade. Very good in all shaving condition from daily shaving to 3 days beard.

Based on your first post, I'd definitely rule out the 6S.

I'm hesitant in recommending the Rocca because it's not an easy razor to use. I still can't handle it. When the shave is good, is really good, but when is bad is really bad heh. If your technic is solid, the Rocca is a fantastic razor.

I am currently using a Karve with the “C” SB plate. I works very well for me. I have a brass unit and have considered buying a Stainless one but I don’t expect it would shave very different.

Hi all, and happy new year!

I’m after my first ‘proper’ stainless steel DE, after around 6 years of using a small selection of typical chromed alloy models.
I tend to enjoy more aggressive razors, and out of my current 7 razors it’s only the R41 and RazoRock Mentor that really see any use. On the milder side I have an EJ89, and Merkur 33C and 39C that don’t get used at all - I end up over-shaving and irritating my skin with these three, as they’re just not efficient enough. I am a daily head and face shaver, and love the Mentor’s usability on consecutive days. The R41 is a great razor, but if I use it a few days running, I always end up with irritation. On this basis, I don’t know which new razor to go for - Game Changer, Muhle Rocca, Karve CB, EJ 3one6, 6S etc etc. My wife is unlikely to be too chuffed if I buy multiple options, so I’d be keen to hear recommendations!

Thanks up front for any suggestions!
Chris.
Get RR Wunderbar.
It could shave from very effective to non-irritating. Using a steep angle, I can polish repeatedly, super smooth and not irritating, no problem with daily use.

...and if you're looking for a slant that isn't quite so "efficient," I suggest the ATT S1 or S2. I have the S2, one of very few all-stainless open comb slants. It's more aggressive than the S1 so I'm told. I like it so have no reason to try a milder slant...

O.H.
RR Wunderbar is very mild but effective for me, But if I use the wrong angle, she will definitely bite.
She has a little temper, but once masters thepoints, she is very charming. It is very fun to operate, not many people know it.
Thank you.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
RR Wunderbar is very mild but effective for me, But if I use the wrong angle, she will definitely bite. She has a little temper, but once masters thepoints, she is very charming. It is very fun to operate, not many people know it. Thank you.

You're welcome. I have a Wunderbar as well. I agree -- I get some "attitude" from it once in a while. But the shaves are fabulous!

O.H.

Based on your first post, I'd definitely rule out the 6S.

I'm hesitant in recommending the Rocca because it's not an easy razor to use. I still can't handle it. When the shave is good, is really good, but when is bad is really bad heh. If your technic is solid, the Rocca is a fantastic razor.
I'm surprised to hear that you find the Rocca not easy to use, but I guess it comes back to the YMMV motto that qualifies much of what we say on this forum. I find the Rocca to be one of the easiest razors to use. Of the razors I'm currently using, the only one that might be easier to use is the Edwin Jagger 3ONE6. The other 4 (see list below) all require a bit more concentration:
  • Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS)
  • Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant
  • Gem MMOC
  • Enoch AC Single Edge

Top Bottom