What's new

New stainless DE recommendation?

I’ll recommend that you go with the Game Changer .84 as it’s efficient, moderately aggressive and the best bang for your buck out there today.

As far as budget goes, I’m in the UK and would be looking to spend £100 - £130, but want to get it right, as I’ve only spent £35ish before! The Blackland is over and above this, but the Karve is within reach. The Game Changer looks great, but there’s no availability in this country at the moment. Anyone have any experience of the Muhle Rocca?

For a daily driver - the tolerances, low profile, shave quality and handle choice of the GameChanger is hard to beat. The Rocca V4 is more efficient, smooth, has better balance and ergonomics and is beautifully finished but QC in previous versions has been hit and miss. I would agree with others that the Blackbird would probably be the best fit. For me it shaves similar to a Rocca V4 is better finished but does not have the balance or ergonomics of the Rocca. It also has a tad drag compared to other razors. A WTB on UK forums or here should yield you a Blackbird within budget.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As far as budget goes, I’m in the UK and would be looking to spend £100 - £130, but want to get it right, as I’ve only spent £35ish before! The Blackland is over and above this, but the Karve is within reach. The Game Changer looks great, but there’s no availability in this country at the moment. Anyone have any experience of the Muhle Rocca?
You might be right about availability but sooner or later they will stock up. Or just buy it From Razorock and pay a little extra for shipping possibly.
Have some great shaves!

The Karve is available in stainless steel or brass, yes. As for Fatip, I have a Piccolo which shaves pretty well, but the finish on Fatip razors leaves a little to be desired. I’d like my next razor to be of a higher quality than this, and would sooner spend more to get the right product.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I’ll weigh up my options!

Out of left field. I’m advising the Smart Helix Apollo Light. Two plates one medium and the other fairly efficient. Handmade and with a finish as good as any in the world today.
I haven’t heard of this model, but I’ll do some investigating!

Great suggestions in this thread! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The main thing to recognize is that SS may not provide a better shave than what you have now.

Great suggestions in this thread! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The main thing to recognize is that SS may not provide a better shave than what you have now.
No, you’re right there. The main thing I’m looking for is a long-term razor, it’s not really all about the quality of shave. Clearly I want the practicality of a great shaving razor, but I’m sure there’s plenty of models that will tick all the boxes. I’d like to find a nicely finished model that will last, as well as provide excellent performance.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My Fatip Grande leaves nothing to be desired, by me anyway.

IMG_2056.jpg

There are also Joris razors. The heads are made by Fatip. Most, if not all, may be over budget however.

Rasoirs traditionnels - https://www.plisson1808.com/en/31-rasoirs-traditionnels

I understand them to be flawless. As they should be for that price.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:
If you like the high efficiency of R41, you can try the Razorock Wunderbar. Using different angles you can achieve the most exciting to the mildest effect. Slant razors are the best IMO.

Charcoal Goods level 3. A bit more aggressive but smoother than the 41.

Rocca and Blackland Dart are both 2 steps down from the 41. The Rocca has a lower profile and gets under the nose better, but the Dart's curved head would might be better on your head.
I found these smoother than the Blackbird with easier to maintain angles.
For me these are 2 pass daily razors.

Timeless .95, ATT H, Karve F are a step down from the Rocca/Dart. Smoothness goes to the Karve. Timeless has the most blade feel and easiest to maintain angle but it is HEAVY. 3 pass daily razors.

Game Changer Jaws is between these three and the Dart/Rocca. Smooth, low profile head and inexpensive but you load the blade on the base plate not the cap. Very efficient, almost a 2 pass daily.

Occam's Safety Razor full open comb (which isn't) is smooth, a couple steps above the 89 is just below the below the Timeless .95, ATT H, Karve F and you can get just the head for a song. MIM so durability is ? As a bonus the cap works with the 41 base.

I agree with GC.84 and Karve, excellent price, quality and shave. Here's another that I got at Christmas - the Fendrihan stainless with PVD coated head. It was half price at $50cdn, now at $100cdn. I got the gold head. Mid to high aggressiveness. Most efficient razor I have but a little obscure with very little information or reviews online.
Gold stainless1.jpg

Charcoal Goods level 3. A bit more aggressive but smoother than the 41.

Rocca and Blackland Dart are both 2 steps down from the 41. The Rocca has a lower profile and gets under the nose better, but the Dart's curved head would might be better on your head.
I found these smoother than the Blackbird with easier to maintain angles.
For me these are 2 pass daily razors.

Timeless .95, ATT H, Karve F are a step down from the Rocca/Dart. Smoothness goes to the Karve. Timeless has the most blade feel and easiest to maintain angle but it is HEAVY. 3 pass daily razors.

Game Changer Jaws is between these three and the Dart/Rocca. Smooth, low profile head and inexpensive but you load the blade on the base plate not the cap. Very efficient, almost a 2 pass daily.

Occam's Safety Razor full open comb (which isn't) is smooth, a couple steps above the 89 is just below the below the Timeless .95, ATT H, Karve F and you can get just the head for a song. MIM so durability is ? As a bonus the cap works with the 41 base.
Loads of info there, great thanks. 👍🏻

I agree with GC.84 and Karve, excellent price, quality and shave. Here's another that I got at Christmas - the Fendrihan stainless with PVD coated head. It was half price at $50cdn, now at $100cdn. I got the gold head. Mid to high aggressiveness. Most efficient razor I have but a little obscure with very little information or reviews online.
View attachment 1049876

Looks nice. What’s the blade gap? How would you rate the fit and finish?

Looks nice. What’s the blade gap? How would you rate the fit and finish?
Fendrihan doesn't publish their razor blade gaps for some reason. It's more than the GC.84. As for the fit and finish , all I can say is it looks great and there are no tool marks. Weight is good too. I only have the GC, Mamba 70 and a Karve to judge by.

Fendrihan doesn't publish their razor blade gaps for some reason. It's more than the GC.84. As for the fit and finish , all I can say is it looks great and there are no tool marks. Weight is good too. I only have the GC, Mamba 70 and a Karve to judge by.

It looks like it could be a contender. Very nice

Top Bottom