What's new

New stainless DE recommendation?

Hi all, and happy new year!

I’m after my first ‘proper’ stainless steel DE, after around 6 years of using a small selection of typical chromed alloy models.
I tend to enjoy more aggressive razors, and out of my current 7 razors it’s only the R41 and RazoRock Mentor that really see any use. On the milder side I have an EJ89, and Merkur 33C and 39C that don’t get used at all - I end up over-shaving and irritating my skin with these three, as they’re just not efficient enough. I am a daily head and face shaver, and love the Mentor’s usability on consecutive days. The R41 is a great razor, but if I use it a few days running, I always end up with irritation. On this basis, I don’t know which new razor to go for - Game Changer, Muhle Rocca, Karve CB, EJ 3one6, 6S etc etc. My wife is unlikely to be too chuffed if I buy multiple options, so I’d be keen to hear recommendations!

Thanks up front for any suggestions!
Chris.

Rockwell 6S has a range of gaps between .20 and .79, while your EJ DE89 is .76. So I would think that if you can't shave efficiently with that, the Rockwell is ruled out.

I have the Karve with a D plate (.98), and it is a very nice piece of hardware. If you go with the Karve, you have some control over aggressiveness by choosing different plate options, and you could always get additional plates as needed to match your goal in efficiency/comfort.

I highly recommend the Game Changer Jaws. Very smooth and efficient. I have sensitive skin that will not tolerate excess passes. I am not sure why Jaws works so well for me, just happy it does. FWIW, I can only use an R41 2 days in a row without irritation.

My usual. recommendation would be the Rockwell 6s, which is smooth and efficient. But as you like more aggressive razors I will recommend the Rex Ambassador.
As I owe both I can tell you that I use plates 2-6 on the Rockwell but never go over setting 2 on the Rex, because it gives much more blade feel.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

As far as budget goes, I’m in the UK and would be looking to spend £100 - £130, but want to get it right, as I’ve only spent £35ish before! The Blackland is over and above this, but the Karve is within reach. The Game Changer looks great, but there’s no availability in this country at the moment. Anyone have any experience of the Muhle Rocca?

With your budget I would suggest to try the Rockwell instead of. My recommendation above.
Yes it is smooth razor on all settings, but good efficiency at setting 6.
Its kinda autopilot shaver. It simply works.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

Hi,

Im in the UK, and I bought a Gamechanger direct from Italian Barber and it was here in a week with no issues. As long as they are showing in stock you should be fine.

I got the 0.84 SB and then the Jaws, both excellent and great value.

I also have the Karve with multiple plates, both SB and OC. It was not here in a week!

For me, little between the GC and Karve and down to YMMV.

Cheers

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

As far as budget goes, I’m in the UK and would be looking to spend £100 - £130, but want to get it right, as I’ve only spent £35ish before! The Blackland is over and above this, but the Karve is within reach. The Game Changer looks great, but there’s no availability in this country at the moment. Anyone have any experience of the Muhle Rocca?
The Rocca is my favorite double edge razor. No DE I have used gives me as close a shave. Like you I prefer aggressive razors, and I only like to do two passes. The Game Changer Open Comb is smoother than the Rocca but I don't get quite as close a shave. I didn't care for the Rockwell, due to the large head, but it certainly gives you a wide range of choices in terms of aggressiveness. The other razor I considered before buying the Rocca, at a similar price point, was the Blackland Dart, but I've never shaved with one.

Another alternative you might consider is the new Artist Club single edge Classic Shaving Enoch. It matches my Rocca for closeness, but it is much smoother.

Good luck!

I also prefer the R41. Similar higher end options I’ve looked into are as follows...

Karve with OC D plate or CB D or E plate

Blackland blackbird

Nodachi (I dislike the handle and would change it) looks nice with the atlas handle

Timeless $$$

Muhle Rocca (the new stainless one)

I was leaning toward Karve but they are never available and I hear customer service is non existent

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As far as budget goes, I’m in the UK and would be looking to spend £100 - £130, but want to get it right, as I’ve only spent £35ish before! The Blackland is over and above this, but the Karve is within reach. The Game Changer looks great, but there’s no availability in this country at the moment.

The Karve is Brass. Seeing as this doesnt matter, you might look at Fatip.

Fatip Safety Razors - https://connaughtshaving.com/fatip.html

Top Bottom