What's new

New SS Fendrihan Offering

8212A1E1-B73B-4BA7-862E-D09F111C20D0.jpeg

Bronze color PVD coated stainless steel razor. It’s an MK-II for those familiar with Fendrihan’s offerings.

I've been looking for a reasonably priced bronze razor; I'd prefer solid bronze, but PVD coated SS would probably work. Unfortunately for me, I'm also becoming more of an open comb devotee, so this one wouldn't scratch that itch.

M

Member 113878

I got the "regular" SS MKII head a few months ago but didn't like the rough finish at all.
If you look at the base plate in the picture above, you'll see what I mean.
The edge has that roughness, and found that pretty uncomfortable on my skin.

I also got the SS MK II. Opinions on it vary, but I thought it was very smooth, and that it shaved very well, albeit on the mild side (others thought it was aggressive). It’s also great value, US$40 for an SS razor (although since being introduced, some Razorock offerings, especially the Game Changer, also present great value). I ultimately pif’d it to a newbie, not because I didn’t like it but rather because it was great but not getting much use (because of my RAD). For US$50, the PVD coated version seems a good response to the Game Changer, at least in the looks department. I unfortunately already have too many razors that don’t get enough use.

My opinion on the SS MK II: The head obviously has a lot of hand finishing (grinding, sanding, polishing), to the point where it's almost a "no two exactly alike" thing. The first head I got was a disaster, the cap screwed on crooked and could not be aligned with the base no matter what. Fendrihan promptly sent me a replacement head which was fine. Still, if precision is your thing, this doesn't have it. Great shaver, but lots of blade exposure, and if you are clumsy or half-asleep and it slips from your hand or you smack your face with it, it can give you a deep cut. Much different than the Game Changer, which has negative blade exposure.

Much different than the Game Changer, which has negative blade exposure.

Game Changer has positive blade exposure. Mamba is negative, wouldn’t shave close and gave me lots of irritation. For me, the worst razor I’ve ever used. The Game Changer .84 is great though.

Game Changer has positive blade exposure. Mamba is negative, wouldn’t shave close and gave me lots of irritation. For me, the worst razor I’ve ever used. The Game Changer .84 is great though.
My Game Changer .68 appears to have negative blade exposure. Should I return it? Start a nationwide protest? March on Washington? When I get home I'll look at it again and maybe even take a photo.

Last edited:
My Game Changer .68 appears to have negative blade exposure. Should I return it? Start a nationwide protest? March on Washington? When I get home I'll look at it again and maybe even take a photo.

Maybe! But sounds like you just keep getting bum razors. :a36:

Here’s what IB’s site says:

Blade Gap: 0.68 mm

Blade Exposure: Positive

Material: 316L Marine Grade Stainless Steel

It definitely is not the Mamba, whose exposure is negative (both as stated on the IB site and as I can painfully attest).

Maybe! But sounds like you just keep getting bum razors. :a36:

Here’s what IB’s site says:

Blade Gap: 0.68 mm

Blade Exposure: Positive

Material: 316L Marine Grade Stainless Steel

It definitely is not the Mamba, whose exposure is negative (both as stated on the IB site and as I can painfully attest).
Well, as you won't be surprised to hear, I took a much closer look at the GC, and it does indeed have positive blade exposure, though only very slightly. I don't have the measurement capability, but when compared to the Old Type, which probably has the most blade exposure of anything I have, I wouldn't be surprised if the GC has one tenth as much. The Fendrihan also has far more blade exposure, though not as much as the Old Type.
The only "bum razor" I've ever had is that first Fendrihan mkII, and Fendrihan promptly fixed the problem by sending me a good one. They didn't even make me send the bad one back.

Mark II is one of my best shavers. The handle and top cap are very nice and polished well. If they did it by hand, good for them, they did a great job. I did not have to polish anything I received from them unlike other razors I’ve had to work on. If there is a QC issue, which does happen with them, they send a replacement immediately. I had one, they sent a both a baseplate and a cap.

They don’t hide their baseplate in the pictures. It is a love it or hate it thing. I kinda like the rough look, reminds me of the old dimpled stainless cases and cameras from back in the day. On their website, it is very clear what you are getting so if you want a polished stainless mirror shine on a baseplate, save up for a Timeless. If you are concerned about a dimpled baseplate finish, you are really missing out.

Mark II is one of my best shavers. The handle and top cap are very nice and polished well. If they did it by hand, good for them, they did a great job. I did not have to polish anything I received from them unlike other razors I’ve had to work on. If there is a QC issue, which does happen with them, they send a replacement immediately. I had one, they sent a both a baseplate and a cap.

They don’t hide their baseplate in the pictures. It is a love it or hate it thing. I kinda like the rough look, reminds me of the old dimpled stainless cases and cameras from back in the day. On their website, it is very clear what you are getting so if you want a polished stainless mirror shine on a baseplate, save up for a Timeless. If you are concerned about a dimpled baseplate finish, you are really missing out.
Yes, I didn't mean to say or imply otherwise. A very good shaver for me too, and hard to argue with the price. As for the QC issue, I sent them an e-mail about it, and had a replacement in my hands less than two weeks later, even though they are in Canada and I am in the US. When the customer service is that good, QC issues like mine don't mean very much.

I tried to like my stainless but that leading edge was sharp, and the blade exposure differed. I could have sent it back but didn't. I will say they have great handles. Very sturdy, long and heavy. The bronze handle might be nice. The stainless handles are on sale btw.

I tried to like my stainless but that leading edge was sharp, and the blade exposure differed. I could have sent it back but didn't. I will say they have great handles. Very sturdy, long and heavy. The bronze handle might be nice. The stainless handles are on sale btw.
You should still send it back. That uneven exposure, extreme enough to be easily seen by the naked eye, makes the razor crazy-aggressive. When you replace it with a good head, which they will gladly give you, it's totally different and vastly smoother, though still pretty aggressive. Send them an e-mail with photos.

Top Bottom