What's new

New Simpson Buffalo Horn Brushes

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There are some new Simpson brushes on their website right now in genuine buffalo horn. Nice prices too!

To my eye, the handle shapes do not look quite right, especially the M7 and the Duke. I have seen this before with other Simpson handles made from natural materials, somehow the shapes seem different, very nice, but different.

1645194428386.png

Can you elaborate on that? I haven't really had any issues with it on my straight razors, but maybe it's more problematic in a larger chunk like a brush handle.
Soap/water do not mix with natural materials. Resin is simply a far better material for the intended use. To maintain horn, you can put neets foot oil on it but it eventually dries out without very frequent application. It can crack and just looks awful and not like when you first get it.

I saw these and they're really cool. Unlike SR scales which you can keep relatively dry, i don't see how that's possible with a brush. I see these as collector pieces and not something one would actually use to lather with. I would imagine if you get the horn really wet its going to swell and crack and more than likely that knot is coming loose. Maybe a brush to use very gently one time and put it on teh shelf to collect dust.

I have an old Plisson HMW in a cattle horn handle. The handle is full of cracks. Neatsfoot oil makes it glossy but once it’s cracked it doesn‘t uncrack. It still works fine and the knot is the equal of Rooney finest (almost). Possibly storing it in controlled humidity would preserve it but what use is that? Water buffalo might hold up better, I don’t know.

The Simpson prices are steep for buffalo horn. Plisson offered some pre-ban ivory brushes about 10 years ago and they were priced at ~$800 for a size 12. They only made 4 or 5 so quite a fair price. Unfortunately they used a very floppy, low grade bristle so the brushes were not much good.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Perhaps we ought to start a poll. Whose "What did you use today?" or similar thread post will first feature this bargain Chubby?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
+1! That is more expensive than my first car!! :facep::facep:
I felt over indulgent when I bought my BK4 and BKB4. I felt truly over the top excessive when I got my ATT Windsor. I cannot imagine lathering up with that Chubby and scraping the old physiognomy with a Wolfman or a Rocnel. This is a hobby with rabbit holes decorated with $100 bills for wallpaper!

Top Bottom