What's new

New Short Comb v.s. Long Comb (Sharks in the water!)

EXCELLENT work! Thanks for putting this into words. I am cleaning a NEW up as I write this, I think it is a long comb. Does anyone know, what was the original reason for the 2 versions? It looks as though only the upper part of the comb would contact the face. I have read posts from head-shavers who really appreciate the long comb, saying it scrapes their head less. I am interested to try mine!

My everyday razor has been the Futur for a while now, and I was curious about the differences between these two as well as the improved - so thanks for this thread.

I just bought a New long-comb with a bar handle which I am eager to try.

It sounds like a great razor; if I like it, I'll buff it up and send it out for re-plating.

For a nice exposition on open-comb versus Straight Edge (Safety Bar) vs. Slant bar go to QEDUSA, click on a Jagger razor ad and follow the link "straight edge vs. open comb". I think something like this would be a good addition to the Badger and Blade FAQ.

Here are the razors being experimented with. The heads are really very, very different, aside from the length of the combs. The blade rests on the Long Comb, on a very planed, flat surface, while on the Short Comb, the blade rests on a much more curved surface. Very curious.

I am curious too now. What do other think of this? Has anyone tried both and found them to be very different?

The shave off was completed yesterday with the short and long toothed News battling it out, going head to head in a 4 round match. In fairness it was a tie in terms of smoothness and closeness of shave. SAS everyday. If I had to choose, I would give a slight advantage to the long tooth maybe just a snerkle more comfortable, but truly the difference is negligible in my book. So these are fabulous razors, you can't go wrong with either and with out a doubt they should not only be in every wet shavers collection, but in their rotation as well.

P.S. Shark blades are the cat's meow.

Good to know. I typed my last post because I didn't see the other ones, I only saw the pictures. It was redundant, my last post, it was because of my computer I think.

I am curious too now. What do other think of this? Has anyone tried both and found them to be very different?

I tried a long comb earlier in my wet shaving career, and found it too aggressive. I currently have a short comb, which I am enjoying. Unfortunately, I no longer have two to compare.

There was an earlier discussion on New short vs long combs. Someone referenced the following link, which provides great information.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=162987

I looked at this thread, and other information on our site, before buying a New short, thinking it would be mild. I try to compare my razors to the number on my Merkur Progress, which I generally use at 1.75 to 3, depending on the blade. I'd rate the NEW short a 2.5, and about as aggressive as I feel comfortable handling.

B T W - I find the Shark and Irridium blades are great in this razor and I can get five good shaves using them.

There was an earlier discussion on New short vs long combs. Someone referenced the following link, which provides great information.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=162987

I looked at this thread, and other information on our site, before buying a New short, thinking it would be mild. I try to compare my razors to the number on my Merkur Progress, which I generally use at 1.75 to 3, depending on the blade. I'd rate the NEW short a 2.5, and about as aggressive as I feel comfortable handling.

B T W - I find the Shark and Irridium blades are great in this razor and I can get five good shaves using them.

I definitely wouldn't call either NEW "mild" :w00t: NEWs definitely demand respect!

This really is fantastic. Anybody els have bothe long and short combs of the same model and can do some testing as well?

I use a Goodwill long comb head (which is very much like the NEW) on an ABC handle (found it that way) and like it very much. I've always wondered exactly what the difference in shave is between long and short combs. But I'm curious, is the part of the comb that is longer than the short actually in a position to make a difference in the way it shaves? Or is it merely a way to add weight to the head. This of course assumes that all other aspects of the heads are equal (ie., shape of the base plate which effects the angle of the blade etc...).

I definitely wouldn't call either NEW "mild" :w00t: NEWs definitely demand respect!

Completely the opposite of my impression of a beautiful long-comb NEW I bought at an antique store. Brought it home and washed it and put it to work.

Comfortable, to be sure, but no more aggressive than a 40s Tech. After a few days I put it away because it took too many passes to get a decent shave.

Go figure....

Top Bottom