What's new

New shaving soap, how to get it in the bowl

I just recieved a ceramic bowl and col. conk soap. The soap is in a plastic container, and I'm wondering how to transfer from plastic to bowl. One idea I've seen is to melt the soap into my bowl via microwave. Is that a good option or do I need to mill it?

Hadn't thought of that, and got a seperate bowl to lather in, besides the bowl that came with the soap is too good looking not to display lol

I lather my soaps in a separate clean bowl which I keep at the sink. I keep the soap in a separate covered container. Since the "Colonel" gives you the container already, use that to load the brush and make the lather in your bowl. Clean it after the shave and keep it on display!

I lather my soaps in a separate clean bowl which I keep at the sink. I keep the soap in a separate covered container. Since the "Colonel" gives you the container already, use that to load the brush and make the lather in your bowl. Clean it after the shave and keep it on display!
+1

+2

+3 Nothing better than a beautiful bowl to hold the face protecting lather of life!

Actually most of Col. Conk's soaps melt using the modified double boiler method -- bring some water to just about boiling, pour into a pan, place soap in bowl and then place bowl in pan of water. Some use a microwave but artisan ceramic bowls can crack if microwaved and you can ruin the soap if exposed to microwaves too long at one time (30 seconds of exposure at a time is all it takes). The modified double-boiler method melts the soap in less than ten minutes anyway, there is no risk of ruining the soap and you can melt directly in your desired shaving bowl. You can change the water for fresh hot water at five minutes or so to speed up the melting.

Do not try to melt the ALMOND scented soap, however. That soap is not a glycerin-based soap (I think it is tallow-based but don't know for sure) and would need to be melted using the traditional double-boiler set-up on a stove at very low heat for a long time.

Top Bottom