What's new

New shaving soap "discovery"

I've discovered a new shaving soap, it might not be new, but it's new to me. I was browsing ebay a few weeks ago and came across a shaving soap by the name of Seagrapes Studio. I was intrigued and decided to take a chance on a few tins. I must say that I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I've written a small review, and posted lather shots. You can read my review here.

Never heard of that soap before!

Gonna look into this. I like the minimalist list of ingredients and the price point. It'll be on my next ebay order!

Very good review and the soap plus packaging looks very similar to Mike's. We seem to talk about the same old soaps over and over again so I think it is great when something new is brought to our attention. The photos of the lather indicate a high quality shave soap with skin friendly ingredients.

Never heard of that soap before!

Gonna look into this. I like the minimalist list of ingredients and the price point. It'll be on my next ebay order!

They're not listed on the bay right now, you can check out her website, though.

Thank you for the review and taking the chance on trying it out. Looks interesting.

Ben

Thanks. I like to take chances, I've found a few "unknown" soaps that I consider to be gems.

Very good review and the soap plus packaging looks very similar to Mike's. We seem to talk about the same old soaps over and over again so I think it is great when something new is brought to our attention. The photos of the lather indicate a high quality shave soap with skin friendly ingredients.

Thanks. The tins are a little smaller and are screw tops.

The label looks an awful lot like Mike's. The soap may be great, but come up with an original look, at least...

Mike's was the only tallow shave soap with lanolin and kokum butter.

This new one also has lanolin and kokum butter...how convenient!

It might be a great soap but looks like a copy of Mike's fairly unique recipe and the tins look so similar!!

It might be a great soap but looks like a copy of Mike's fairly unique recipe and the tins look so similar!!

The least of my concerns is packaging. It's a great performer, and the soaps are completely different. Mike's are soft and pliable, Seagrapes are in puck form and a bit harder than Mike's. What about a couple of the English companies that share the same wooden bowl? Or Taylor and Trumper that pretty much share identical ingredients? Packaging is definitely the least of my concern here.

Just wanted to chime in on this thread as I too have just discovered how good Seagrapes Studio's soaps are, and I have MickToley to thank for it. I was one of the winners in his recent PIF for a sample of a Seagrapes soap whose scent didn't quite make the cut. The performance of the soap was, however, outstanding. My regular lathering technique (Omega boar brush soaked in cold water, give a hard squeeze so no water drips out, load brush for 30 seconds and then face lather) produced a thick, cushiony lather which lasted for three passes and subsequent touch-ups on the neck. There was no sensation of any irritation from the soap in the last passes as can sometimes happen from the fragrance in some soaps, and my Lord razor with a Lord Platinum blade on its second shave produced a DFS all around. Next time I will experiment with loading more product and see what happens. I was impressed when reading the ingredient list as well...seems like some premium oils in there for a modest price. I'm impressed!

tl;dr - This is a great soap. Lather was rich and thick, and I will definitely be purchasing some in the future. Thanks MickToley!

sleepy

Another similarity, both Brooklynites. Although Mike recently moved.

Just wanted to chime in on this thread as I too have just discovered how good Seagrapes Studio's soaps are, and I have MickToley to thank for it. I was one of the winners in his recent PIF for a sample of a Seagrapes soap whose scent didn't quite make the cut. The performance of the soap was, however, outstanding. My regular lathering technique (Omega boar brush soaked in cold water, give a hard squeeze so no water drips out, load brush for 30 seconds and then face lather) produced a thick, cushiony lather which lasted for three passes and subsequent touch-ups on the neck. There was no sensation of any irritation from the soap in the last passes as can sometimes happen from the fragrance in some soaps, and my Lord razor with a Lord Platinum blade on its second shave produced a DFS all around. Next time I will experiment with loading more product and see what happens. I was impressed when reading the ingredient list as well...seems like some premium oils in there for a modest price. I'm impressed!

tl;dr - This is a great soap. Lather was rich and thick, and I will definitely be purchasing some in the future. Thanks MickToley!

sleepy

No problem, enjoy. :001_smile

Another similarity, both Brooklynites. Although Mike recently moved.

No, the owner is not from Brooklyn, I am, though. The owner is from Illinois.

Top Bottom