What's new

New Shaver Stepping Up .

SHAVE 10

I skipped shaving this morning to get a day and a half of growth to be fair to the Astra SP I tapped in tonight. This is my third shave with the Astra SP and tonight the blade felt smoother than the first two shaves. Bizarre but true. It still isnt as smooth as the Shark Super Chrome IMO. The end result is a nice shave. I have one more shave left with each blade.

I am really getting into DE shaving. It's such a nice ritual.

Nice kit to start with. Good luck and listen to those that have experience here. Take it from another newbie that is learning some things the hard way, patience, time, and technique. And enjoy! Welcome to B&B..

SHAVE 11

Finished out my fourth shave with the Shark Super Chrome this evening. Another good shave but I can tell the blade is pretty much done. Still smooth, just losing its edge. It's time to toss this one.

SHAVE 12

Last night I finished my fourth shave with the Astra SP. I probably could get one more shave out of this blade but I am going to toss it. It isnt as smooth as I would like but it did another close shave.

ASTRA SP vs SHARK SUPER CHROME --- BLADE SHOOTOUT RESULTS

I performed four shaves with each blade under the same conditions. My opinion is:

Astra SP
Pros: Forgiving, close shave. Very affordable.
Cons: Not smooth. Wax globs on the blade trap goop making the razor more difficult to clean.

Shark Super Chrome
Pros: Smooth, medium sharpness, close shave. Affordable.
Cons: Not as forgiving as the Astra SP but close.

Decision
Shark Super Chrome is the winner IMHO due to its smoothness.

SHARK SUPER CHROME vs FEATHER HI-STAINLESS RAZOR BLADES

As luck would have it my wife surprised me with Proraso white preshave creme (green tea and oatmeal). I plan to use this as my preshave for this comparison. I will start with the Shark super chrome tonight, going with the theme of using what I know. Tomorrow I will swap the blade out for the Feather. I can't wait to see how these compare! These last few weeks have been building up to the feather and now I am excited that I am only a day away :)

I will post my experience with the Shark tonight. I dont expect anything surprising as I feel this blade is smooth. The question is how much smoother will it be using Proraso white?

SHAVE 13

Shaved last night with a fresh Shark SC blade and proraso white. Good close shave. Boy does Proraso tingle. This is my baseline for comparing to the Feather. The moment is almost upon me and I'm really ready for my first shave with it.

SHAVE 14

Last night was my first shave with the almighty Feather and let me say this blade is very smooth with a nice close shave. I'm interested in how well this blade holds up to four shaves. So far so good.

Last edited:
SHAVE 15

Tonight was my second shave with the Shark SC in this series. Boy oh boy this blade just wont go down without a fight. So far the feather feels smoother gliding effortless across my face. The Shark SC is a good second IMHO.

I am loving your "play by play." Or in this case, "shave by shave." I was thinking of getting the Proraso pre/post shave how much "tingle" is it?

I am loving your "play by play." Or in this case, "shave by shave." I was thinking of getting the Proraso pre/post shave how much "tingle" is it?

Good morning Magicmdj and thank you. It is a moderately-strong tingle. I'd rate it a 6/10. It feels refreshing but not "hot" or irritating. It's not the slickest preshave that I have used. I plan to try Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Shave Cream as a preshave to compare against it. No tingling expected from Neutrogena, but another thread raved about how slick it is. I figure at $5 its cheap enough to try.

What do you use as a preshave? Have a favorite blade? What type of razor do you use?

Thank you for the response, I think I will avoid the Proraso pre/post cream. I don't like when my face tingles.

A)I love Gillette Silver blue, I own 500 of them. I am really digging PolSilver and want to order more. Next favorite is The "Yellow" Pack of Gillette 7 o'clock.

B)As for pre shave, I have used Art of shaving "Unscented pre shave oil". However, recently I have switched to a shave soap, Art of Shaving "Sandalwood," and find I don't need a pre shave oil. I think the biggest thing that helps is Anthony "Glycolic Face wash." It is expensive but I love it.

C)I use an Ikon OSS, and still go back to my Mach 3, I am still developing my technique. I have tried the neutrogena in the past but hated the smell.

Just a heads up, I have very little hair growth. It takes me a very long time to get any real stubble. So for pre shave I just wash my face, while in the shower. Get out lather my badger brush in my shave soap, apply to face. I do one pass WTG, and I am done. Although on my neck I have to do one ATG with my Mach 3.

I had to give up on the Anthony Shave cream because it has a tingle too, not as much as Jack Black Beard lube but it is there. This is why I like the Art of shaving, no tingle, just good smell .
For post shave I use Anthony "After Shave Balm". It has lasted over a year and is only 2.5 oz a little goes along way. It also contains witch hazel.

By the way I have tried Anthony "pre shave oil", avoid that product. It is super ultra thick.

I am going to try Nevermore Body Co aftershave balm soon it has witch hazel and no Alchohol. They are much cheaper, and there scents are KILLER! I love there Whiskey Scent.
http://nbcwholesale.myshopify.com/collections/shaving

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps.

SHAVE 16

Tonight was my second shave with the smooth, er I mean Fea-ther in this series. All I can say is wow. Let me say it again, WOW! I'm really enjoying this blade. A light touch is all it takes and it does all the work for you. I was cautious before trying this blade. I know, it is really sharp. It defines sharp. Use good technique (mine is getting better with practice) and a light touch and this sharp blade will reward you with a clean, close shave. The big Q is how will this blade hold up to the fourth shave? I'm anxious to find out.

Thank you for the response, I think I will avoid the Proraso pre/post cream. I don't like when my face tingles.

A)I love Gillette Silver blue, I own 500 of them. I am really digging PolSilver and want to order more. Next favorite is The "Yellow" Pack of Gillette 7 o'clock.

B)As for pre shave, I have used Art of shaving "Unscented pre shave oil". However, recently I have switched to a shave soap, Art of Shaving "Sandalwood," and find I don't need a pre shave oil. I think the biggest thing that helps is Anthony "Glycolic Face wash." It is expensive but I love it.

C)I use an Ikon OSS, and still go back to my Mach 3, I am still developing my technique. I have tried the neutrogena in the past but hated the smell.

Just a heads up, I have very little hair growth. It takes me a very long time to get any real stubble. So for pre shave I just wash my face, while in the shower. Get out lather my badger brush in my shave soap, apply to face. I do one pass WTG, and I am done. Although on my neck I have to do one ATG with my Mach 3.

I had to give up on the Anthony Shave cream because it has a tingle too, not as much as Jack Black Beard lube but it is there. This is why I like the Art of shaving, no tingle, just good smell .
For post shave I use Anthony "After Shave Balm". It has lasted over a year and is only 2.5 oz a little goes along way. It also contains witch hazel.

By the way I have tried Anthony "pre shave oil", avoid that product. It is super ultra thick.

I am going to try Nevermore Body Co aftershave balm soon it has witch hazel and no Alchohol. They are much cheaper, and there scents are KILLER! I love there Whiskey Scent.
http://nbcwholesale.myshopify.com/collections/shaving

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps.

Happy to hear your perspective and thanks for sharing. I dont love Proraso enough to reco the preshave (yet). Mabey I will change my mind later. I was thinking about what blades I would try next. All three of the ones you listed above are next on my list. I'd love to hear what your impression is of the Feather in comparison.

I never really got into preshave oils. They dont get slick enough for me and leave a mess in the sink. If oil is a 10/10 for sink slime, then Proraso is a 4/10 for sink slime. IMO a preshave needs to be super slick and therefore should easily rinse out of the sink. At least that is my thought for what it is worth. :) Do you leave Anthony Glycolic Face wash on your face or rinse it off?

That Ikon OSS is one nice looking razor. Which side of the razor do you usually use (bar or comb)? A lot of people complain about the Neutrogena smell. That is a turn off for me too. I'm rethinking getting it now. In the early shaves, I was very cautious around my nose and I switched back to my mach 3 a couple of times to get close. I practiced with my DE and now its no issue. Hang in there and keep practicing. You will get better. Try not to get the M3 out so you can work on your technique. Believe me it will come faster than you think. And that HW you are packing is top notch, it will do most of the work for you.

I have thicker but regular hair growth. The stubble can be tough. That is probably why I like the sharper blades. I define one shave as two passes. So when I say I do four shaves with a blade, that means I did eight passes. If you are only doing one pass, then I would expect you could get double the shaves because you are doing half the passes which is good for you.

Please reply and let me know how you like the Nevermore Body Co aftershave balm. Thanks for the link. Their products have a period correct looking label. Very sexy IMO. I follow up my shaves with an alum bar, Thayer's witch hazel with aloe and moisturizer. I have Proraso green after shave but in the beginning the combination of all these products started irritating my skin. I narrowed it down to the Proraso which I believe was drying it out. Maybe I will have better luck in the summer.

AOS has good products. I have a sample pack I need to go back and try once this blade comparison is over. I really appreciate your input and dialog. Keep sharing and if you have a thread going, feel free to paste the link here. All good. Good luck on your next shave. :)

As for the Anthony Face wash I just wash my face with it, so it does get rinsed off. It just gets my face very clean, one thing you need for a good shave.
I find, when using a pre shave oil, that if you use an eye dropper; I only need about 3 to 6 drops of oil.

For the OSS I use the close comb side more, I just like the feel more.

I have yet to try a feather, I am worried of two things) a) I will cut my face up b) I will love it and will have to buy a lot of blades for it.

As for the Neutrogena issue go to the store and sniff it, decide then; that's why they have brick and mortar stores.

As for the longevity of my blades, I don't pay attention. All I know is that Derby, and bluebird blades seemed to literally rip the hair off of my face and not cut it.

As for face drying out, use a balm and avoid menthol.
Just remember "It rubs the lotion on the skin, otherwise it gets the hose again!"

SHAVES 17 & 18

Both blades continue to give a good shave but it is clear they are starting to lose their edges. Two more wonderful shaves.

Sounds like things are really coming together for you, Chris. Great work, and thanks for your shave journal as well.:thumbup: It's a good resource for others just starting out.

Top Bottom