What's new

New Shaver Stepping Up .

I have to thank (blame) my buddy Bob for convincing me to switch from a cartridge to a DE shaver. I'm hoping it is every bit as luxurious as he says it is :)

I also want to thank all the folks at Badger & Blade for your reviews and opinions which helped me make an informed decision :)

My wife gave me a very nice birthday present, a Muhle R89 in rose gold. The picture doesn't do it justice. It's a work of art IMHO. My order from QED http://www.qedusa.com/ came in today and I'm starting out with the following gear:

1. Preshave glycerin soap (Whole Foods 365, not shown)
2. Taylor of Old Bond Street Avacado Shaving Cream (smells very good)
3. Saville Row 3118 Silvertip Badger (Rooney 3/1 was a close runner up and definately a candidate for my next brush)
4. Muhle R89 DE razor
5. Razor blades: a. Astra SP, b. Shark Super Chrome and c. Feather Platinum (in the order I plan to try them)
6. THAYERS Toner Unscented Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera (not shown)
7. Proraso after shave lotion with eucalyptus oil and menthol (nice scent)
8. QEDman Alum Cube
9. Hemo-stop styptic pencil (hoping I don't need this but always good to be prepared)
10. Parker chrome brush/razor stand.

The shave brush took the longest to select. So many good brushes out there with different hair types. The SR 3118 is a small brush. From what I have read some badger brushes have an animal scent to them. This brush has a light scent but it isnt unpleasant. The bristles feel soft yet firm. I'll post more on this after my first shave. I chose a smaller knot size 18mm thinking if I want to go bigger I can use this as a travel brush. I'm excited to try it tonight.

I have been using Thayers for a few days while waiting for my supplies to come in. It has an odd but light smell even though it is scentless. It feels good on my skin and leaves it soft.

I plan to take it slow and I am hoping I can get good technique quickly. I will post again after my first shave this evening. Wish me luck! :)

Best,
Chris

Attachments

• $IMG_1556.jpg
    $IMG_1556.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Nice gear! Really dig that razor, it looks amazing. If the brush smell is too much (honestly, any smell other than your shave soap is too much, imo) then a long soak in some mild soap, like dishwasher gel, works very well to remove any unwanted smells.

I shaved with my DE razor for the first time tonight and I thought I would share the experience. My goal was to do two passes (with and against the grain) with as few cuts/nicks as possible.

I took a nice hot shower before shaving.

The SR brush did a good job lathering up. I took my time like Bob suggested. Started with an almond size amount of cream and a few drops of water. Mix. Add drops of water. Mix. Repeat until luxurious lather. I'm hoping for some honest feedback from the experience B&Bers on how my lather looks. I'm not sure if I should have kept working it. I really don't know what good lather looks or feels like. The brush felt good on my face and I had enough lather for three shaves if I wanted.
$SR_3118.JPG
After the lather was made, I washed my face with the glycerin bar, rinsed and lathered up with shaving cream. I'm learning to listen to the razor and adjust my technique. I'll be honest, I made it without cutting myself, but I didn't give myself a very good shave. I expect that to come with practice. It was more difficult for me to shave against the grain when shaving the top of my face versus neck area. The alum bar didn't talk to me until I ran it over my chin area but even there it was a light sensation.

In closing, I am very happy with tonight's shave and I know it will only get better as my technique improves.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B, Chris!

Wow, your wife is a DEFINITE keeper!! That razor is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!:w00t: The rest of your kit is all first-rate, too. Glad to hear that your first shave with it went so well--CONGRATS!!!!:clap::a14::clap::a14::clap:

If you get a chance, head over to our Hall of Fame and introduce yourself in a bit more detail. If you run into problems or have questions, feel free to post them up. We're a welcoming and well-mannered bunch here, and like lending a hand.

Enjoy your time with us, happy shaving and once again WELCOME!

Really nice birthday present. Your wife has good taste (if she didn't consult with you).

Welcome aboard and glad to have ya!

Welcome to B&B! And that is an amazing starting kit. As long as you are happy with the performance of the lather, then its perfect. And congrats on zero nicks on your first DE shave.

My wife knew of my interest from all the conversations I had with my buddy on the subject matter. She had help picking out the razor from one of the local shops. The rest of the gear was selected by me with input from my buddy Bob and B&B forums. Overall, very happy with everything.

SHAVE TWO

The prep and routine are the same as before. I'm starting to get the hang of it and have a better shave than before. Still working on the areas of my face with sharper curves but I did a much better job than day one.

One complaint I have about the Astra SP blade is the glue glob on the blade tends to hold sludge to it. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I remove the glue glob from the blade? It's a PITA job if that is what everyone is doing.

Ah, the Glue Spot Debate! This, along with "What are those numbers on the blade for?" might be the most-often-asked questions for new shavers. As with most things here, the answer is a resounding, "It depends!"

The "glue" (it's actually wax, used to keep the blade from contacting the wrapper during shipping and hence dulling it)--unless it actually is ON the cutting edge--will not affect your shave one whit. Some guys elect to just ignore it and shave away. Others (and I tend to be in this camp) are bothered by them for one reason or another and want them gone.

It sounds like you might be in the "Banish the glue spots!" camp yourself. There are lots of ways to get those pesky spots gone: some guys use an old blade to scrape them off when installing a new blade, others hold the blade (in or out of a razor) under hot water until the wax melts. Either way will work. Either way you are taking a risk of cutting yourself on the blade. Is it worth that risk? Only you can decide.

Top Bottom