What's new

New shaver here

I’m sure there has been a thousand of these posts. So I’m looking for advice with a couple things.

First:
I still haven’t purchased a DE Razor yet I’ve researched myself into a corner lol but I’ve decided I think on a milord 40s Gillette with a smooth band. Just love the look of it. If someone would like to help me date it I would appreciate that I can post pics.

Second: I’m currently using Cremo cooling shave cream and love it for its cooling features.
Was hoping to get some recommendations for some soaps and creams that are minty with a real cooling aspect also if you could recommend some aftershaves with the same it would be appreciated.

Thanks again. PS I’m located in Canada

Stirling make some amazing soaps with menthol.. It gives a nice Cooling effect during and after the shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B. I would second Stirling they make very good soap and after shaves. I would suggest you look on their website and find some scents you might like and buy some samples. Their samples are good sized. Maggard's sales samples also. Hope this helps.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I believe they are 41 or 46 Milord models.

For soaps i say Sterling Eucalyptus. Its nice. For aftershave i use Osage Rub wich is like menthol your fave off.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’m sure there has been a thousand of these posts. So I’m looking for advice with a couple things.

First:
I still haven’t purchased a DE Razor yet I’ve researched myself into a corner lol but I’ve decided I think on a milord 40s Gillette with a smooth band. Just love the look of it. If someone would like to help me date it I would appreciate that I can post pics.

Second: I’m currently using Cremo cooling shave cream and love it for its cooling features.
Was hoping to get some recommendations for some soaps and creams that are minty with a real cooling aspect also if you could recommend some aftershaves with the same it would be appreciated.

Welcome! Enjoy your time spent here. The Milord is 1940/1941 if it lacks end caps. If it has end caps (and a smooth band on the handle), it is a 1946. Should give you the same shave — it just depends on whether you like the look of the end caps. I myself prefer the look without caps.

Here’s my recommendations for shave soaps with a cooling effect as well as aftershaves.
Soaps
Chiseled Face Cryogen
Proraso Green
Stirling Orange Chill
PAA Cold Spices

Aftershaves
Chiseled Face Cryogen
Proraso Green
PAA Frost Byte
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
PAA Cold Spices

Hope this helps.

I also agree on Proraso green, it’s inexpensive and has been around forever. If you live in Canada and might want a modern razor I definitely would recommend the Karve razor,it is priced great for an all brass razor, it has multiple levels of baseplates, it’s extremely well made and from Canada. Welcome to the forum

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

First:

Welcome to the forum from another Canuck! There are a few of us around here..

The 1940's Gillettes are nice razors. I have a 1940 Gillette Regent Tech I really like.

You might also look at Fatips, but bear in mind they demand a fairly solid technique to get the most from. For what they cost however, they're a steal.

This is my best performing DE razor.

Fatip Grande Open Comb Razor – Gold Finish | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

I think it came to $48CAD by the time it got to me from Michigan. Maggard offers an inexpensive international shipping option.

Connaught in the UK is another great shop with inexpensive shipping.

Another highly regarded razor is the RazorRock DE1 and Tech II. They both have the same head, only the handles differ.

RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

RazoRock Teck II Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

Then there are blades. You can buy as few, or as many as you like from Try A Blade.

Being in Canada, you can buy Proraso soaps, both White (non menthol) and Green (Menthol) at Shoppers Drug Mart. They also carry Omega boar brushes. I think I paid just under $20 for mine a year and a half ago. They're great brushes but need a long break in time. Shoppers also carries Nivea Shave Cream. Its good stuff but not mentholated, and a little goes a long way.

As others have said, Stirling Menthol soaps are very good. The Stirling sample soaps are a great buy. I have 12 left and I've been using some for over a year! The Stirling menthols are a lot colder than Proraso and if you want even more chill, they also make Glacial soaps loaded with menthol.

Iced Pineapple, Margaritas in the Arctic and Frozen Tundra are my favorites. Not Glacials but plenty cold enough for me.

If you buy some Stirling samples. the labels peel off the wrapper and can be stuck to the lids of containers you can get at Dollarama 3/$1.25 and they have twist and lock bases for stacking.

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_2211.JPG

Welcome to the forum from another Canuck! There are a few of us around here..

The 1940's Gillettes are nice razors. I have a 1940 Gillette Regent Tech I really like.

You might also look at Fatips, but bear in mind they demand a fairly solid technique to get the most from. For what they cost however, they're a steal.

This is my best performing DE razor.

Fatip Grande Open Comb Razor – Gold Finish | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

I think it came to $48CAD by the time it got to me from Michigan. Maggard offers an inexpensive international shipping option.

Connaught in the UK is another great shop with inexpensive shipping.

Another highly regarded razor is the RazorRock DE1 and Tech II. They both have the same head, only the handles differ.

RazoRock DE1 Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

RazoRock Teck II Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

Then there are blades. You can buy as few, or as many as you like from Try A Blade.

Being in Canada, you can buy Proraso soaps, both White (non menthol) and Green (Menthol) at Shoppers Drug Mart. They also carry Omega boar brushes. I think I paid just under $20 for mine a year and a half ago. They're great brushes but need a long break in time. Shoppers also carries Nivea Shave Cream. Its good stuff but not mentholated, and a little goes a long way.

As others have said, Stirling Menthol soaps are very good. The Stirling sample soaps are a great buy. I have 12 left and I've been using some for over a year! The Stirling menthols are a lot colder than Proraso and if you want even more chill, they also make Glacial soaps loaded with menthol.

Iced Pineapple, Margaritas in the Arctic and Frozen Tundra are my favorites. Not Glacials but plenty cold enough for me.

If you buy some Stirling samples. the labels peel off the wrapper and can be stuck to the lids of containers you can get at Dollarama 3/$1.25 and they have twist and lock bases for stacking.

View attachment 911184

View attachment 911185

Awsome thank you all for the warm welcome! I look forward to my journey to find what works for me.

Looks like I will have to look up stirling as everyone seems to recommend it. I bought Proraso cream and soap today I will try it tomorrow with my Cartridge razor which I can’t wait to toss in the garbage.
The Karve razor looks great and I may try that one aswell.
I’m in northern Alberta btw

I bought Proraso cream and soap today ...
Oh dear, I'm too late to save you with my usual anti-Proraso Green rant.
Proraso Green certainly has the menthol, but IMHO it (the kind in the tub) is at the bottom of my list. It just isn't slick enough. Proraso Red though, is in my top five, for lather plus scent.
I’m in northern Alberta btw
Try Fendrihan Canada - Shaving, Grooming and Men's Gifts or Shaving – ItalianBarber for a nice variety of shaving stuff and avoid the hassle of cross-border purchases. They both have some nice products under their own brand names too.

I just bought glacial wintergreen soap from stirling to try aswell. Along with snakebite aftershave. Now I better stop or I’ll be divorced lol

Welcome aboard! Tons of great advice above in this thread, so I won’t add to the confusion.

Enjoy your shaves!!

Top Bottom