What's new

New Shavemac

That is an absolutely great looking and very functional brush, enjoy it for many years.

Doug
Just noticed you live in Tucson. I went to U of A and then stuck around another few years after graduation. Really enjoyed the city and the camping/backpackin. Especially the summers when school was out and the town emptied out. Mt Lemon was especially nice, back then.

Yes it is the CC regular bowl with the rolled edge, works even better than the ceramic one and is my most used bowl. The Jade is definitely my brush with the strongest backbone and scrub but no scritch at all.
I just used my Simpsons Classic 2 for the first time since I got the Shavemac.

Though I’ve been wet shaving forever, I’m fairly new to the nuances. “Scritch” is a new one for me and that shave with the Simpson was a good point for comparison.

Classic 2 has scritch. Shavemac is much smoother. Totally different feels.

I just used my Simpsons Classic 2 for the first time since I got the Shavemac.

Though I’ve been wet shaving forever, I’m fairly new to the nuances. “Scritch” is a new one for me and that shave with the Simpson was a good point for comparison.

Classic 2 has scritch. Shavemac is much smoother. Totally different feels.
One of the definitions of scritch vs. scrub that I found here and that is really apt goes:

Scritch = poking of single bristles to the point of being unpleasant
Scrub = the whole surface of the brush is massaging your face

That being said some scritch per say isn’t bad. @Owen Bawn suggested the Simpsons Eagle G3 Pure to me and it is a great brush just not for every day.

7CE7AA27-8596-42AF-8496-F66AF32BAB36.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One of the definitions of scritch vs. scrub that I found here and that is really apt goes:

That being said some scritch per say isn’t bad. @Owen Bawn suggested the Simpsons Eagle G3 Pure to me and it is a great brush just not for every day.

View attachment 1440026

To me, there is good scritch and bad scritch.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1440026
Hmmm…

So if there’s a certain background very slight “roughness” on the Simpson (which actually feels good) (am I an unknowing masochist?)…is that “scritch”?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
To me, good scritch isn't bothersome enough to keep me from using the brush + in my experience with it it eventually turns into scrub.

Bad scritch is the opposite in both regards.

I suppose much is dependent upon individual sensitivities, tolerances, and impressions. Rudy Vey and others admit, and I agree with 'em, the Shavemac DO1 two band is an acquired taste.

They also sometimes refer to it as soft. In my experience with my only DO1 knot it's not been what I'd call soft and it's had a good bit of scritch. I've used the brush a good bit and always liked it in spite of its scritch. (I'm a huge fan of scrub which it has in spades.) The last couple of times I used the DO1 I got the impression the knot might be breaking in and might be moving in the direction of soft. Good scritch.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom