What's new

New Shavemac

My first post here, on 2/27/22, requested recommendations for a second quality brush. There were some great suggestions and I ended up deciding to go with a Shavemac.

I sent them an email; detailing what brushes I already have, what I like from a brush, my shaving styles (I like both face and bowl lathering), and facial hair type. Mentioned that I'm looking for something a little different from what I already have.

Bernt got back to me right away with a suggestion. I went on the site's Shave Brush Configurator, and set it up to his specs. Chose a handle that I thought would look nice with it and looked well balanced. Requested a tortoiseshell ring in the added instructions:

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 4.50.38 PM.png

I've had it for about 2 weeks now and have to say that I'm blown away. It's perfect and, if perfection is capable of it; it just keeps getting better. Just the right amount of backbone, scritch, and softness. Quickly produces unbelievably rich lathers both with face and bowl lathering. Feels so natural to use.

I could not possibly be happier!

IMG_0179.jpg

Many thanks to those who chimed in on that first post.

Silvertip D01 is on deck to be my next Shavemac. I am thinking about going with a fan shape this time, but if I was doing bulb I would have selected the -4 that you did. Really nice that he is willing to do the tortoise ring, those are on some of the ready to ship brushes in his store.

Very nice brush! Did you perchance discuss D01-2Band vs. D01-Silvertip with Bernd?
I thought about it, after reading so many posts about that being one of Shavemac's strong points...but decided to just go with what he recommended.

Besides: now I have another brush to get, down the road. Got some specs for a 2Band that you like, in particular?

:)

I thought about it, after reading so many posts about that being one of Shavemac's strong points...but decided to just go with what he recommended.

Besides: now I have another brush to get, down the road. Got some specs for a 2Band that you like, in particular?

:)
I started from the other side and already have my 24mm D01-2Band Bulb so the question is what do I miss out on the other grade…

AA520D1F-D953-460B-97B0-2A024B4A6123.jpeg

I started from the other side and already have my 24mm D01-2Band Bulb so the question is what do I miss out on the other grade…

View attachment 1437123
Beautiful brush.

I don't have any practical experience, but according to what I've read, the 2 band is coarser with more backbone. Three band is softer. Other factors as well that I'm sure others could point out.

I can say that this Shavemac is softer than my Simpsons Classic 2...but that's not a bad thing. At all. It's actually a nice change of pace and I'd bet Bernd took that into consideration when I told him what I already had and that I was looking for something different but not too floppy.

He definitely nailed it in my shaving world. No doubt.

Is that a Captains Choice copper bowl? They seem to get a lotta love.

Beautiful brush.

I don't have any practical experience, but according to what I've read, the 2 band is coarser with more backbone. Three band is softer. Other factors as well that I'm sure others could point out.

I can say that this Shavemac is softer than my Simpsons Classic 2...but that's not a bad thing. At all. It's actually a nice change of pace and I'd bet Bernd took that into consideration when I told him what I already had and that I was looking for something different but not too floppy.

He definitely nailed it in my shaving world. No doubt.

Is that a Captains Choice copper bowl? They seem to get a lotta love.
Yes it is the CC regular bowl with the rolled edge, works even better than the ceramic one and is my most used bowl. The Jade is definitely my brush with the strongest backbone and scrub but no scritch at all.

Hmmm...I was just now comparing it, dry, to the Classic 2 and maybe I shouldn't be talking about scritch with the Shavemac. It's smoother.
Too bad I can't edit that original post.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My first post here, on 2/27/22, requested recommendations for a second quality brush. There were some great suggestions and I ended up deciding to go with a Shavemac.

I sent them an email; detailing what brushes I already have, what I like from a brush, my shaving styles (I like both face and bowl lathering), and facial hair type. Mentioned that I'm looking for something a little different from what I already have.

Bernt got back to me right away with a suggestion. I went on the site's Shave Brush Configurator, and set it up to his specs. Chose a handle that I thought would look nice with it and looked well balanced. Requested a tortoiseshell ring in the added instructions:

View attachment 1437097

I've had it for about 2 weeks now and have to say that I'm blown away. It's perfect and, if perfection is capable of it; it just keeps getting better. Just the right amount of backbone, scritch, and softness. Quickly produces unbelievably rich lathers both with face and bowl lathering. Feels so natural to use.

I could not possibly be happier!

View attachment 1437098

Many thanks to those who chimed in on that first post.

Lovely brush!

Plus I learned something which may be important to me down the road...

I don't like the look of the brush in the configurator, but I love the look of the brush next to your birch handled razor. The tortoise band makes a big difference, a decided improvement, in the handle's appearance. However, the main thing for me is how much better the knot looks having broken in a bit and bloomed. Very nice indeed.

Congratulations on a great looking brush.

Also, thanks for illustrating how much better the final product looks.

7-6-21.Pearl.Flixi.Shavemac.Vitos.640.JPG
4-22-21.RudyVey.Eagle.Shavemac.2band.new.640.JPG
8-11-20.RV.D01.Beehive.BrandNew.FOCS.Vitos.640.JPG

Although I have a few Shavemac knots (and one Shavemac brush, the blue handled beauty above), I do not have the DO1 silvertip three band. Occasionally I consider acquiring one.

In my photos, the Eagle and the Beehive are brand new and have not bloomed at all (never exposed to water when these photos were taken).

My only Shavemac bulb is in Pure. I picked the bulb for the brush because of Rudy Vey's advice, and I believe his advice was correct.​
11-21-21.Denali.SS-NIL.RudyVey.ShavemacPure.640.JPG

Your new brush is lovely. Even better, it meets your needs and you enjoy it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Lovely brush!

I don't like the look of the brush in the configurator but I love the look of the brush next to your birch handled razor. The tortoise band makes a big difference, a decided improvement, in the handle's appearance. However, the main thing for me is how much better the knot looks having broken in a bit and bloomed. Very nice indeed.

Congratulations.

Although I have a few Shavemac knots (and one Shavemac brush, the blue handled beauty above), I do not have the DO1 silvertip three band. Occasionally I consider acquiring one.

My only Shavemac bulb is in Pure. I picked the bulb for the brush because of Rudy Vey's advice, and I believe his advice was correct.​
View attachment 1437427

Generally I tend to prefer fans. Not that I don't have enough bulbs.

Happy shaves,

Jim
My Shavemac Pure has an uniform color yours looks like a very nice 2Band.

8325C209-1AD2-4049-93E8-390B5FED9B22.jpeg

Lovely brush!

Plus I learned something which may be important to me down the road...

I don't like the look of the brush in the configurator, but I love the look of the brush next to your birch handled razor. The tortoise band makes a big difference, a decided improvement, in the handle's appearance. However, the main thing for me is how much better the knot looks having broken in a bit and bloomed. Very nice indeed.

Congratulations on a great looking brush.

Also, thanks for illustrating how much better the final product looks.

In my photos, the Eagle and the Beehive are brand new and have not bloomed at all (never exposed to water when these photos were taken).

View attachment 1437427

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yes; the Brush Configurator leaves something to be desired, aesthetically. But it's very helpful in terms of handle shape/size and how it relates to the height and width of the lofts. Basic geometry of the brush. Gave me an accurate representation of how it would feel in my hand. Spot on, in that respect.

The tortoiseshell ring makes a big difference to me, too. I saw examples of it against the ivory on the Shop/Shaving Brushes/Classics page and knew I wanted that as part of the look.

I love everything about that Rocca. Got one with the black handle, too. They both look great with the brush but the birchbark is sweet. Feels awesome, too. Wonderful razor.

Those are some beautiful brushes as is Multum's blue one. Artful photography, as well. Love the ladybug. Nice touch.

Here's an action shot of my shave this morning. I'm going to post more on the shave of the day thread. Outstanding!

IMG_0246.jpeg

Thanks, Jim. Have a good one.

Bob

Top Bottom