What's new

New Semogue SOC, thoughts?

I guess I really wasn't very specific, eh?
:lol1:
LOL! Got a Simpson Commodore X2 in Best Badger, currently my everyday face latherer with the Martin De Candre Fougère and a Merkur Progress Long Handle 510. A little slice of Heaven to begin my day! It could be worse! 😊

I gave mine a 48 hour soak in the fridge and that didn't seem to do more any more than test lather followed by letting it dry for 48 hours, and repeating. After I did about 10 of those I boxed mine up with a plan to BST it at a later date since it was still very stiff and not doing the job. The towel-rubbing hasn't done anything for me either, I have another boar that just wont soften up and I'm too embarrassed to report the time spent trying to break that one in.

Then one day while breaking another boar(!) I pulled out the SOC to give it another go and it felt way different. With less than an inch of Proraso Green cream, and about a minute of hand-lathering, my hand didn't have enough room for all the dense slippery lather that it made. No hogging of lather, no drama, no nothing. Just a big soft lather machine. It's unreal how much lather this brush makes with very minimal product, once broken in at least.

I'm with he general consensus of the forum: Just use it and let it dry between uses. If it's not comfortable on the face, hand-lather it until it is (or bowl-lather and face paint with it). Otherwise, just use it, it will get there!
Understood!

I'm reading ways to break it in faster, like leaving it in in water in the fridge for a couple days then rubbing it out on a towel.
Cleaning it with shampo and conditioner.
I suppose I'll hand lather with a good puc soap, I have 2 steel bowls with pucs of TOBS sandalwood and Dr. Harris Arlington that have been sitting for a couple months since I started using the MDC Fougère I picked up. Man, that MDC makes a fantastic lather, blows the others away IMHO. Anyway, I'll break one in that way and see how it goes unless anyone thinks that's a big mistake.
What does everyone think?
Thoughts?
Just alternate days when using them. That way one is always drying and the hair tip's will split. It takes about 30 days of usage to break in a. Semogue Boar Brush. Don't use conditioner.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Nice Pic! I have a collection of about 20 old Gillette safety razors. Looks like a Super Speed. I have 4 with that handle and another 4 with the smoother handle and another with the black plastic. 3 Adjustable Slims and 2 Fat boys. One of the Fatboys is my birth year and quarter of production. I have a few straight razors also but haven't learned the technique yet. Luv my Gillettes but been using my Merkur long handle Progress 510 for the last 6 months. Haven't even tried the Future I have in the box. Have the short Progress also and a 40 series none adjustable. 4 Merkurs in all. Love the weight.
Thinking about selling most of the Gillettes to let others enjoy.
That Flare Tip is my 1965 birth year razor. I also have a 1965 Slim Adjustable. My favorite is my 1955 A-4 Red Tip. I shimmed it and it alway's gives a smooth comfortable shave.

Clayton
proxy.php

Just alternate days when using them. That way one is always drying and the hair tip's will split. It takes about 30 days of usage to break in a. Semogue Boar Brush. Don't use conditioner.

Clayton

Got it. Now I'm thinking of leaving it in an open window in the sun.

That Flare Tip is my 1965 birth year razor. I also have a 1965 Slim Adjustable. My favorite is my 1955 A-4 Red Tip. I shimmed it and it alway's gives a smooth comfortable shave.

Clayton
proxy.php

Sweet!
I have a Fatboy D4,(1958,4th quarter), my birth year and quarter! Also have around 15 Gillettes, 4 Merkurs and a few straight razors. Don't use most of the Gillettes and was thinking about selling some so they find good homes. My other Fatboy is a E4 (1959, 4th quarter )
My Slims are M2, J4 and H1. The 9 other none adjustable SS, etc.

Id say its a good deal. Just be forewarned that Semogue SOCs can be lather hogs, especially the boars. Back when I had mine, I used to have to load it with soap like I hated the soap, otherwise it would suck the lather up into the knot.

I'm reading the SOC has "Premium" boar hair, is that from neck, belly, arse? Is boar hair graded like badger hair?

I just read another post by Leon from Vintage Scent that explains the grades. Although it doesn’t say which area of the boar the hairs areharvested from.

Ok, what's Special Grade Boar?
I've read the SOC has has the "Best" boar hair available. I've read the SOC has "Premium" boar hair on Amazon. And I saw on a chart posted here it's "Special".
????????
Anyone?

Ok, what's Special Grade Boar?
I've read the SOC has has the "Best" boar hair available. I've read the SOC has "Premium" boar hair on Amazon. And I saw on a chart posted here it's "Special".
????????
Anyone?
It is explained in a very confusing way.

First, Semogue grades the bristles, other makers generally don't or don't publish it.

What is being graded is basically the feeling of softness, or lack of scritch, after break-in. I believe I have this right:

Extra < Best < Super < Premium < Special

Special is used only in the SOC and limited editions. It is supposed to feel "luxurious."

Note that Extra is not necessarily a "bad" grade. It is useful for face lathering where you want a scrubby feel.

It is explained in a very confusing way.

First, Semogue grades the bristles, other makers generally don't or don't publish it.

What is being graded is basically the feeling of softness, or lack of scritch, after break-in. I believe I have this right:

Extra < Best < Super < Premium < Special

Special is used only in the SOC and limited editions. It is supposed to feel "luxurious."

Note that Extra is not necessarily a "bad" grade. It is useful for face lathering where you want a scrubby feel.
Thankyou!

Top Bottom