What's new

New Semogue SOC, thoughts?

My friend had two Semogue SOCs in his closet that he never used. Looks like one Cherrywood and the other is lighter, (Ash?). Anyway, said I could have them both for $30. I told him yes but didn't have the cash so I'm stopping by tomorrow. I've not tried a boar brush yet.
Do you think it's a good deal?
Thoughts?
Thanks.

That is an excellent deal.

They have a big bloom after a good many uses. Many love it. If you don't, you can rein it in with an o ring or two.

Mine broke in in about 8 uses without any kind of break-in shortcut.

Gets soft fairly quickly, and gradually keeps getting softer with each use.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

All Semogue brushes break in nicely, word to the wise tho, use some sort of wood wax as a protectant. I used renesance wax on my SOC cherry handle to help prevent water damage from use.

Sure but any friend of mine would have handed them to me and I would have caught up later with him with the bux.

+1. Actually, if I had two of the same brush sitting in my closet not being used, I would have just given one of them to any friend who showed an interest...free of charge.

All Semogue brushes break in nicely, word to the wise tho, use some sort of wood wax as a protectant. I used renesance wax on my SOC cherry handle to help prevent water damage from use.
I'll do that. I suppose even pledge would help a bit before I can get some good wax.

The SOC is a very nice brush and that sounds like a good deal. Just be aware it will 'bloom' into a larger size. If you face lather, it may be too big and rather soft. Something like a Semogue 610 or 620 would be a good face lathering brush. A Semogue 1250 or 1800 is versatile enough to do both face and bowl lathering. Note that a new 1250 is less than $15.

'Bloomed' SOC and a 620 still being broken-in:

soc3.jpg

Last edited:
If you asked this a month ago, I would’ve told you to walk away.

Behold, the SOC Boar requires a good deal of break-in time during which it’s overall stiffness and crappy lather making skills will leave you scratching your head wondering why anyone aside from loving the aesthetic of beautiful handles and full golden manes would spend their time and money on such a brush.

Then the knot relaxes, the tips split, and it starts to gush lather in no time while being wonderfully soft, softer than any badger, that I’ve ever tried at least.

Be patient, just don’t expect to enjoy shaving with it for the first month.

My friend had two Semogue SOCs in his closet that he never used. Looks like one Cherrywood and the other is lighter, (Ash?). Anyway, said I could have them both for $30. I told him yes but didn't have the cash so I'm stopping by tomorrow. I've not tried a boar brush yet.
Do you think it's a good deal?
Thoughts?
Thanks.
$30 for 2 SOC Boar Brushes is a great deal. My Cherrywood SOC is my favorite boar brush. It bowl, and facelathers very well.

Clayton
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

If you asked this a month ago, I would’ve told you to walk away.

Behold, the SOC Boar requires a good deal of break-in time during which it’s overall stiffness and crappy lather making skills will leave you scratching your head wondering why anyone aside from loving the aesthetic of beautiful handles and full golden manes would spend their time and money on such a brush.

Then the knot relaxes, the tips split, and it starts to gush lather in no time while being wonderfully soft, softer than any badger, that I’ve ever tried at least.

Be patient, just don’t expect to enjoy shaving with it for the first month.
I'm reading ways to break it in faster, like leaving it in in water in the fridge for a couple days then rubbing it out on a towel.
Cleaning it with shampo and conditioner.
I suppose I'll hand lather with a good puc soap, I have 2 steel bowls with pucs of TOBS sandalwood and Dr. Harris Arlington that have been sitting for a couple months since I started using the MDC Fougère I picked up. Man, that MDC makes a fantastic lather, blows the others away IMHO. Anyway, I'll break one in that way and see how it goes unless anyone thinks that's a big mistake.
What does everyone think?
Thoughts?

I'm reading ways to break it in faster, like leaving it in in water in the fridge for a couple days then rubbing it out on a towel.
Cleaning it with shampo and conditioner.
I suppose I'll hand lather with a good puc soap, I have 2 steel bowls with pucs of TOBS sandalwood and Dr. Harris Arlington that have been sitting for a couple months since I started using the MDC Fougère I picked up. Man, that MDC makes a fantastic lather, blows the others away IMHO. Anyway, I'll break one in that way and see how it goes unless anyone thinks that's a big mistake.
What does everyone think?
Thoughts?
I would just let it break in through regular use. It should be well broken in after 15 or so uses. Part of the fun with a new boar brush is seeing how the brush breaks in.

Top Bottom