What's new

New Scents.

A thread about Stone Cottage Shaving, Shaving Cream on the Shaving Cream board included a post by a gentleman whose name I think was in _shaving mentioned the scents offered by us. Interestingly enough I had downloaded a "man's scent category" file from one of my scent sites recently think ing I might wish to offer a new scent or two. Both "Citrus" and "Fresh" are great suggestions! In making soap I found that "Citrus" Scents do not hold so I don't offer anything in "Citrus" for that reason. That shouldn't apply in shaving creams so I can offer those in "Citrus". I would have to see about the shaving soap. Scent is very important to me and I have this hobby of writing scent formulas! I have a file with 6600+ formulas! So, I have a great deal of experience working with and creating scents! I'll see what additional scents I can come up with!

David, have you considered a balsam scent? Valobra offers a bath soap in that scent, and it's pretty darned good.

I live in Australia and we have 6 months of hot, brutal and humid weather. I have been using Hespéride for a few weeks now as our summer beings and I find it to be an ideal scent for warm weather, it performs fantastically as a cream and the scent is just perfect.

I live in Australia and we have 6 months of hot, brutal and humid weather. I have been using Hespéride for a few weeks now as our summer beings and I find it to be an ideal scent for warm weather, it performs fantastically as a cream and the scent is just perfect.

That's good to hear! I am actually using the Hespéride Shaving Soap and am thoroughly enjoying it myself! I've been using it for over a month now and have barely had the level of the soap go down at all! Anyway, if you or anyone else has any suggestions, I would be happy to hear them and discuss... Thanks, todas!

That's good to hear! I am actually using the Hespéride Shaving Soap and am thoroughly enjoying it myself! I've been using it for over a month now and have barely had the level of the soap go down at all! Anyway, if you or anyone else has any suggestions, I would be happy to hear them and discuss... Thanks, todas!

Strop Shoppe carried a scent called Russian Tea. I don't recall but exactly it is in but it smells divine and would love to see someone bring the scent back. More than happy to send you a sample to see if it is something you would be interested in.

Strop Shoppe carried a scent called Russian Tea. I don't recall but exactly it is in but it smells divine and would love to see someone bring the scent back. More than happy to send you a sample to see if it is something you would be interested in.

Tom,

I did some quick research and it seems that company who produced that product is "out of business". I also looked through my sources for manufactured fragrance oils and find nothing under the name "Russian Tea". It is possible to have a sample of something analyzed but it is also expensive to do so. I certainly could attempt to come up with a version of it but it would be a version of it not the exact scent and my experience here with customers has shown me that customers want the exact same scent as something that they like. Also, frankly I prefer to come up with my own scents and not try to copy what someone else is offering. As an example, I saw a post about "Coconut Sandalwood" and decided to come up with a version of it myself never having tried another version of it. I am pleased with the results and it does fit a "Tropical Scent Category" which was my goal which brings me to the point of this thread and that is to find out what scent categories need to be included in my offerings. My background is that of a soapmaker before I started working in the cosmetic chemistry area. As a soapmaker I have worked with numerous fragrances and essential oils in creating scents for my products. I also have a hobby of writing fragrance formulas and currently have a library of 6,647 fragrances I have created.

So what I am seeking in this post is input for what fragrance categories you would like to see in my offerings. "Citrus" and "Fresh" were suggested and Bod mentioned "Balsamic" which is also an option for some of my products. Here is a link to describe some of the fragrance categories that are available and I am interested in hearing what might be attractive to you here!

http://theperfumedcourt.com/fragrance_families.aspx Check it out and if you are interested in any of these categories being represented in my line then post your suggestions! Thanks you to and everyone else for their suggestions!

Ahhh very interesting stuff. 6647 fragrances is a lot. Kudos to your diligence for that. :)

Do you have anything that is oud based? I know me and a few folks are fans.

I haven't been trying to seek out a specific scent in my hunt for a good soap even though I don't have a specific type of scent I don't care for a soap that is too citrus smelling. I had a bay rum that I thought smelled like orange peelings(like the smell of oranges just not in a soap) just a little too much citrus smell. I really like the fern scent of Saponficio Varesino Felce Aromatica but didn't care for the MdC Fougere as much so I like the outdoor type scents.

This got me thinking of a scent I would like to see in a shave soap and it comes from when I was a kid, or even growing up helping my brother-in-law, on the farm and that is fresh cut alfalfa. I even like the smell of fresh cut grass especially if it rains afterwards. Not sure how others would prefer a scent like this.

Other scents I like are from the colognes and aftershaves I used 30 years ago which were English Leather, Old Spice and Aqua Velva to name a few.

So, I guess the scent categories for me would be outdoor fresh scents and/or vintage cologne scents.

Ahhh very interesting stuff. 6647 fragrances is a lot. Kudos to your diligence for that. :)

Do you have anything that is oud based? I know me and a few folks are fans.

I have done a little research on "oud" but haven't had the time with the Christmas holidays coming and working seven days a week in my store. I like the sound of something "mystical" so I would consider doing an oud! Thanks!

I haven't been trying to seek out a specific scent in my hunt for a good soap even though I don't have a specific type of scent I don't care for a soap that is too citrus smelling. I had a bay rum that I thought smelled like orange peelings(like the smell of oranges just not in a soap) just a little too much citrus smell. I really like the fern scent of Saponficio Varesino Felce Aromatica but didn't care for the MdC Fougere as much so I like the outdoor type scents.

This got me thinking of a scent I would like to see in a shave soap and it comes from when I was a kid, or even growing up helping my brother-in-law, on the farm and that is fresh cut alfalfa. I even like the smell of fresh cut grass especially if it rains afterwards. Not sure how others would prefer a scent like this.

Other scents I like are from the colognes and aftershaves I used 30 years ago which were English Leather, Old Spice and Aqua Velva to name a few.

So, I guess the scent categories for me would be outdoor fresh scents and/or vintage cologne scents.

Sorry the the slow response but with Christmastime in my retail store and online orders I've been busy 7 days a week! This is the second mention of and "outdoor fresh scent" and that would be another scent I will be looking into to add to all products and I already have a couple of idea on that project! I think I have "Old Spice" covered with "Spiced Bay" and I do have a fougere which has gotten a great response and it was modeled after "English Fern" from Penhaligon's so it has an older and more original scent approach rather than the modern fougeres. I am curious about the scent of Aqua Velva as I don't remember even smelling that although I was certainly around the the late 50's and the 60's! The "green grass" also gives me an idea which I will have to check out. Unfortunately the "green grass" fragrance source has "dryed up" and that product will require more research!

Thanks again for your input and I look forward to hearing more if you have an idea you would like to share!

Don't know if it will work, but my better colognes are incense based. Armani, Series 3 for example. Don't have a clue what to blend it with to smooth out the incense, perhaps sandalwood or Cedar?
Mikey

a green tea or earl grey version would be great , I still have some razorock sensitive green tea and love the scent.

Top Bottom