What's new

New scale idea

I have been doing some experimentation with this "fractal burning" technique lately. It occurred to me that it would look pretty neat on a set of straight razor or knife scales. This sample piece is walnut, and I've also figured out how to get it to work on G10. I'll post another pic once I get a set made up.

20200731_154352.jpg

It looks like the process leaves "channels" that are fairly deep in addition to the dendritic burns. If you sand those down flat do you lose the dendrites or are you planning on filling the channels to get a flat blank?

Very cool look though if you can preserve the pattern

Yeah it burns out a path as the current finds a way to the other side. Very high voltage, not for the careless. After finishing the pattern I will just varnish, CA or epoxy over the entire surface and either leave it textured or fill with clear. This is only a rough test part, the actual finished pieces will need to be sanded much finer before the pattern is added... Too much sanding afterward will remove the fine details from the pattern.

Yep, like most anything it can be dangerous if not implemented carefully and with some knowledge on the subject. I set mine up in such a way that I don't need to touch the electrical leads at all when they're powered. Many of those stories in the news are about fellows who tried to hold the leads in their hands while burning. Bad news to give current a path up one arm, through one's trunk (heart) and down the other arm.

Yep, like most anything it can be dangerous if not implemented carefully and with some knowledge on the subject. I set mine up in such a way that I don't need to touch the electrical leads at all when they're powered. Many of those stories in the news are about fellows who tried to hold the leads in their hands while burning. Bad news to give current a path up one arm, through one's trunk (heart) and down the other arm.
Agree. I have a healthy respect for high voltage. I work in a Power Station and routinely carry out switching operations on voltages up to 275kv. I know enough to understand you don't have to actually touch it to get zapped, just be near enough and grounded. As long as you understand the principles and be mindful of what you are doing at all times, you can be safe.

Definitely not for the "Let's have a go at it" way of thinking.

Top Bottom