What's new

New safety razors to fully utilize Derby and other less sharp blades?

Hey gang! I am a new wet shaver and have had the Merkur 23c long handle for a few months. I am interested in experimenting with less sharp blades to see what quality shave I can get. It's come to my attention that blades like the Derby need to be paired with the right razor (typically a somewhat aggressive one) to make them sing. What razors would you recommend for such a task? I have been looking at Phoenix razors, such as The Symmetry and the Sidewinder, both are supposed to be at least moderately aggressive.

You could purchase a Merkur Progress adjustable and use it on a higher setting. That's what I do with my milder blades..... or invest in a vintage Gillette adjustable......

Less sharp blades like the Treets and Rapiras have worked quite well for me in those razors.

YMMV

Pairing razor-blade is one of the most interesting tasks within this little tidy world:laugh:... and sometimes it's never ending!

Try different possibilities until you find "your" combo/s. Then, start again... Good luck!

I've been happy with the sharpness of Personnas, but sometimes I wish they were a little smoother on my skin. That's why I've been wondering if a Derby blade might work better for me. I also realize my technique could factor into the equation, but I feel like either way, there's no harm in me trying different blades and seeing what works for me.

IME this depends on your whiskers. If you have tough wiry whiskers, using a less sharp blade at a steep angle will give you tugging and probably some irritation. By all means try it but with blades that aren't real sharp, I have to use a shallow angle and if that's the case, a mild razor works just fine.

IMHO, smoothness is more important, and I prefer blades like the Polsilver SI, Gillette Platinum, SuperMax Super Platinum, etc ... IME, these are smooth enough to use in aggressive razors like the R41, and sharp enough to pair with Techs. The perfect combination of sharp and smooth, on my face at least.

YMMV on the blades.

For me, the Derby blades are "less sharp". They provide many days of great shaves in all my razors (vintage and modern).

My "less sharp" or "poorer shave" blades have been Shark and Astra (green) blades.

YMMV

Pairing razor-blade is one of the most interesting tasks within this little tidy world:laugh:... and sometimes it's never ending!

Try different possibilities until you find "your" combo/s. Then, start again... Good luck!

SWMBO asked me why I had so many different brands of blades and I told her that different razors worked better with different blades. I expected skepticism, but she grasped the point immediately.

I've been happy with the sharpness of Personnas, but sometimes I wish they were a little smoother on my skin. That's why I've been wondering if a Derby blade might work better for me. I also realize my technique could factor into the equation, but I feel like either way, there's no harm in me trying different blades and seeing what works for me.

Before you get a new razor, I suggest playing around with a few different blades in your current razor. Go to tryablade.com and you can pick out single blades of as many different brands as you would like.

If you like the Personna, I really recommend you give Voskhod blades a try. They are sharp enough to give you a really close shave, but they have to be the smoothest blades on the market (for many people). If you like the Personna but want something smoother, Voskhod is right up your alley and should pair nicely with your Merkur head. Right now they are cheap on eBay as well, about $11 for a 100 pack.

If Derbys don't work for you now in your Merkur they probably will not be a whole lot better in something more aggressive either. That is one of those blades that just don't work well for me no matter what razor I use.

Good suggestions. I'm a little surprised that I actually got one response telling me not to go out and get a razor, lol. Never would have expected that on B&B. I completely understand where you're coming from, though, molon_labe. I must say I'm interested in the Derby blades, and what makes me very curious is that some DE shavers think the blades perform better/worse depending on the razor while others think the razor makes little to no difference. I know I probably shouldn't, but when you have that itch, sometimes you just need to scratch it. :001_smile

Either way, I would probably have ended up getting a more aggressive razor anyway. Just to try one for myself to see if it agrees with my skin and hair. This is just a good excuse for me to go out and get one.

Last edited:
My experience is that the "less sharp" blades work best in razors that promote more blade curvature, such as my Merkur 45 and RazorRock Baby Smooth. Astras and Derbys work well in the 45 and RRBS but I don't find them to be as smooth or comfortable in my other razors. I'm curious if anyone else has any observations related to blade sharpness and curvature...

Could be more curvature gives you a shallower blade angle which cuts better. You may get the same result with less curvature and holding the handle farther from your face.

Merkur Futur + Derby is a combination that i would not expected to love so much, but i do.

I like Voskhod in mine. But, as the saying goes: different strokes for different folks. But it's not one of the sharpest blades either, it is smooth, though.

I am one who happens to like and get good shaves with a Derby. What the heck...someone has to buy them! :001_smile

Top Bottom