What's new

New rules for US airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called "security theatre." Measures like the above won't do a damned thing to make plans more secure, but it just may make a few people feel more comfortable.

If you want real security measures, do what the Israelis do.

-Z
Exactly like taking your shoes off in the airport security checkpoints... like anyone can hide enough explosives or weapons there to cause mass casualties! I can imagine they could do a good job at blowing off their foot. What a waste of time!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's called "security theatre." Measures like the above won't do a damned thing to make plans more secure, but it just may make a few people feel more comfortable.

If you want real security measures, do what the Israelis do.

-Z
I said on that fateful day that we needed to do the Israeli thing about airline security. Instead we did what DC always does in times of uncertainty: overreact and overreach. But to be fair, the over reach (one werd or two?) has been an ongoing one since that day, and both parties are guilty.

END OF OLD MAN RANT. sorry everyone. feel free to report it or Mods delete. Just made me sad to see my mother in law be basically treated like a suspect and my father in law nearly fall over taking off tennis shoes with Velcro.

But I FELT so MUCH safer!

I wish rail travel was easier.

In Europe it often is, with frequent, fast and comfortable trains running from city centre to city centre.

If the population justifies it and the rail infrastructure is in place (and maintained), the train is often faster* than the plane.

In February 2020, I got caught out in Seattle, when flights were cancelled left right and centre because airlines were incapable to deal with the snow.

At least the twice daily trains to Vancouver B.C. were running, albeit late and slow. Looking at the speed on that train trip, my grandparents, born towards the end of the 19th century, were used to higher speeds.

B.

* considering the time from the departure city centre to the airport, processing time at the airport, flight time and time from the airport to the destination city centre.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In Europe it often is, with frequent, fast and comfortable trains running from city centre to city centre.

If the population justifies it and the rail infrastructure is in place (and maintained), the train is often faster* than the plane.

In February 2020, I got caught out in Seattle, when flights were cancelled left right and centre because airlines were incapable to deal with the snow.

At least the twice daily trains to Vancouver B.C. were running, albeit late and slow. Looking at the speed on that train trip, my grandparents, born towards the end of the 19th century, were used to higher speeds.

B.

* considering the time from the departure city centre to the airport, processing time at the airport, flight time and time from the airport to the destination city centre.
When I was working I traveled a LOT, internationally and domestic.
On domestic flights, if driving time was 10 hours or less, it made sense to drive rather than fly.
Counting time to get to the airport, check in, get through security, wait at the gate, the flight, picking up bags, getting to my destination from the airport and all, driving vs flying was a wash.
Unfortunately, we as humans have a habit of ceding authority to unqualified, untrained bureaucrats following senseless guidelines that don't do anything except inconvenience the innocent.
Can you imagine these folks running down a terrorist?
Yeah, me neither.

th-1379309242.jpg

Last edited:
On domestic flights, if driving time was 10 hours or less, it made sense to drive rather than fly.
Counting time to get to the airport, check in, get through security, wait at the gate, the flight, picking up bags, getting to my destination from the airport and all, driving vs flying was a wash.
Unfortunately, we as humans have a habit of ceding authority to unqualified, untrained bureaucrats following senseless guidelines that don't do anything except inconvenience the innocent.
Yeah, me neither.

View attachment 1569417

Our friends in the UK have a great sense of humour and have covered Airport Security on National TV:

Even better was a UK TV series called ‘Come Fly With Me’, where two well-known UK comedians covered various roles in a spoof airport documentary.

Here is one small tidbit about Border Control:

Here’s another one:

B.

Last edited:
Exactly like taking your shoes off in the airport security checkpoints... like anyone can hide enough explosives or weapons there to cause mass casualties! I can imagine they could do a good job at blowing off their foot. What a waste of time!

The FBI disagrees:

In my airline, Richard Reid’s attempt was actually discussed in great detail during our annual Safety and Emergency Procedures (SEP) training when I was still flying. 🧑‍✈️

B.

Yeah, me neither.

View attachment 1569417
So, when you take the written test for TSA is there someone who reads the question to you? Maybe reading comprehension isn't a requirement? Thank God they're not armed!

Perfect example. Oh, what I've sacrificed for theatre!

-Z

My cutoff was 6 hrs, but that's the general idea. Once, when I lived in Greenville, SC, my employer wanted to fly me to Asheville, NC- a 1:18 drive! Thanks, just rent me a car, and I'll drive. Another time, I went to Manhattan... from Philly... and they wanted to fly me and rent me a car! I told them, no, just get me on a train. And why rent me a car, when it'll just sit in a parking lot all week?

Of course, the company was based in McAllen, TX, so their assumption was that, if it was next door, I'd want to drive.

-Z

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The FBI disagrees:

In my airline, Richard Reid’s attempt was actually discussed in great detail during our annual Safety and Emergency Procedures (SEP) training when I was still flying. 🧑‍✈️

B.
Wasn't he headed to Detroit? Or was that the underwear bomber? Either way, in Detroit our terrorists are our pro ball teams.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok.
All of the posts about European infrastructure have been removed, so there's no reason to post a last word reply on the topic.

That's the thing about the US, though: it's so huge, and our high speed, or even middle speed, rail network is so inadequate, that flights are virtually the only way to travel between Points A + B in a reasonable time, given some conditions.

Those conditions are:
#2: Depending on cost considerations, flying could easily wind up being significantly more expensive than driving, especially if you're traveling with a family.​

Of course, depending on how far the drive would be, air travel may be the only reasonable option. For instance, my older daughter expressed unease with flying from Philly to Orlando for a trip to the House of Mouse. But, after hearing that the other options were a 20+ hour drive or an equally long train ride, she finally consented to the 2-1/2 hr. flight. Of course, she chose to sit next to her step mother, not her old Dad (rolleyes). And, if you're going from, say, New York City to Los Angeles, there your choice is between a about a 6-1/2 flight, 41 hr drive (assuming you're doing it straight though, w/o stopping to sleep, eat, or use the restroom), or a 61 hr (!) train ride w/a change of trains in Chicago. And the train costs ~$500 for a seat, or ~$2600 (!!) for a room on the train.

Compared to the options, given a country as bloody huge as the US, air travel is often the only practical option. Remember: the lower 48 states is comparable in size to Europe (8,080,464.3 sq km million sq km vs 10.2 million sq km), and the latter measure counts Russia west of the Ural Mountains. Besides explaining the appeal of air travel in the US compared to Europe, this also helps explain why so many Americans don't travel internationally: given the sheer size of the US, people wanting to travel can see a vast diversity of people and environments without needing a passport. Want to see the Arctic? Alaska. Subtropical? Florida. Desert? The southwest. Tropical islands? Florida Keys, US Virgin Islands, or Puerto Rico. And so forth. And, given the vast stretch of land, air travel becomes almost a necessity.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I agree with statements in here, that it is just better to just take the train. I support local infrastructure, and part of how you do that, is by putting money into it, and utilizing it. Trouble is, America doesn't really innovate and put money into rail. When you look at countries in Europe, as well as Japan, you can see how much money they have invested into rail. So much so, Japan for example has the most well known bullet trains. And Japan also has a brand new bullet train, that made the gunious book of records, for fasted bullet train in the world!

America has Amtrak, which is a terrible company, that provides terrible service. I have a family member who took a ride on Amtrak back in the 80's, and he said the power went out in the train cars, and you couldn't see a thing at night time. You want food? Sure, right, they arn't not going to feed you anything good, I can tell you that much. And have you looked up the history on how many train derailments have happened in the US over the past 30-years? Yeah, its not good.

So, while at the same time I do support local infrastructure, I also have to admit when America is doing things wrong. America invests in other forms of travel, that much is very clear. But, I would love it if America would put greater investment into rail. America could be every bit as good as Europe and Japan as far as advanced technology rail is concerned, just gotta invest in it is all. People talk about what America has done for Germany and Japan after WWII.

This is why other countries can't believe that America has fallen so badly in certain areas. Still, I freaking love America, why? Cause were free here. And when you see what is going on in other countries, being free, oh yes, that matters, it matters a heck of a lot. America still a great nation, but as it is with every great nation, there is still always areas to improve. But we can all do our part, when we work together.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Fellas, I think we've meandered far from "new TSA rules at the airport".
There have been several posts on travel infrastructure deleted already.
Nothing personal to anyone, but we're going to call it a day here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom