What's new

New rules for US airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of today, December 7th (Remember: ‘A date which will live in infamy.’) the TSA website states this:

1670431866586.png

However, the first note (red triangle with exclamation mark) is noteworthy, as it states that it is all up to the TSA officer. It obviously pays to check the TSA website before you fly in the US.

Having said that, for years I have taken a disassembled three-piece safety razor (without blade) in my carry-on bag and TSA officers never showed the least interest.

In Europe they seem to be a bit more relaxed about these things. In the UK they are even thinking about dropping the 100 ml / 3 fl.oz. rule.

B.

Last edited:
Here's a new rule, why not make life simpler, and stop taking flights. Problem solved!
Just to play devil's advocate.... It takes 50+ hours to drive from Maine to Washington. You've got to sleep, stretch, eat, etc... so it'll take you 4 days. How much would you spend in gas driving that far? How much on eating and motels? I hate to say it, but flying just makes sense for long distance.

The kick in the nuts is that the TSA doesn't have to be this way. For some it's a power trip, for others it's the easiest/laziest way. Many of these folks would never make it in the private sector where performance and customer satisfaction matters.

I've never flown and do not intend to. I'm quite happy in my little part of the world.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The only thing anyone needs to know is this ——-

“The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.”

Don’t bring anything you are not willing to part with. Period. Don’t bring anything that would upset you If the TSA agent decides it’s not going through. Because according to that statement, they have absolute authority to permit or deny literally anything on board. Anything!

I understand some folks are accustomed to luxury and want to bring their sweet precious razors and soaps and creams and yadda yadda yadda with them. But you are taking a risk that the TSA agent is in a good mood and will let you pass with them. If they wake up and decide “I’m gonna be A jerk today” they have every right to throw allllllll that stuff away and you can either accept that and proceed to your flight or leave the airport, take your stuff home, and miss your flight. Guarantee you 10000% they do not care either way.

If you are staying at a hotel call ahead and say “hey I’m staying there over these dates, here is my reservation. I’m going to mail a small package can you hold it until I arrive?”. Typically they have no problem with this. Mail your razors and shaving stuff ahead of time. Do the same if you are staying at a friends or family place or condo or whatever. 1000x better than taking the risk of loosing your gear and more likely than not it’s cheaper to mail your gear than to replace your gear.

Or better yet - simply take a week off. Don’t worry about SR shaving or DE shaving for a week, or however long your vacation is. I think we can all reason with ourselves that cartridge razors will not kill you if you have to use one for a few days. There are plenty of options and routes you can take if you are not OK with loosing your gear. When it comes to the TSA there is no winning. You comply or you loose. That’s it. So do yourself a favor and use a little logic and common sense when traveling.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
A friend of mine had his can of AXE body spray taken from him. Terrible stuff. I'm happy to say he no longer uses it and Clubman Whiskey Woods is his favorite now. I had a little something to do with that. :)

A friend of mine had his can of AXE body spray taken from him. Terrible stuff. I'm happy to say he no longer uses it and Clubman Whiskey Woods is his favorite now. I had a little something to do with that. :)
My son used AXE throughout his high school years. I’m not gonna fault a TSA agent for confiscating that - in my view it is a chemical warfare weapon!😂

Hold on. Do these TSA employees have visible ID and badges with their names on it?

This is effectively looting, if @StewB 's link above is still current which I assume still is.

Why don't you contact the airport TSA section and demand it back?

That is stolen, and should be either in a confiscated TSA property pool, or the person has it.

Fight back.
Good luck with that

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The only thing anyone needs to know is this ——-

“The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.”

Don’t bring anything you are not willing to part with. Period. Don’t bring anything that would upset you If the TSA agent decides it’s not going through. Because according to that statement, they have absolute authority to permit or deny literally anything on board. Anything!

I understand some folks are accustomed to luxury and want to bring their sweet precious razors and soaps and creams and yadda yadda yadda with them. But you are taking a risk that the TSA agent is in a good mood and will let you pass with them. If they wake up and decide “I’m gonna be A jerk today” they have every right to throw allllllll that stuff away and you can either accept that and proceed to your flight or leave the airport, take your stuff home, and miss your flight. Guarantee you 10000% they do not care either way.

If you are staying at a hotel call ahead and say “hey I’m staying there over these dates, here is my reservation. I’m going to mail a small package can you hold it until I arrive?”. Typically they have no problem with this. Mail your razors and shaving stuff ahead of time. Do the same if you are staying at a friends or family place or condo or whatever. 1000x better than taking the risk of loosing your gear and more likely than not it’s cheaper to mail your gear than to replace your gear.

Or better yet - simply take a week off. Don’t worry about SR shaving or DE shaving for a week, or however long your vacation is. I think we can all reason with ourselves that cartridge razors will not kill you if you have to use one for a few days. There are plenty of options and routes you can take if you are not OK with loosing your gear. When it comes to the TSA there is no winning. You comply or you loose. That’s it. So do yourself a favor and use a little logic and common sense when traveling.
1670442559705.gif

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I got uber-harassed on my last flight when they didn't like my belt, ran a wipe, and got a false positive - for what, they never said.

Patriotic - on your side - but didn't appreciate the jewel-jostling pat-down(s).

Carts may have to suffice, but you can always take a great soap and brush.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just to play devil's advocate.... It takes 50+ hours to drive from Maine to Washington. You've got to sleep, stretch, eat, etc... so it'll take you 4 days. How much would you spend in gas driving that far? How much on eating and motels? I hate to say it, but flying just makes sense for long distance.

The kick in the nuts is that the TSA doesn't have to be this way. For some it's a power trip, for others it's the easiest/laziest way. Many of these folks would never make it in the private sector where performance and customer satisfaction matters.

I've never flown and do not intend to. I'm quite happy in my little part of the world.
I wish rail travel was easier.

Yeah, I'm ALMOST done. We have a trip to the Grand Canyon planned for this coming May. Gonna fly in to Vegas and rent a car. But I'm retired now, so we are going to drive south in the winter, etc. If the car dies I'll buy one on the road. No shirt, no shoes, no problems!

Good luck finding a car on a dealer lot!

Glad I have a beard. I rarely check bags anymore, just take a quick carry on with me.
Next time I travel, I'll be flying with the family inside the USA. I'll be sure to read up on the rules and regulations before we go. Things change so rapidly nowadays it's hard to keep up.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good luck finding a car on a dealer lot!
I buy used from private owners. Or always HAVE. But now all bets are off. I might have to buy a car at one dealer and a 'chip' at another! Crazy times my friend!

Reactions: ctr
Had zero problems recently checking my DE kit and taking a cart+BIC Metal in my carry on as a just in case measure.
Heathrow had an issue with an item in my clear baggie; apparently they could not determine whether my hair texturizer (paste) was liquid or solid and then my A/S being in a clear but unlabeled container.

Nevertheless the containers being undersized at 50ml...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom