What's new

New rules for US airport security

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I really need a Trac II in my gear. The best of the carts.

The first and best. Those that complained about it clogging, were the one’s who attempted to rinse the blades between strokes, under a weak stream of running water.

A simple technique change by swishing the dual bladed cartridge in a sink of water or a rubber mug filled with water that sits in the sink under the faucet as I do; solves that issue with much aplomb. :)

If when the water in my rubber mug gets murky with soap and stubble? A quick blast of water from the faucet into the mug under it and the water stays fresh & clean.

And It’s still a nostalgic, vintage shave which I quite enjoy. :)

A simple technique change by swishing the dual bladed cartridge in a sink of water or a rubber mug filled with water that sits in the sink under the faucet as I do; solves that issue with much aplomb. :)
Snap! I used to employ an old mug with very hot water to rinse out my old BIC single edged disposables which I used for decades (damn but the white ones taught you angle and pressure) and then the Mach 3, which oddly gave them much better performance, and seemed to greatly increase cartridge life. I can't account for why, but the hot water mug treatment did improve the shave.

Even worked with the Mach 5, which I dallied with.

Strange.

OkieStubble

Snap! I used to employ an old mug with very hot water to rinse out my old BIC single edged disposables which I used for decades (damn but the white ones taught you angle and pressure) and then the Mach 3, which oddly gave them much better performance, and seemed to greatly increase cartridge life. I can't account for why, but the hot water mug treatment did improve the shave.

Even worked with the Mach 5, which I dallied with.

Strange.

When I’m traveling and shaving in a strange hotels bathroom sink; while I’m not a germaphobe, I don’t want to be swishing my blade in a strange sink, with unknown knowledge of, if it’s been cleaned properly and disinfected, or did the previous users before me, spit? Bled? Vomited? In that sink? It’s really an unknown.

So imo, universal safety precautions is the order of the day when shaving at a strange sink. My Marvy brand, large green rubber mug, is cheap, durable, and non breakable.

It sits in the bottom of that strange sink right under the faucets tap. Easily filled and re-filled when the water gets murky from swishing that razor in it, simply by turning on the spigot for 2 seconds.

It keeps my razor and face germ free from all the unknown microorganisms that are crawling around in our world these days. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I’m traveling and shaving in a strange hotels bathroom sink; while I’m not a germaphobe, I don’t want to be swishing my blade in a strange sink, with unknown knowledge of, if it’s been cleaned properly and disinfected, or did the previous users before me, spit? Bled? Vomited? In that sink? It’s really an unknown.

So imo, universal safety precautions is the order of the day when shaving at a strange sink. My Marvy brand, large green rubber mug, is cheap, durable, and non breakable.

It sits in the bottom of that strange sink right under the faucets tap. Easily filled and re-filled when the water gets murky from swishing that razor in it, simply by turning on the spigot for 2 seconds.

It keeps my razor and face germ free from all the unknown microorganisms that are crawling around in our world these days. :)
Good thinking my friend.

We are all pretty much immune from our own house's germs, but I have a hard time staying in a place away from home.

And let's not anybody mention bedbugs!

The stories I could tell you about inner city home nursing! I can't imagine California cities on the coast. At least in Michigan it freezes once in awhile.

OkieStubble

Just two.....BUT ! Don't forget those two blades are SPRING LOADED and pivot!

AND it has a LUBRICATING STRIP doggone!
I have a black rubber strip that is specifically made to hone cartridge razors. When I’m done shaving my two pass modified shave, I squeeze the left over lather from my synthetic brush, and place the lather in the rubber strip. Pushing the cartridge the opposite way of the blades edges on this lathered strip, cleans the blades and maybe doesn’t actually hone the edges of the blades, but it dot seem to straighten and keep the edges smoother, which increases the longevity of the cartridge and gives more shaves.

Then a spritz of isopropyl alcohol on the blades to disinfect and clean hard water deposits and soap that rinsing didn’t get. I’ll even use the wife’s hair dryer to blow dry the cartridge which helps keep the blades from oxidizing between shaves.

I don’t have it down to an exact science, but I get 18 shaves from each cartridge. I used to only get 8-10 shaves before doing this.

I don’t travel a whole lot, so 18 shaves could equal a year or more worth of shaves when traveling. :)

OkieStubble

Good thinking my friend.

We are all pretty much immune from our own house's germs, but I have a hard time staying in a place away from home.

And let's not anybody mention bedbugs!

The stories I could tell you about inner city home nursing! I can't imagine California cities on the coast. At least in Michigan it freezes once in awhile.

I just read your post and started scratching just thinking about it!

FarmerTan

I have a black rubber strip that is specifically made to hone cartridge razors. When I’m done shaving my two pass modified shave, I squeeze the left over lather from my synthetic brush, and place the lather in the rubber strip. Pushing the cartridge the opposite way of the blades edges on this lathered strip, cleans the blades and maybe doesn’t actually hone the edges of the blades, but it dot seem to straighten and keep the edges smoother, which increases the longevity of the cartridge and gives more shaves.

Then a spritz of isopropyl alcohol on the blades to disinfect and clean hard water deposits and soap that rinsing didn’t get. I’ll even use the wife’s hair dryer to blow dry the cartridge which helps keep the blades from oxidizing between shaves.

I don’t have it down to an exact science, but I get 18 shaves from each cartridge. I used to only get 8-10 shaves before doing this.

I don’t travel a whole lot, so 18 shaves could equal a year or more worth of shaves when traveling. :)
PLEASE tell me that your wife makes fun of this ritual, because I KNOW we married sisters and my wife would be ALL OVER my case if I did this! Shoot, you'd have paid money to be a fly on the wall the way she treated me tonight! I can't catch a break with that woman.

I told her my next wife is gonna be stoopid and she said, "she'd have to be!"

And I didn't know what to say!

FarmerTan

I just read your post and started scratching just thinking about it!
You've seen it too!

I once.....well I can't tell that story but it involved an enema and a bubble, and I'd do that a hundred times over before I saw another bedbug crawling up someone's neck, lol!

lasta

Blade Biter
You've seen it too!

I once.....well I can't tell that story but it involved an enema and a bubble, and I'd do that a hundred times over before I saw another bedbug crawling up someone's neck, lol!
Tabac EDC on the sheets: one spray a day, keeps the bed bugs away.

Sometimes I flick a lighter and shoot Tabac fireballs around the room. Nothing beats the smell of burnt Tabac in the mornings!

I recently took a number of international flights but did not involve the US. I saw one person get asked to dispose of a DE blade from a razor in Auckland, New Zealand. He was allowed to keep the bladeless razor in his carry on. I don't know if confiscating DE razors is a US thing, or an overly pedantic agent thing.

Hmm. I flew with a SE razor sans blade in September in my carry-on from Palm Beach to Atlanta and then overseas. No problems. Also flew over Thanksgiving with the same SE razor + blade through Charlotte and Raleigh no problem. Lucky?

Hmm. I flew with a SE razor sans blade in September in my carry-on from Palm Beach to Atlanta and then overseas. No problems. Also flew over Thanksgiving with the same SE razor + blade through Charlotte and Raleigh no problem. Lucky?
Maybe 🤔 since they said some yahoo did something stupid recently it's changed . I mean they Did say They flew Yesterday..

Disallowing straight razors in carry-ons makes sense. Disallowing non-cartridge razor blades in carry-ons makes sense. Disallowing razors without blades is absurd. Still, I don't recommend trying logic with a clueless TSA agent ("but without blades it can't cut, you see...").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom