What's new

new round of EU ingredient bans

Yeah I read that on one of our local news sites this morning - disgraceful, isn't it?!

I've heard worse excuses to stockpile.

WTH? Why those ingredients? Rose and citruses? Coumarin? I see that a perfume black market will bloom in near future.

What sort of allergic reactions are people experiencing? Are they so severe that nobody can enjoy the ingredients?

Yeah, they say 1-3% of people are allergic but it's skin reactions. So yeah you spray it on and might get a rash....
People are allergic to peanut but does that mean mars has to stop making snickers bars? they just put a warning label on it saying contains peanuts. I'm all for putting a warning label on perfumes that says contains oakmoss or whatever. And then perfumes companies can come out with allergen free perfumes and get a whole new market share...this banning of ingredients is ridiculous. The other thing is that perfumes have been around for hundreds of years using these ingredients and I'm sure some people get rashes but it's not like there have been massive outbreaks of allergic reactions every time a new scent is released...

I'm just hoping this time they've gone too far and the perfume companies will stop abiding by the regulations. If not then I guess perfume making will shift to the US and China to avoid the EU regulations which would change up the whole game.

Thanks for the link.

Well, the way things are going, in five or six years down the track when one sees "Our version of ......", instead of it being a cheap copy of a scent, it may be the superior version.

In my home town, every spring over half the population winds up having allergic reactions to pollens in the atmosphere and the sale of anti-histamine pills and nasal sprays go through the roof. Logically, the EU should ban travel to Australia during our spring and summer period.
Cheers,
Renato

If not then I guess perfume making will shift to the US and China to avoid the EU regulations which would change up the whole game.

That wouldn't address the problem with marketing those perfumes in Europe. Unless companies like Chanel and Guerlain are willing to make two distinct versions of perfumes (and it might be in their best interest to do so), we'll probably end up having to live with whatever the EU decrees.

That wouldn't address the problem with marketing those perfumes in Europe. Unless companies like Chanel and Guerlain are willing to make two distinct versions of perfumes (and it might be in their best interest to do so), we'll probably end up having to live with whatever the EU decrees.

Maybe, maybe not.
With huge new middle classes in China, India and South America - are they really going to stand for second rate stuff?
All it needs is for one major perfume group to start selling un-reformulated scents.
Perhaps the logo "Classic -Not For Sale in EU" may become the biggest marketing tool in fragrance history.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom