What's new

New rookie on the block

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Hello, and welcome! I cannot speak to whether the Wilkinson razor is more aggressive than the King C. Gillete because I have not used them. However, I would suggest you continue to use only the King C. Gillette for at least a month. Only then should you try the Wilkinson again.

The reason is every razor has a different amount of razor exposure and gap, and different razors shave at different angles to the face for best efficiency and comfort. Too often, beginners wade into this with all sorts of gear, changing it all out on a nearly daily basis. You will learn to shave comfortably. Eventually. But I guarantee you that you will learn faster if you stick with the KCG for a full month, and leave the other razor in a drawer. You'll be shaving with that KCG like it's your job in no time at all. When you try the other razor, use that one, and only that one for a while until you get used to its idiosyncrasies.

I'd also recommend you do the same with the blades. Not a month, certainly, but finish one tuck (5 blades) first, then change to another brand of blade and do a full tuck, as well. Now eventually, this will not be necessary. Experienced shavers who have shaved for years with many razors, and who have honed their technique can almost look at a new razor for a few moments and start out with a decent shave with it, and probably dial it in pretty much in several days. But too many beginners have mediocre (or worse) experiences for long periods of time because they're playing with too many things before they get a few miles under their belts.

There is a saying around here, YMMV, meaning your mileage may vary. Or one blade (razor, soap, cream, brush) may be one man's favorite and another's most hated, it's a very subjective thing. This topic is not, however, your mileage will not vary. Yes, you'll learn to shave efficiently and comfortably eventually hopping around from product to product. But I guarantee you that you will get there faster, with less nicks and uncomfortable shaves along the way if you follow my advice.

Put the Wilkinson away for a while and don't look at it. Focus on the KCG you're having initial success with. Later you may find you love the Wilkinson much more than the KCG, that's YMMV. But you'll thank me if you settle in with a razor for a month or more, stick with a blade for 3-5 blades before switching, etcetera. Go ahead and play with 2-3-4 lather products, though if you want to. My advice applies mostly to razors and blades. Good luck, and great shaves!

full

@JCinPA thank you very much for your recommendations. I will certainly do as you say, keep on the KCG razor and blade until the end of the tuck and then switch to some other blade with the same KCG razor.

Thank you ;-)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hello, and welcome! I cannot speak to whether the Wilkinson razor is more aggressive than the King C. Gillete because I have not used them. However, I would suggest you continue to use only the King C. Gillette for at least a month. Only then should you try the Wilkinson again.

The reason is every razor has a different amount of razor exposure and gap, and different razors shave at different angles to the face for best efficiency and comfort. Too often, beginners wade into this with all sorts of gear, changing it all out on a nearly daily basis. You will learn to shave comfortably. Eventually. But I guarantee you that you will learn faster if you stick with the KCG for a full month, and leave the other razor in a drawer. You'll be shaving with that KCG like it's your job in no time at all. When you try the other razor, use that one, and only that one for a while until you get used to its idiosyncrasies.

I'd also recommend you do the same with the blades. Not a month, certainly, but finish one tuck (5 blades) first, then change to another brand of blade and do a full tuck, as well. Now eventually, this will not be necessary. Experienced shavers who have shaved for years with many razors, and who have honed their technique can almost look at a new razor for a few moments and start out with a decent shave with it, and probably dial it in pretty much in several days. But too many beginners have mediocre (or worse) experiences for long periods of time because they're playing with too many things before they get a few miles under their belts.

There is a saying around here, YMMV, meaning your mileage may vary. Or one blade (razor, soap, cream, brush) may be one man's favorite and another's most hated, it's a very subjective thing. This topic is not, however, your mileage will not vary. Yes, you'll learn to shave efficiently and comfortably eventually hopping around from product to product. But I guarantee you that you will get there faster, with less nicks and uncomfortable shaves along the way if you follow my advice.

Put the Wilkinson away for a while and don't look at it. Focus on the KCG you're having initial success with. Later you may find you love the Wilkinson much more than the KCG, that's YMMV. But you'll thank me if you settle in with a razor for a month or more, stick with a blade for 3-5 blades before switching, etcetera. Go ahead and play with 2-3-4 lather products, though if you want to. My advice applies mostly to razors and blades. Good luck, and great shaves!

full

The Maestro has spoken! :thumbup1:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
@JCinPA thank you very much for your recommendations. I will certainly do as you say, keep on the KCG razor and blade until the end of the tuck and then switch to some other blade with the same KCG razor.

Thank you ;-)

You are welcome! Now after using up your two blades, you will probably be getting consistent, good, comfortable results from the KCG. THEN switch to the Wilkinson for a while. My suggestion was not against experimentation, just too much too soon. It is entirely possible you’ll prefer the Wilkie. Or the KCG. Or maybe you’ll want to try a vintage. That’s the fun in this. But for now, settle down, be mindful in your shaves, and you’ll be amazed how fast you progress. Good luck and great shaves!

You are welcome! Now after using up your two blades, you will probably be getting consistent, good, comfortable results from the KCG. THEN switch to the Wilkinson for a while. My suggestion was not against experimentation, just too much too soon. It is entirely possible you’ll prefer the Wilkie. Or the KCG. Or maybe you’ll want to try a vintage. That’s the fun in this. But for now, settle down, be mindful in your shaves, and you’ll be amazed how fast you progress. Good luck and great shaves!

Today I returned to KCG razor using yestarday's blade used on Wilkinson. That was a normal shave, without irritation or blood.

Said that, I will do as @JCinPA recommended and stay with KCG razor for some more time and after I will try Wilkinson again.

Thank you and great shaves!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't know those two razors so can't help you there.

In my experience most problems are caused by overdoing something.
  • Maybe overdoing the pressure.
  • Maybe overdoing the number of passes or stroke.
  • Maybe overdoing the expectations of the shave's outcome.
If there are problems overdoing is where to look for the solution.

It all improves over time with good practice and attention to the above advice.

You've already figured out a very important component. Control the variables. Don't change things. If you change anything, change only one thing at a time. Avoid jumping around with the components of your kit. Better to stick with the same gear for a good while.

Welcome to the conversation.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't know those two razors so can't help you there.

In my experience most problems are caused by overdoing something.
  • Maybe overdoing the pressure.
  • Maybe overdoing the number of passes or stroke.
  • Maybe overdoing the expectations of the shave's outcome.
If there are problems overdoing is where to look for the solution.

It all improves over time with good practice and attention to the above advice.

You've already figured out a very important component. Control the variables. Don't change things. If you change anything, change only one thing at a time. Avoid jumping around with the components of your kit. Better to stick with the same gear for a good while.

Welcome to the conversation.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hello!

Thank you for your answer.

I believe it could be a little mix of all your considerations.

By now and since then, I stay using KCG razor and been testing some blades to find what fits me better. I also tried some soaps but now I'm using TOBS Sandalwood and I just love it.

Only in some future I will pick Wilkinson Sword out of the box and give it a new try. But only when I will be using KCG. This razor is giving me great shaves, so why change by now? ;-)

My SOTD in these days (see picture above):

- Pre Shave: Soap Glycerin Ach Britto
- Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
- Razor: KCG
- Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge
- After Shave: Nivea Balm

Have Great Shaves!

Miguel
IMG_20211009_095951.jpg

Hello!

Thank you for your answer.

I believe it could be a little mix of all your considerations.

By now and since then, I stay using KCG razor and been testing some blades to find what fits me better. I also tried some soaps but now I'm using TOBS Sandalwood and I just love it.

Only in some future I will pick Wilkinson Sword out of the box and give it a new try. But only when I will be using KCG. This razor is giving me great shaves, so why change by now? ;-)

My SOTD in these days (see picture above):

- Pre Shave: Soap Glycerin Ach Britto
- Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
- Razor: KCG
- Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge
- After Shave: Nivea Balm

Have Great Shaves!

MiguelView attachment 1344269
Looks like you are doing just fine. Great choices in gear and great pics!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Thanks for joining, @Bigmigas! I see you have a Wilkinson Sword brush -- typically a boar-bristle brush, they take a little longer to break in but they are very good brushes especially at the price. I have several boar brushes including one of those, and prefer them to most other fibres (badger and synthetic I've tried).

Best advice I can give is just to focus on each shave -- take it slow, don't get rushed. Learn the razor. Use a light touch. Probably even by now that's become second nature to you.

O.H.

Thanks for joining, @Bigmigas! I see you have a Wilkinson Sword brush -- typically a boar-bristle brush, they take a little longer to break in but they are very good brushes especially at the price. I have several boar brushes including one of those, and prefer them to most other fibres (badger and synthetic I've tried).

Best advice I can give is just to focus on each shave -- take it slow, don't get rushed. Learn the razor. Use a light touch. Probably even by now that's become second nature to you.

O.H.
Thank you for your comments.

I'm using the Wilkinson Sword brush and I noticed that first shaves were difficult because it was very "hard" but before some shaves it got really nice. I have another one band new in the box with horse hair to use when this Wilkinson Sword brush be retired ;-)

Even with only a month of experience I can say that I already learned a lot of important things, like knowing my hair directions over face and neck, understand the angle of KCG razor and use as little pressing as possible when shaving.

And results are here: every shave I get a BBS result, no blood at all neither skin irritation.

At this moment I'm learning which blades are best for me with this razor. Until this moment, I'm getting great and durable shaves with the following blades: KCG, Astra SP and Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge.

That said, every shaving time it's been a pleasure moment for me. I'm very glad I found this way of shaving and all this community. Thank you all!

Have great shaves!

Cheers!

Miguel

Top Bottom