What's new

New residents don't like it

We recently moved to NC. There's a popular dish here called liver mush. I love all sorts of liver but that liver mush just didn't do it for me.

I'd be reluctant to try anything that included he words mush or mash in the name or appeared to be mush or mash.
dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Beans and Cornbread.

That's pretty funny. I love the stuff (especially when greens are added to the pot), and my wife also is a pretty big fan. My kids will eat it if it's what's for supper, but they won't touch leftovers.

As far as anything called "mush," I usually like just about anything along those lines (including liver mush, and I want to try that blue corn mush). However, I cannot hear that word without thinking of . . . .

Only real Texans can eat tripa or tripe (in English). Foreigners from other states turn their nose up on a real delicacy. The best way to eat them is boil them down to make them soft, then fry in lard to make them crispy. Serve inside a tortilla with hot sauce.

Brazilian here. We eat fried pork tripe here and it's great.

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando o Tapatalk

Scrapple. Pennsylvania Dutch origin, frugal use of the remainders from a pig--'everything but the oink'. Ground finely and mixed with cornmeal, herbs and spices, formed into blocks and wrapped up for long storage. Cut off a slice, fry it up in the pan and serve with eggs, pancakes or any other breakfast dish.

Scrapple. Pennsylvania Dutch origin, frugal use of the remainders from a pig--'everything but the oink'. Ground finely and mixed with cornmeal, herbs and spices, formed into blocks and wrapped up for long storage. Cut off a slice, fry it up in the pan and serve with eggs, pancakes or any other breakfast dish.

It a close cousin to Spam and I love both

Liver mush...scrapple...souse...head cheese....
That stuff is all over Western Maryland, Southern Pennsylvania.
It is NOT in my opinion, good eats. Not at all.
Wife will eat scrapple like it’s going out of style. Won’t eat (among a list of other stuff) green peas or cucumbers & onions in cream sauce though. Go figure.
Here in Eastern Tennessee, the local fare can be “interesting” indeed. Ramps are good though.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The biggest ones around here are real Cajun and Soul food that didn't go mass market. Real boudin, dirty rice, head cheese, chitlins, smothered neck bones, chicken livers and gizzards, okra [...] (love some fried Okra & Tomatoes),
Nate:
plus-one-png.797576
...now, this Thread could be just 'offal' (;)), but seriously...the Mrs. and I love some liver & onions, but being a 'equal opportunity' carnivores
proxy.php
...;

The innards I love is braunschweiger, liverwurst, oxtails, pork belly, scrapple, beef marrow roasted bones, kidneys, ham hocks, chicken livers, gizzards, pâté, foie gras (when I can source it), sweetbreads, 'cracklin & boudin'
(it's a Louisiana thing).
proxy.php

BTW, every now and then...I'll cook 'chitlins' (must be cleaned three [3] times...South Carolina style w/ garlic, onions & potatoes (to help thicken-up the gravy), over rice. :thumbsup:

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Is life worth living? It depends on the [cracklin]". William James

Last edited:
I like cracklins but have not a chance to taste a lot of that stuff. The liver and onions never rang my bell. I had some livers and gizzards once that were awesome. After that they were all kinds of gross. Won’t even think about them now.

Always wanted to try foie gras what is it like?

I like cracklins but have not a chance to taste a lot of that stuff. The liver and onions never rang my bell. I had some livers and gizzards once that were awesome. After that they were all kinds of gross. Won’t even think about them now.

Always wanted to try foie gras what is it like?
"Paté" or "foie gras" is pretty good.....if you decide to give it a go, for the first time, try it on some lightly buttered toast....if you like that move to crackers. It kinda tastes like heavily ground pepered pork.

"Paté" or "foie gras" is pretty good.....if you decide to give it a go, for the first time, try it on some lightly buttered toast....if you like that move to crackers. It kinda tastes like heavily ground pepered pork.

mmmm, reminds me:

upload_2018-9-3_21-18-34.jpeg

About $1.50. Not very pretty, nor very high class but perfect camping food.

Do you have this in Ontario?

Sugar cane syrup. Sugar cane is grown in Florida, but I cannot find the syrup in local stores. Visitors at my house do not like it and I cannot understand why they prefer artificially flavored corn syrup.

Google shows it carried by Loblaws, Metro and Walmart, whether or not that's outside Quebec...
dave

If you find it you should give it a shot. White bread, a little mustard, some lettuce and this stuff makes for a pretty good sandwich. It's to paté what Kraft singles is to cheese and Wonderbread is to bread.

Mountain oysters are quite popular here. From food trucks to higher class restaurants. Bruce's Bar serves platters of them. Town motto is "where the geese fly, and the bulls cry". Best goose hunting in the area too.

Top Bottom