What's new

New Replica Fatboy

Hello all!

Just a shout out to 195 fans.

I just happened to check on Global Shave Club’s replica version of the 195. It (Fat Guy) has been in development for over a year now and wanted to see their progress.

They finally posted pictures and a video.

Overall appearance doesn’t look bad. I watched the video and saw some screen shots. Just my opinion, it appears to be an ok copy, but the finish on closer inspection seems to be lacking a bit. It kind of resembles a 195 that was overly replated. It doesn’t look horrible, I just think the finish could be a lot better for what they are asking for.

My opinion is just based on what they have shown. Maybe the production models may look a bit better. If not, I think it may be better to pick up a challenged original on the cheap and have it replated.

Pics and the video can be found on the Global Shave Club website. I’m not promoting anything they sell, so I’m not going to go to the trouble of copying pics, if interested, check then out.

It apparently can only be adjusted after the quarter turn. I’m going to see if Ken Surf does a review. Available in chrome and a gold plate.

Thoughts?

Anyone order one?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My thoughts are that you can be pretty certain that every Youtuber with enough subscribers will get a free sample and will review it. I would not be surprised if they all love the Fat Guy, but I will not know because I will not watch the reviews, nor will I purchase this razor or anything else from the good folks at Global Shave Club. That's just jaded and cynical me, best wishes to all who buy the Fat Guy and I hope you love it. YMMV 👍

My thoughts are that you can be pretty certain that every Youtuber with enough subscribers will get a free sample and will review it. I would not be surprised if they all love the Fat Guy, but I will not know because I will not watch the reviews, nor will I purchase this razor or anything else from the good folks at Global Shave Club. That's just jaded and cynical me, best wishes to all who buy the Fat Guy and I hope you love it. YMMV 👍

I’m just putting the info out there, but I’ve heard people have had order issues with them in the past. I haven’t ordered from them personally.

What has also troubled me is that when they start talking about a replica, such as a Super Speed, Tech or this new 195, they post pictures of the original razor. Right before availability, they will post their version. Just always rubbed me the wrong way. To each their own I guess.

I mention KenSurfs because I think he does an honest review. Another reviewer I won’t name falls into the category of loving everything from GSC, like it’s the best thing ever, every time.

I would just as soon purchase an original. And I could always have it replated if I wanted a "like new" one for about the same price.

Seems to be some history here. I know nothing about the company, but prices (to me) seem reasonable for a new working replica, although I agree finish remains to be seen. Not originals, but especially with a FB a vintage purchase can be a crap shoot, and then you pay for refurbish and replate and you're into more $$ than these. I'm not adverse to a classic vintage reproduction, particularly one well done (Evo comes to mind), but opinions differ, and ultimately, these may or may not be.

Seems to be some history here. I know nothing about the company, but prices (to me) seem reasonable for a new working replica, although I agree finish remains to be seen. Not originals, but especially with a FB a vintage purchase can be a crap shoot, and then you pay for refurbish and replate and you're into more $$ than these. I'm not adverse to a classic vintage reproduction, particularly one well done (Evo comes to mind), but opinions differ, and ultimately, these may or may not be.

I guess we’ll see when they start shipping them out. I’ve seen some ugly prototypes but more often than not they tend to be reflective of the final product nowadays. I actually prefered the Taiga and Janus prototypes.

You’ll have to pardon my cynicism but the Fatboy wasn’t even the best adjustable Gillette made, they brought out an improved version just a few years after introduction. And it’s not as though Fatboys are unobtainium such that you can’t find one to experience the shave. Who was clamoring for this, and why?

$100 for a replica? And that’s presale, discount price. Ugh, I just bought a cased Fatboy for $50. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Looks like the whole head is cast, which is pretty impressive, imho. Although I'm not interested, huge respect to the one who pioneered the project.

now just waiting on the ever later delivery date. it's got shades of the Rockwell Model T.
Speaking of the Model T, have you tried it in your quest for a current production adjustable? I haven't tried the Rex, but I have found the Model T to be a really excellent shaver. Even so, I don't use mine very much as I don't care for the aesthetics. The T is just too massive, both in terms of size and weight, for my taste. But that's just a matter of personal prfeference. It does shave really well. They got the head geometry right, I'll give 'em that.

Speaking of the Model T, have you tried it in your quest for a current production adjustable? I haven't tried the Rex, but I have found the Model T to be a really excellent shaver. Even so, I don't use mine very much as I don't care for the aesthetics. The T is just too massive, both in terms of size and weight, for my taste. But that's just a matter of personal prfeference. It does shave really well. They got the head geometry right, I'll give 'em that.
I've got a model t and a rex. I prefer the rex, but the t is very good. I love the weight and handle length.

It's been 23 days now since mine "shipped". Still says USPS has not yet received the item though. I hope they shipped with insurance because mine obviously isn't coming. Not sure how I would file a claim though since the post office shows that they never actually got it.

Top Bottom