What's new

New razor?

I have been shaving with my Dovo special 5/8 for the past few week and I am making progress with my shaves. I’m considering getting another razor for a comparison between edges.
So I am wondering what all of your thoughts are. Should I buy a gold dollar from amazon, or post a WTB here in the forums. I would probably be looking for a good pice of steal in serviceable condition for maybe $45 or so. Something with potential even if it maybe needs work. What do you all think?

Get a good vintage from a reputable source. I recommend you TI, they get amazing edges. My latest 2 razors are a vintage TI Le Grelot and a vintage Le Jaguar 707. Both amazing edges, best edges out of all my straights. I don't have many, but I do have 2 Gold Dollars, 1 of them is not made correctly and I have wasted hours trying to put an edge to it but it's impossible because the shape of it is just not straight. And I know 1 person that is a fan of Gold Dollar who also encountered this issue. Probably bad quality control. Can't really ask for much at 10$. And my other Gold Dollar someone gave to me for testing on various hones. I have never shaved with it don't think I will very soon, enjoying the Frenchies too much ! They are better than my Dovo Square point. To be honest I also enjoy the 6/8 size more than the 5/8 inch. But yeah, I would get a good vintage. That's my cup of tea. You might like new razors, I don't know. Just get what you desire more. Only get a vintage if it is from a reputable source and you know you are getting a good razor. Otherwise get a Dovo or something, I have a Square Point Dovo and I am very happy with it. If you really want a Gold Dollar, I recommend you look for a vintage Chinese Double Arrow, they are basically vintage Gold Dollars. Far superior steel and they get super nice edges. I have 1 inherited from my late grandfather and it's been my favorite until I got my hands on the Frenchies. There it is a picture of it attached. You must look for the Double Arrow sign versus the usual sun sign on Gold Dollars. If you have the opportunity to get one of these, don't hesitate. They shouldn't be more than 20$. Or a Lark, also Chinese vintage. They say Larks are even better than Double Arrows. Enjoy shaving with straights, they are definitely the best ! [emoji6]
proxy.php

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A705FN folosind Tapatalk

I'd say to try a vintage 6/8 off of the BST. You will likely be able to find one within your budget.

Edit; I see Peter beat me to it.

I'd say to try a vintage 6/8 off of the BST. You will likely be able to find one within your budget.
The guy who sold me 2 6/8s said they were too big for his face, he is a smaller person. I believe he shaves with 5/8s and even 4/8s. My favourites are 6/8s, I feel the 5/8 and the 4/8 I cannot control that well and the 6/8 feels better in my hands. I have not tried bigger though. But yeah, depends on your hands and face size too ! Try them all and see what you like most [emoji4]

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A705FN folosind Tapatalk

Thanks y’all, I am definitely looking into picking up another razor at some point. I think I have some more work to do before then. My shaves are getting a little better every week. Maybe once I have a handle my Dovo I will look into the BST thread.

@Greg24 I dont have the Special but I do own a Dovo BQ 5/8. They are both made from Swedish steel that perform exceptional. IME the Swedish steel is either tempered differently, or the steel is slightly harder than the German carbon steel on my BQ 6/8 and require more honing effort.

The Swedish edge feels more keen, but not butter smooth once honed. That said they will mellow down after some use. They also hold a edge for a very, very, very long time.

I own 4, 5, 6 and 7/8 size razors and IME they all perform fantasic. It a blade is sharp it will shave any whiskers effortlessly. Muscle memory is a great asset and once you are a confident shaver blades size become irrelevant.

whippeddog.com and others here sell shave ready razors both new and vintage. I would encourge you to get an additional razor that is shave ready for comparison and also backup. Most vintage Sheffield and Solingen hollow grind razors will not disappoint (kropp, bengall, henckels, dovo, puma to name a few).

@Greg24 I dont have the Special but I do own a Dovo BQ 5/8. They are both made from Swedish steel that perform exceptional. IME the Swedish steel is either tempered differently, or the steel is slightly harder than the German carbon steel on my BQ 6/8 and require more honing effort.

The Swedish edge feels more keen, but not butter smooth once honed. That said they will mellow down after some use. They also hold a edge for a very, very, very long time.

I own 4, 5, 6 and 7/8 size razors and IME they all perform fantasic. It a blade is sharp it will shave any whiskers effortlessly. Muscle memory is a great asset and once you are a confident shaver blades size become irrelevant.

whippeddog.com and others here sell shave ready razors both new and vintage. I would encourge you to get an additional razor that is shave ready for comparison and also backup. Most vintage Sheffield and Solingen hollow grind razors will not disappoint (kropp, bengall, henckels, dovo, puma to name a few).
Thanks, I’ll check out whipped dog!

Don't be afraid to try an "Aliexpress" razor. Besides Gold Dollar there is also Kure Nai and Titan worth checking out. All of them cheap new razors. I like the edge on my Titan better than my vintage Solingen razor. That Titan was less than 20 euro's. As far as I am concerned these razors have only one drawback: setting the bevel might take a lot of work. But other than that they haven't disappointed me so far, they all can be made to shave great. I have no idea about edge holding due to pointless hobby honing and the length of my career:).

Top Bottom