What's new

New Razor

Well, I purchased a straight razor online about a week ago, and it rocked up today. Got a shave in with it (after reading quite a few threads here on how to do so without looking like a circus attraction afterwards). Managed to finish the shave with the same number of facial features I started with, although I did pick up a small cut when the razor drew briefly along my cheek. I think the styptic pencil was a worthy purchase.

The razor took off about a months beard with very little effort. Quite sharp. I'm hoping I'll be able to maintain its edge with the strop I purchased with it. The strop has two sides, a leather side and... A smooth side which is perhaps also leather? Its a Cyril Salter strop. The first side mentioned is quite rough. Should I strop on the rough side?

Today's shave was aiming only for beard reduction/removal, not a terribly close shave. Primary objective, not removing key body parts. In the near future I'm hoping for a smooth shave though... any advice?

Had a bit of a read of some of the stickied topics already, but there's rather a few, so I'm not as yet finished.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Congrats, and welcome. I'm no help, as I'm not manly enough to do straights. Yet.

Congrats - a leather strop will obviously have two sides. One that's "course" or suede, the other side will be treated and smooth. Use the smooth side.

Before you use it, run the palm of your hand up and down it's length. The oils in your hand keep it subtle. Then make sure it's taught or lose depending on what method you subscribe too, then do your stokes. I prefer a taught strop, and light strokes... but there's a million ways to skin a cat and a thousand guys selling the technique.

Just remember what a strop that isn't treated is about. It's about straightening out the edge. Sure you might get some polishing out of it bla, bla, bla, but at the end of the day, a strop simply maintains an edge giving the illusion that it's "sharpened it."

I guess it's all semantics, but there's no question that if you master a strop, it'll give your razor that edge you need for a smooth shave. If you blow it and roll the edge, man that thing is going to pull and could even hurt.

If you have a diamond spray or a paste of some kind, the rough side is great to actually give the blade a better edge.

It's an art man. Enjoy the edges you create!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience. Don’t forget to check in with the guys in the Straight Razor Forum. They would love to hear from you.

Glad you found B & B, welcome! Congrats on keeping all your facial features. Check out the Straight Razor section of the forum.

Ive read a couple threads here where new members used the thread to keep a journal of their shaves. I thought that sounded like a good idea, and I went looking for the Journals subforum mentioned in a few posts.

Well I must be needing my glasses more than is typical, because I cant find it! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Just finished up shave #3. Patchy, scratchy, and with a fair bit of burn. Anyone know if there's someone on the west coast of Australia that can hone my razor?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Ive read a couple threads here where new members used the thread to keep a journal of their shaves. I thought that sounded like a good idea, and I went looking for the Journals subforum mentioned in a few posts.

Well I must be needing my glasses more than is typical, because I cant find it! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Just finished up shave #3. Patchy, scratchy, and with a fair bit of burn. Anyone know if there's someone on the west coast of Australia that can hone my razor?
Welcome to B&B, and don't forget to check out the Straight Razor section for tips. There is a listing of Honemeisters, do a search, I'm sure you can find someone that can help you there.
As far as shaving journals, I have been using Google Calendar since I started my wet shaving journey.
prof

I see from the honemeister list on the wiki that my options are learn to sharpen it myself, or send it across the country...

I see from the honemeister list on the wiki that my options are learn to sharpen it myself, or send it across the country...

Such is life on the edge, lots of people here seem to pick up a spare razor to use to learn how to hone. I went the other way (trying to hone my only razor) and ended up so frustrated that I gave up all together for about a decade.

Top Bottom