What's new

New razor to start this hobby

Hey gang. I'm a long time reader and I was just given a very nice vintage Gillette Slim (?) by my cousin. It shaves pretty well (definitely better than the Merkur I got from Walmart years back!) I love what you guys do here. Can't wait to dig in. Are there any blades that work better in the old Gillettes than Astras? I have almost a hundred Astra SS and they shave just fine but was thinking about trying out some new blades in this razor. Thanks!

Buy samples of a wide range of blades and experiment; it is highly dependent upon your technique, skin, beard, water, lather, etc... as to which blades will work best for you. Tryablade and razorbladesclub both allow you to select individual blades (or multiples thereof) across a huge range of brands.

Enjoy the ride!

Oh, and welcome to B&B!

Tryablade or Razorbladesclub will let you build your own sampler…
If you like Astra SS (Blue) have a look at:

Gillette Perma-Sharp (golden/bronze pack)
Wizamet Iridium Super
Gillette Silver Blue or the Platinums (light Blue/dark Blue)
Nacet

Other blades than the Gillette’s above:
Bic Chrome Platinum
Personna Platinum
Feather

Blades are probably the most polarizing subject here besides the smell of Arko :) If you like the Astras you are using, keep using them. If you want to experiment (which is the only way you're going to really know what works for you) then I agree with the others' suggestion to try a blade sampler. Good luck!

P.s. Can you post some photos of the Slim? What year is it?

Blade samplers are a great way to explore many blades without committing to buying 100s of them at once. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to B&B.
...I was just given a very nice vintage Gillette Slim (?) by my cousin.
Great razor which will deliver great shaves with the Astra SP but GSB I find are better in performance. Any blade from the PPI stable is worth trying.

Welcome aboard!

Blades are the most YMMV (your mileage may vary) aspect of ’traditional’ wet shaving. As others note, blade sampler packs are a great way to determine your preferences.

Top Bottom