What's new

New razor suggestions

Agreed, my hair is a little more coarse but there’s still no need for the R41 when a mild-mid aggressive razor with a sharp blade will do. But we all like different things and many love their R41.

I find it hard to believe how many people think the R41 is comfortable unless maybe they have leather for skin because to me it was like scraping glass across my face. I never cut myself or got any weepers but that raw scraping feeling wasn’t pleasant. Maybe I’ll revisit it someday now that I’ve got a lot more experience.

If you want to test out another more aggressive razor that is more comfortable then the R41 I think the Lupo 95 is a good choice. But I’ll stick with my medium aggression razors like the GC84p,3one6,etc for daily.
I use the R41 as it came sometimes, but mostly with a SLOC top cap, that’s really mellowed out the harsh feeling

If you insist on getting an OC razor, then I would suggest the Barbaros TR3. It's a very efficient and smooth razor and the BBS I get is lasting a very long time. Another aggressive razor, which would make even the 2011 version of the R41 like a pussycat in comparison is the Stirling stainless with the Hyper Aggressive plate, which is available on the Stirling website and it's rumored to be the last batch and after it's gone, then it's gone for good. It's not an open comb razor though.

If you insist on getting an OC razor, then I would suggest the Barbaros TR3. It's a very efficient and smooth razor and the BBS I get is lasting a very long time. Another aggressive razor, which would make even the 2011 version of the R41 like a pussycat in comparison is the Stirling stainless with the Hyper Aggressive plate, which is available on the Stirling website and it's rumored to be the last batch and after it's gone, then it's gone for good. It's not an open comb razor though.
Thanks for the suggestion. For whatever reason I seem to get my best shaves from OC razors.

I started Wetshaving a few months ago with a Henson mild. I quickly graduated to the aggressive version but kept finding myself wanting more aggression. Then I found I prefer OC razors. I currently use either a 1904 patent Gillette OC, a dscosmetic X2, or a muhle R41 with an SLOC top cap. I now have a bad case of RAD and am wondering what other razors would be appropriate for my preferred level of aggression. I love the muhle Frankenrazor but would prefer the head not being made of zamak.
With regard to your concerns about the Muhle heads being made of Zamak, the modern R41 & R89 cap studs are made of brass. Most failures in Zamak heads happen with the stud.

The love to aggressive razors is the desire to get a response from a razor for an informative shave. In a year, you will improve your shaving skills and look towards soft and efficient razors.:biggrin1:

Thanks for the suggestion. For whatever reason I seem to get my best shaves from OC razors.
I would suggest the OC masamune. It's delightful. Very safe feeling but not as super mild as the closed bar one. Plus it's OC so good chopping down long hair while also being mild. I think they might still be on sale.

Attachments

• 20220825_195119.jpg
    20220825_195119.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Top Bottom