What's new

New Razor Suggestions

Howdy, I'm back to using my Merkur 180 after a brief cartridge relapse:thumbup: This was a good relapse, though, as my face reminded me that it prefers DE shaving. That being said, I would like some suggestions on an alternative to my Merkur 180. Looking for a new/unused and non-adjustable razor that isn't too aggressive.

And one tip for the noobs on the board--evaluate several different blade brands, especially if you're having trouble with shave quality/cuts/nicks. Too often we like to attribute these problems to poor technique, but I've found that my results vary from brand to brand even though I'm using the same razor and shaving technique.

I think the Merkur 180 is also the 23C (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It's the classic with the long handle.? anyway I have the 23C and really like it, I get consistently good shaves with it. But on the milder side I like a ball end tech. With a good sharp blade they are great shavers (YMMV). Another mild razor (the one I started with) is the Feather Popular. But I rarely use it anymore.

You'd have a hard time going wrong with the EJ DE89L. It's one of the best I've used at any price. Be sure to read the reviews - I am not alone in this opinion.

You'd have a hard time going wrong with the EJ DE89L. It's one of the best I've used at any price. Be sure to read the reviews - I am not alone in this opinion.

Beat me to it. There's a good reason it only took a few posts for this razor to be recommended. It's very popular around here. The price is superb, the razor is gorgeous to look at, fit and finish are top notch, and it shaves like a dream. Close, but mild. It's a perfect any day, everyday razor. If I couldn't use another razor for the rest of my life, I'd be all right if I still had my DE89L.

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I have read the EJ reviews and they are very positive. I have also been looking at the Muhle R89--which appears to be very similar to the DE89.

Does the "L" in DE89L mean it's a long-handled version of the DE89? I prefer longer handles (3.75" to 4").

I would also recommend the Muhle 89R since it has the new Muhle head and unlike the Edwin Jagger it has a handle you can keep hold of when your hands get slick. It can be had for 45 bucks shipped, that is 10 dollars more than a 23C/180 shipped to you. Be kinda dumb not to go for the Muhle. Standard length is 3.0" and long is 4.0" so the Muhle at 3.75 should be great.

Last edited:
I would suggest the Merkur 1904. It's not too mild and it's a classy looking razor. I prefer it over the two Gillette SS's I have.

I'd go along with this without a doubt. The 1904 is my go to DE like 95% of the time. The other 5% is when I'll use my HD when I feel I need a DE that's just a tad bit more agressive. Plus the 1904 won't break the bank. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom