What's new

New razor recommendations

For the last few years I've been using a DE86 as my DE. It's been a real struggle for me to get on to it, but it's going much better for me now. \

So, now I want to get something a little nicer.

I have a few criteria though.

It must be a three piece.
Open to stainless steel, but not an absolute priority.
The handle must have better grip or knurling on the handle.
It has to be something easily obtainable (I'm not interested in being on a long waiting list or buying a product from some obscure manufactuer).

What are some good obtions?

Considerations I've had are a Game Changer, EJ 3one6, Karve Christopher Bradley, Rockwell 6s, etc.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For the last few years I've been using a DE86 as my DE. It's been a real struggle for me to get on to it, but it's going much better for me now. \

It has to be something easily obtainable (I'm not interested in being on a long waiting list or buying a product from some obscure manufactuer).

What are some good obtions?

Considerations I've had are a Game Changer, EJ 3one6, Karve Christopher Bradley, Rockwell 6s, etc.
I have the Razorock Game changer.84 and Lupo.72 and really enjoy those 2 razors. The Lupo.72 is a nice razor with excellent clamping and loading the blade and removing it is slightly easier. Lupo.72 has a little more blade feel and I get stellar results.
The RR GC.84 is a tame mid range and is enjoyed by many folks. The QC of Razorock Stainless steel razors are outstanding and work great IMO.

I have the Razorock Game changer.84 and Lupo.72 and really enjoy those 2 razors. The Lupo.72 is a nice razor with excellent clamping and loading the blade and removing it is slightly easier. Lupo.72 has a little more blade feel and I get stellar results.
The RR GC.84 is a tame mid range and is enjoyed by many folks. The QC of Razorock Stainless steel razors are outstanding and work great IMO.

I've considered getting a Gamechanger with both base plates.

Have you looked at Above the Tie (ATT)? They have some really great stainless steel options. Built for a lifetime of service and plenty of options to choose from. (Handles, blade gap/base plates and finishing)
A little more expensive but well worth the investment, IMO.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've considered getting a Gamechanger with both base plates.
If you get both bases for the Game changer that gives you a bit of flexibility.
Another unknown to a lot of shavers is the Kai SS blade and it is slightly wider than standard Gillette blade and it works well to give my RR GC.84 a nice boost(I like some blade feel). It is good to have a few tucks for milder razors like your DE86 to bump it up a notch in performance. They are pricier but are sharp & smooth with excellent longevity and have used them for 100+ shaves already.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Buying can be enjoyable and finding a best razor for yourself can be challenging.

So I could just recommend my personal favourites, but the new razor should fit your criteria and needs. My question is, how thick are your single whiskers. The thicker these are the more direct a razor should be. You can't go wrong with the Rockwell 6S, built like a tank and very solid, but on the mild side. It will always give you good shaves, but this razor maybe is a compromise. With thick whiskers I recommend a Greencult from fairschenkt.at , rock solid design,rather aggressive but always easy to handle. The exact opposite to the Greencult is the Tritok R51, the mildest razor ever.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Since you've decided to avoid adjustables, as you are requiring options on 3-piece razors only, I can only tell you about one. Why? Cause I only own one 3-piece razor.

Feather AS-D2
proxy.php
proxy.php
The Feather AS-D2 is a Japanese made razor, made out of 316L stainless steel, high grade construction. As you can see by my pictures, it uses a textured grip handle with knurling, this razor will not slip out of your hand, if you have wet or soapy fingers! This is a standard 3-piece razor design, but it does weigh a fair bit, 3.4 ounces, and as such, is classified as a heavy weighted razor.

The Feather AS-D2 is also a mild razor by design, as such, it prefers and excels at daily shaves. If you are a daily shaver, have soft whiskers, and you run a Feather blade in this razor, this razor will dominate without hesitation. However, if you are a 2-day stubble shaver like me, and or you have course thick whiskers, this razor becomes inefficient quickly!

As with everything in this shaving journey, YMMV

I’m still fairly new. I started with the GameChanger with the .68 plate. I just ordered the .84 plate so I can see the difference. I’ve been told some of my neck irritation might be due to too many passes with the milder plate. But overall your criteria for a new razor sounds just like the GameChanger.

I’m still fairly new. I started with the GameChanger with the .68 plate. I just ordered the .84 plate so I can see the difference. I’ve been told some of my neck irritation might be due to too many passes with the milder plate. But overall your criteria for a new razor sounds just like the GameChanger.
It’s interesting how milder razors can irritate our skin. I always enjoyed milder razors like the Razorock Mamba and even the Game Changer 68 but found trying to get just a little smoother by going over and over a few rough spots lead to irritation and sting when using an alum block. Going up to the Game Changer 84 was too much for me but the Game Changer 68OC is pretty much perfect. It’s about as mild as the 68 but shaves closer. Might be the least irritating razor I’ve ever tried.

There are many, many good choices for you to consider, some of which have already been mentioned. Of the razors I have owned I would recommend any one of these:
Game Changer .84
Muhle Rocca
Edwin Jagger 3one6
Karve Christopher Bradley (Brass)

All of these are in the $100 or less price category, depending upon where you buy it and what kind of deal you can get. Of those, my favorites are the Muhle Rocca and the Karve Christopher Bradley. I have sold the Game Changer and 3one6, but I still think that they are excellent razors. Then there's a whole world of what I consider "ultra premium" razors, but I've never used any of them. I would recommend getting a better fix on exactly what you want in a razor before moving up to the world of Timeless, Charcoal Goods, Wolfman, etc. On the other hand, many of those manufacturers offer a trial period with full refunds, so maybe it's not that much of a gamble.

Since you considered the Karve Christopher Bradley, I would recommend the Karve Overlander in Aluminum or Brass. I have been very pleased with it. Little to no blade feel but very efficient. I had my brass Overlander 24K gold plated as I liked it that much. Recently I bought the Aluminum and either razor performs the same.

What is missing in your criteria is if you are a daily shaver.
If you are, the Game Changer .68 will suit you but the .84 will work too if you are careful.
The Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 has a larger blade gap and will be a bigger step up from the DE89; useful for the longer stubble situation. The Muhle Rocca is very similar to the 3one6.

Great idea to try different plates and length of handles. Helps you find what you like and don’t like. Italian Barber (RR) often runs special sales - sign up for emails and they will email you. RR plates and handles are priced at great value. BST is also a great way to go in my experience. Karve CB comes in different plates and handle lengths; but can get expensive to try them out in SS.

Carbon Shaving and Timeless are more than a little nice but higher price than the cohort you named. Trying different plates would be expensive in these lines.

There are many, many good choices for you to consider, some of which have already been mentioned. Of the razors I have owned I would recommend any one of these:
Game Changer .84
Muhle Rocca
Edwin Jagger 3one6
Karve Christopher Bradley (Brass)

All of these are in the $100 or less price category, depending upon where you buy it and what kind of deal you can get. Of those, my favorites are the Muhle Rocca and the Karve Christopher Bradley. I have sold the Game Changer and 3one6, but I still think that they are excellent razors. Then there's a whole world of what I consider "ultra premium" razors, but I've never used any of them. I would recommend getting a better fix on exactly what you want in a razor before moving up to the world of Timeless, Charcoal Goods, Wolfman, etc. On the other hand, many of those manufacturers offer a trial period with full refunds, so maybe it's not that much of a gamble.

How does the Muhle Rocca differ from the DE89/R89 heads?

I have a Feather ASD2 and shave every-other day. No magic blade, and I've gotten 6 good shaves out of a humble Astra SP. The Feather is a mild and efficient razor and i get a DFS in two or three passes with touch-up. I admit that I've only been DE shaving for a couple months, but other than my vintage Gillette razors, I'm pretty certain the Feather will always be a mainstay in my rotation.

I also have three RR Game Changers: 68P, 84P, and 68OC. I've only used the 68P at this point, and still learning it, but I will say that it is different enough from the Feather that I seem to require at least three passes with a lot more touch-up to get a similar shave to the Feather. It doesn't feel as mild or efficient as the Feather, but I still get a great, irritation-free shave, it just seems to take more effort. Time will tell if it is just not as efficient as the Feather, or if the problem lies with the operator (me).

I plan to move on to the 84P next, and expect that to be more efficient that the 68P, hopefully not at the expense of comfort as it is a bit more aggressive.

As for the 68OC, I'll eventually get to it, but reserving that one for times when I have a 3-4 day to see if the open comb performs well on longer whiskers.

So, yeah, probably not a lot to take away from that, other than I find the Feather to be an exceptional razor that is mild and efficient...and has never bitten me. The RR GC is a beautiful razor for the money and gives a nice, comfortable shave, and all three of mine cost less (combined) than the Feather.

Last edited:
I mostly use a Timeless titanium .68 duel comb and love it but I own and still use a Razorock Game Changer .68sb and .68oc (used the RR oc today). I have a light beard and sensitive skin so all these razors suit me. I think the Game Changer is a great stainless steel razor for the money...

Top Bottom