What's new

New razor out for delivery - need help choosing a blade

I have a Maggard Razor with an aggressive head out for delivery, expecting it in the late afternoon. This is a perfect time since I will shave my head this evening.
My question is about the blade to use when you get a new razor. Do you try a new blade (since I’m feeling a bit adventurous) or do you go with one that’s been used before, trusted and given you god shaves before?

My other question is whether anyone used the maggard aggressive head before and what was their experience like? I currently rotate between a Merkur slant and a Merkur futur clone in setting 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't answer the aggressive head question, as I only had the other version. But I typically start with a "tried & true" blade, which for me is the Red Personna or a GSB. Typically a new blade. But if the razor is known to be aggressive, like an Old Type or, say, a Piccolo (thanks again!) I will start with a blade that has at least one shave on it.

I’m a little nervous about the aggressiveness, found out too aggressive razors are not good for me (hence having to part ways with the Fatip open comb) for some reason, I don’t consider the slant too aggressive and it works well for me.
Will probably go with either a Voskhod or a Gillette silver blue, both have given me great and comfortable shaves in the past.

I usually go with a blade that is standard for me (Astra Platinum) to keep the variables at a minimum.

IMO, the Maggard head is more in the ballpark of the Merkur slant, not overly aggressive but efficient and comfortable. It still deserves your respect because with bad technique I’m sure it could chew your face off! I hope you enjoy your shave with it, I love mine!

I'd go with a new blade that you know and trust; whichever is your favorite now. Head shaving with a DE is a different animal, as the scalp is unforgiving. Enjoy your shaves!

Thanks everyone, I think I’ll try it with a Voskhod blade.
Also getting a soap commander fortitude soap that I’m excited bout.

With any new Razor, I usually go with a blade that has 3-4 shaves on it. Better safe than sorry..! :eek::eek:

I don’t consider myself an experienced wet shaver, only two years under my belt, so I am just curious as to why some are recommending a blade that has been used for shaving before with a new razor?

I don’t consider myself an experienced wet shaver, only two years under my belt, so I am just curious as to why some are recommending a blade that has been used for shaving before with a new razor?

Its to keep your face from getting sliced & diced.!:eek: Aggressive razor & an aggressive new blade = possible nick city. Much safer to try a blade with a few shaves on it IMO.

Whenever I try a new to me razor whether vintage or new I put in one of my top two blades. I only have a few different blades to begin with but for me my top two are Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp or a Wilkinson Sword Classic.

I just shaved this morning with the Maggard V3A head. It's more aggressive than their V3, but not a monster by any means. It was my third shave with a Gillette Nacet blade and today was definitely a DFS. I'm a head shaver as well and the V3A is a very good head for my head.

I would go tried and true before experimenting with other blades. You know what to expect and can take time learning the new bit of kit

For me a new razor means that I need to revisit my blade choices. I generally start with my top tier, then try anything else that is in my blade drawer. YMMV especially with blades.

Had my first shave with the maggard MR11 and a V3A head last night, it was amazing. This morning I had my first head shave with it and it was smooth. No nicks, no irritation.

I did end up using a Voskhod blade, which o have used before and gotten great shaves with.

I did end up using a Voskhod blade, which o have used before and gotten great shaves with.
Always best when first testing a new razor to use a blade you have had a good track record with as it gives you confidence the blade will not be an issue. Astra SP is my benchmark blade.
I am still testing Voskhod blades as I have only used two to date. It does not seem a bad blade but it is early days yet to have formed an opinion.

Had my first shave with the maggard MR11 and a V3A head last night, it was amazing. This morning I had my first head shave with it and it was smooth. No nicks, no irritation.

Congrats on your success with the NEW V3A! :thumbsup:
I've been looking at these for a while and I'm going to have to try one soon.

Top Bottom