What's new

New razor day - Fatip Piccolo SE

So you disliked the newer handle? Or the older? What was so bad about it?
I think that was @xiletero that didn't like it. I haven't tried the Retro since I have the Grande and am pretty happy with that one.

I don't see anything wrong with the Retro, but I would like the newer version more than the older one.

I think that was @xiletero that didn't like it. I haven't tried the Retro since I have the Grande and am pretty happy with that one.

I don't see anything wrong with the Retro, but I would like the newer version more than the older one.
O sorry. There really is not as many reviews on the retro as the piccolo or grande and I'm wondering why. O well, I'll see how it is when it comes.

I'm starting to feel comfortable with the Piccolo now. It's small, but handles really well - especially ATG. 7 O'Clock Yellows are working well with the gentile plate!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My first shave with the Piccolo was interesting. It's my second razor so I can only compare it to the DE89. I used a Voskhod with the gentile plate - very little audible feedback, and I could barely feel the blade! I think it might take me a few shaves to get used to the angle. Still, the results were great!
I too tried the Gentile plate first when I got my Piccolo SE, and yes, there is little feedback and the angle is very narrow while providing a close smooth shave.
Then I used the OC plate and have never used the Gentile plate again. I have small hands, and I love the balance with the Piccolo handle.
I don't have a DE89 to compare it with, but I do have a Gillette Heritage that is supposed to be an EJ/Muhle clone. While I did find the Heritage surprisingly smooth for it's design, a back-to-back comparison with the same Gillette Platinum blade, the Piccolo came out on top for me.

Of course it is YMMV, but I think you are gonna love your new SE!

I tried the OC plate today with a 7 O'Clock Green (Russian). It was much smoother than the gentile. I didn't even need to do an ATG pass! It's an incredible little razor!

O no. Is it that bad? I just got this on the way. Returned the piccolo as the handle was too small. Did you have the old retro handle or the new one? I think they changed the size to a little smaller.
I did not get a good shave with it. Mine was bought new a year ago, not sure if new or old style. It is just too thin to get a good grip, but the head is good. So I have decided to either use a Muhle top w a regular RR SS grip, or else a Schone grip...and it all works out

I did not get a good shave with it. Mine was bought new a year ago, not sure if new or old style. It is just too thin to get a good grip, but the head is good. So I have decided to either use a Muhle top w a regular RR SS grip, or else a Schone grip...and it all works out
Ok cool. Just curious did you like the piccolo handle?

Ok cool. Just curious did you like the piccolo handle?
Not really , I like the fatter, longer hollow handle. That one seems to fit me better and that way I get better shaves. I am sure for face shaving it doesn't matter, but head is different: a bit of blind acrobatics....so having a comfortable handle is half the deal

Not really , I like the fatter, longer hollow handle. That one seems to fit me better and that way I get better shaves. I am sure for face shaving it doesn't matter, but head is different: a bit of blind acrobatics....so having a comfortable handle is half the deal
Yea your right, the handle is half the razor.

I too tried the Gentile plate first when I got my Piccolo SE, and yes, there is little feedback and the angle is very narrow while providing a close smooth shave.
Then I used the OC plate and have never used the Gentile plate again. I have small hands, and I love the balance with the Piccolo handle.
I don't have a DE89 to compare it with, but I do have a Gillette Heritage that is supposed to be an EJ/Muhle clone. While I did find the Heritage surprisingly smooth for it's design, a back-to-back comparison with the same Gillette Platinum blade, the Piccolo came out on top for me.

Of course it is YMMV, but I think you are gonna love your new SE!

After using the OC plate I don't think I'll be using the Gentile much!

Top Bottom