What's new

New Proraso Convert

I was recently recommended Proraso. Heard about it for years, seen it around for years. Never considered a (relatively) inexpensive cream that was readily available at the big box drug store. I always figured all of these bougie small batch artisanal shaving soap makers would have superior products. Nothing against small batch artisans. I love to support them, but so far, nothing lathers and is as slick and cushiony as Proraso...I imagine I'll have all of their scents before long.

When I started down this rabbit hole I felt I must own the classic green before wandering further. It’s a fine product to be sure. The red however and it’s accompanying AS are amazing IMHO. I renamed it “Proraso winter” in my head. It’s a perfect scent and composition for Minnesota winters! Looking forward to the white

I was recently recommended Proraso. Heard about it for years, seen it around for years. Never considered a (relatively) inexpensive cream that was readily available at the big box drug store. I always figured all of these bougie small batch artisanal shaving soap makers would have superior products. Nothing against small batch artisans. I love to support them, but so far, nothing lathers and is as slick and cushiony as Proraso...I imagine I'll have all of their scents before long.
That's pure prejudice. Proraso is the best thing since the invention of the safety razor. 😜
After you try the four varieties, tell us which you like most.

Red Proraso is more emollient, for dry skin or coarse beard.
That's what the labeling says. And that's why I bought the red one first. My black whiskers are the worst type. But it's all marketing. Used many times all 4 colours and I can tell there is no difference in closeness of shave or the degree of softening the whiskers.

I love the Proraso green cream. I have also tried the blue and the Azur Lime as well. They are all fantastic. They lather easily, smell great, and most importantly, they perform well providing a nice slick and cushioned surface. And the price is reasonable. What more can you ask for?

Proraso Blue cream is the one soap I just keep coming back to. Every time I step away for a while to use other products, it seems I always wonder why I ever left. Variety is the only reason!

Hi, agree with everyone that Proraso is good soap that should be in our shaving rotations. I've also been very happy with the results achieved with inexpensive soaps. Where we live Williams is the best value, at 99 cents a puck in local grocery stores, that delivers great lather with a good boar brush.

I purchased my first tub of Proraso red (this is the croap) about a year ago and found that it lathers incredibly well with limited effort using my synthetic plissoft brush. For me the slickness was good but not at the level I get from Williams alone or my blend of Williams and Van Der Hagen (Easier lather from the Van Der Hagen combined with Williams tallow slickness). Use the Plissoft for my blend. For me slickness is the most important factor for shave quality. Have found that a tiny dab of Proraso on my other hard soaps/blends does enhance the lather quality and just got great results by adding about 10% Proraso to my Williams/Van Der Hagen blend with thicker lather that is also very slick. Of course, as mentioned in posts above, Proraso has an excellent scent, especially the residual scent after shaving, that I do not get from the Williams or my blend. For that reason I still occasionally use the Proraso alone, typically with a brand new blade when the lower slickness is not much of an issue.

Bottom line is Proraso will remain part of my rotation for occasional use alone (do love the post shave scent) and as part of my blend. In fact I just took advantage of a holiday sale to buy a back-up Proraso red.

Proraso Green, Red, White, and Blue are all in my rotation. I like them all! Green is queued up for Thursday.

IMG_8480.jpg

I have used the red, white, and green tubs (croaps) as well as the blue tube (cream). They've all generated very good slick and cushiony lather for me. My favorite is the white, but I love using the red during the winter. Like the white, the blue is also excellent for any time of the year. For some reason, the green has become the proverbial redheaded stepchild of the Proraso croaps and creams to me. (My apologies to all redheaded stepchildren.) But then again, redheads tend to look very good dressed up in green! 😁

I have used the red, white, and green tubs (croaps) as well as the blue tube (cream). They've all generated very good slick and cushiony lather for me. My favorite is the white, but I love using the red during the winter. Like the white, the blue is also excellent for any time of the year. For some reason, the green has become the proverbial redheaded stepchild of the Proraso croaps and creams to me. (My apologies to all redheaded stepchildren.) But then again, redheads tend to look very good dressed up in green! 😁
Shaving with Green this morning was very refreshing! I agree that Red is awesome in the Winter and will shave with that one next.

I didn’t try Proraso until last year. I had been wet shaving for about ten years already and for some reason never tried it. But since then I have tried the white and blue tube creams and the original green soap. The original green is probably my favourite! Great value and performance.

I have been using Proraso for years . I love all three colors in soap . My local Wegmans supermarket carries the green cream . It is nice to see such a great shaving product available in a local store. Proraso gives me as good a shave as anything I’ve ever used.

Loyal Proraso Blue user here, have been for years.

If they labelled it as Artisan Made, small batch, uber base 2.76a, limited edition......everyone here would be talking about how great it is and signing up for purchase notifications.

It's sold at my local drug store and amazon, mass produced, readily available and no fuss....so most people dismiss it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I like the performance for a drugstore cream, but the deal killer for me is the film/residue. There was a thread over on the Nook about the ‘Dirtiest Soap’, and Proraso took the prize.

There are too many clean rinsing soaps and creams that perform better. You can shave with Castle Forbes for 1/2 cent per shave more, per musicman I believe, because CF is 3x more concentrated - per my and his tests/comments. It costs you $1.80 a year extra to shave with CF vs Proraso, and CF rinses clean and performs better.

I like the performance for a drugstore cream, but the deal killer for me is the film/residue. There was a thread over on the Nook about the ‘Dirtiest Soap’, and Proraso took the prize.

There are too many clean rinsing soaps and creams that perform better. You can shave with Castle Forbes for 1/2 cent per shave more, per musicman I believe, because CF is 3x more concentrated - per my and his tests/comments. It costs you $1.80 a year extra to shave with CF vs Proraso, and CF rinses clean and performs better.
Residue? I’ve never felt a residue on my face from any soap or cream. There’s residue in the sink when the water drains.

Top Bottom