What's new

New Proraso Convert

Proraso creams are in my regular rotation sharing time with Mitchel's Wool Fat, Klar, & Haslinger soaps. I like the feel of my face when I have used any of my three Proraso creams (red, green, blue). Being cheap and readily available in local pharmacies and online (Amazon) does not hurt.

I haven't posted in a LONG time, figured this would be a good place as any to start posting :)
I had originally discovered Proraso green / CO Bigelow from the forum over 10 years ago, used it and then forgot about it. Until now that is. TJ Maxx has the old formula creams for $4.99, a screaming hot deal! I picked up the green and white versions - both creams and pre-shaves. The green cream is out of this world, I wasn't expecting a BBS but this was the best shave I've had in a long time (I've been using GFT Sandalwood soap, Tabac cream and Musgo Real cream in my rotation and been getting average shaves.) My face hasn't felt this good in a long time. Only problem for me is the menthol is too strong in the New England winters. The white came in second place - my first pass was okay, second pass was amazing. Loved both pre-shaves too, use them as AS as well.
Now for the not so good. I got the dark Red cream online, new super formula, after reading the positive reviews here. Nowhere near as nice as the old green or white IMHO. Also, the scent isn't "real" sandalwood - I'd know, I come from the land of Sandalwood. I love sandalwood, but this is just not it. I was wondering if anyone else felt the new super formula isn't as good as the old one. I thought it'd be better with the Valobra acquisition, but it just doesn't seem to stand up to the old version creams. I tried 3 times just to make sure, old formula gave better shaves each time. Am I crazy?

...Now for the not so good. I got the dark Red cream online, new super formula, after reading the positive reviews here. Nowhere near as nice as the old green or white IMHO. Also, the scent isn't "real" sandalwood - I'd know, I come from the land of Sandalwood. I love sandalwood, but this is just not it. I was wondering if anyone else felt the new super formula isn't as good as the old one...
I think it contains real sandalwood oil. But probably not the protected sandalwood from the Mysore region in India. It might be Australian sandalwood, a related but different tree.

I'm still using the old formula, which I like quite a bit, so no comment on the newer super formula.

I was recently recommended Proraso. Heard about it for years, seen it around for years. Never considered a (relatively) inexpensive cream that was readily available at the big box drug store. I always figured all of these bougie small batch artisanal shaving soap makers would have superior products. Nothing against small batch artisans. I love to support them, but so far, nothing lathers and is as slick and cushiony as Proraso...I imagine I'll have all of their scents before long.
Proraso:
* Quality
* Consistent
* Economical
* Stable and still innovative

I don't use pre-shave every day but when I do it's Proraso. Their pre-shave is excellent! Just like the soaps. I've used others but I'm down to the "White" for the go-to, "Red" in the winter and the "Original Green" in the summer.

Not a set rule, just happens that way.

By the way when your checking out their different soaps, don't forget the "Single Blade" line. Even better!

Not much written here about Proraso PRE-SHAVE.

Any comments?
If I skip a shave, I use the red pre-shave (along with red soap and aftershave). Honestly, I don’t know if it makes my whiskers softer or easier to cut, but I do like the feel of my skin when the shave is done. 😀

By the way when your checking out their different soaps, don't forget the "Single Blade" line. Even better!
I’ve been curious about the single blade. Is it different than their other soap? Any better for a straight razor shave?

From the day I started DE shaving Proraso Green is easily my most used soap and ranks in my top 3 alongside Cella Red and the Fat.
All great soaps. MWF was my first soap and is my #2 favorite (Tabac tallow is #1). I introduced my brother to shaving brushes and soaps and gave him my Cella. Once I smelled it, I immediately thought of him thinking he would love it. He did.

The Single edge Prorasos soaps are a little different. A little thicker lather, a little slicker, and the scents are a little more complicated.

I like them all but the Cypress & Vetyver is my favorite. They take a little more water when lathering, if you don't, the lather can been so thick you have to rinse your razor more often.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have the white in the tub. The concern I have, which might be unwarranted, would be the white residue left on my brushes. I have 4 soaps and have used the Proraso the least so I haven't seen any build up... for you regular users of Proraso soaps and creams, are you seeing any concerning residue left on your brushes? I've seen several notes about this in the brush threads, hence the question here.

I have the white in the tub. The concern I have, which might be unwarranted, would be the white residue left on my brushes. I have 4 soaps and have used the Proraso the least so I haven't seen any build up... for you regular users of Proraso soaps and creams, are you seeing any concerning residue left on your brushes? I've seen several notes about this in the brush threads, hence the question here.
No, not at all. I rotate 9 or 10 soaps and creams, and never had a problem with any them. :frown2:
But then I thoroughly rinse my brushes, and dry them on a towel before putting them away.

No, not at all. I rotate 9 or 10 soaps and creams, and never had a problem with any them. :frown2:
But then I thoroughly rinse my brushes, and dry them on a towel before putting them away.
Same (well, except for the soap rotation). I've never really noticed any soap residue after lathering. Of course, I always squeeze out the excess lather from my brush and then rinse (and dry) my brush after shaving.

I do get the issue with residue with Proraso (and others in the past). This would be my only Proraso complaint. But I think there are other factors.

My wife uses it in the shower and her brush doesn’t have any residue on the handle, where when I finish my brush handle has a layer. I think it’s because after shaving I clean the brush out in the sink full of water, the same water I used to shave. I also tend to overuse the cream (too much in the brush). My razor can get a film on it too if I don’t wipe it dry at the end, but if I do it easily wipes off. My brush I dry the handle then it’s clean.

If I used running water to shave I don’t think it would be much of an issue at all. But we have an annoying on demand water heater so I don’t want to keep turning it on and off as the water ends up cold in the tap.

I don’t think it’s really that big of a deal. It’s not like soap scum that is hard to remove. Its just a light film.

Top Bottom