What's new

New Projects

Two old EverReadys waiting for improvement.

The Green and White on found in a Thrift Shop in Cocoa Beach Florida. The seller noted that the knot was removable, making it easier to clean. I doubt that was intentional, only that the mechanism that held the cup in had failed. That will make it easier to prepare. The knot is totally wasted. My only concern is that with the knot removed, there is some stink coming from the hole. I ran into this on another old restore a few years ago and the stink never went away. It was worse when wet. Any suggestions on getting rid of it would be helpful. I'll delay reknotting it until it is remedied. I'm thinking of a 24 mm Finest or Silvertip.

The Black one also has a story. I noticed it at a friend's house and commented on it. He said he hadn't used it in years. It was left in a mug and saturated with soap. He wrapped it up and gave it to me as a birthday present a few months later. He is kind of a prankster. The knot cleaned up better than I thought it would but still not great. I'm thinking of a 24 mm Black and White Synthetic knot for it.

20210530_221104[1].jpg

For the benefit of others who may have a problem getting rid of odors in an old handle, here is some follow-up on getting rid of the stink in the green and white handle.

I tried scrubbing it with soap & water, and rubbing alcohol with no improvement. Finally I tried soaking it in a solution of OxiClean. An hour or two didn't seem to do anything, so I let it soak overnight. The odor was gone the next morning. Just for drill, I mixed a fresh batch and soaked it for another day. After drying it off, I let it sit out for a few hours and the odor hasn't returned. I'll leave it alone for a few days to be sure, perhaps with part of that time outside in the sunshine.

The odor continued and I continued trying to get rid of it. Tried an ultra-sound bath with no effect. Tried OxyClean some more. Tried leaving it out in the sunshine. Finally a couple more OxyClean treatments reduced it greatly.

I finally felt it was worth opening up the hole for a 22 mm Ace Finest knot I had available, and the odor was reduced some more. A couple more OxyClean treatments and I was ready to go ahead.

The entire interior of the handle is hollow, so I carved a cork bottle stopper (from Hobby Lobby) to create a floor.

Here is the results:

20210801_223639[1].jpg

After installing the knot before it got wet.
20210803_193431[1].jpg

Lathered up with Coats Lavender
20210803_193734[1].jpg

And in wet bloom

Two old EverReadys waiting for improvement.

The Green and White on found in a Thrift Shop in Cocoa Beach Florida. The seller noted that the knot was removable, making it easier to clean. I doubt that was intentional, only that the mechanism that held the cup in had failed. That will make it easier to prepare. The knot is totally wasted. My only concern is that with the knot removed, there is some stink coming from the hole. I ran into this on another old restore a few years ago and the stink never went away. It was worse when wet. Any suggestions on getting rid of it would be helpful. I'll delay reknotting it until it is remedied. I'm thinking of a 24 mm Finest or Silvertip.

The Black one also has a story. I noticed it at a friend's house and commented on it. He said he hadn't used it in years. It was left in a mug and saturated with soap. He wrapped it up and gave it to me as a birthday present a few months later. He is kind of a prankster. The knot cleaned up better than I thought it would but still not great. I'm thinking of a 24 mm Black and White Synthetic knot for it.

View attachment 1275984
Are you still planning to re-do the black brush? I'd encourage you to follow through with your plan to put a black & white knot in it. I recently cleaned up a rough black brush from an antique shop and put an AP Shave Tuxedo knot in it and I think it's really nice-looking. I think you'd be pleased with the result from yours.

Are you still planning to re-do the black brush? I'd encourage you to follow through with your plan to put a black & white knot in it. I recently cleaned up a rough black brush from an antique shop and put an AP Shave Tuxedo knot in it and I think it's really nice-looking. I think you'd be pleased with the result from yours.

Yes, but I'm in no hurry. I have some new handles I haven't added knots to yet and will probably do them first. Butterscotch, faux horn, and faux jade.

Last edited:
I'm also very impressed with certain synthetics. I have used several Maggards Black and White knots and although different in character they function wonderfully.

Finally I tried soaking it in a solution of OxiClean. An hour or two didn't seem to do anything, so I let it soak overnight. The odor was gone the next morning.
Do you mean that you immersed the whole brush in the solution of the OxiClean? And it didn't damage the exterior paint layer?
The entire interior of the handle is hollow, so I carved a cork bottle stopper (from Hobby Lobby) to create a floor.
Would love to see some more detail of how you did this, plus how you glued the new knot in place

Awesome work. I especially love that green colour in that brush. It's kind of very modern but also very classic!

I immersed the empty handle in the solution. Since then I have purchased a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner and would probably use that today. I have only run into such an odor twice and on the other one I didn't do enough to clean it up before installing the knot and it always had that stink, although it did diminish over time, but never completely went away. This sort of cleaning is not usually needed.

If you have access to wine bottle corks that would probably work well too. Cut the cork to the length needed to extend from the inside bottom of the handle to where you want to mount the knot. Epoxy the cork to the inside bottom. Epoxy the knot to the top of the cork.

My only concern is that with the knot removed, there is some stink coming from the hole.
That's what she said
I ran into this on another old restore a few years ago and the stink never went away. It was worse when wet. Any suggestions on getting rid of it would be helpful. I'll delay reknotting it until it is remedied. I'm thinking of a 24 mm Finest or Silvertip.
Try cleaning it in a warm baking soda solution. Get it submerged and have a brush or cloth you can get to all nooks and cranny's.
Baking soda is great for neutralizing odors.

Top Bottom