What's new

New product ideas - where do they come from?

It comes down to doing one thing: listen.

This is not true for all products, of course, but some. Here are examples that I thought would be interesting.

1. We had released our Bay Rum which was our first product. Customers loved it but I would get feedback on occasion, "Hey, can you modify it a little so it has more burn to it? I love having a good burn to my aftershave!" This went on here and there and I just had one thought: "Well, I am not going to mess with a successful formula... Maybe I will come out with a second one that is all about the burn." That is what led to our second most popular product right here:

IMG_4498.jpg

2. We had aftershaves in Bay Rum, Cat O' Nine, and Lime. I wanted to start work on another aftershave but was not sure which scent. So I did some market research by asking and listening. I went to two retail locations of the chain, Art of Shaving. I browsed around a bit and then asked this question: "Forget product popularity - when you only consider scent, which scent is the most popular?" In the case of both locations the response was the same. "Oh it is not even close, Sandalwood is far and away the most popular scent." And so, next up was this:
IMG_4499.jpg

3. Our ceramic lather bowls had been a hit for some time and yet once in a while I would hear back from a customer, thus: "My cat knocked it off the counter / the cleaning lady dropped it / my three-year-old was playing with it... have you ever thought about making an unbreakable lather bowl?" I passed this off for a couple of years and then started mulling it over. "Unbreakable but it needs to fit with the vibe of our brand, hmmm." Plastic was out, stainless steel was out, wood does not like getting wet every day - what would be oh so right? I recalled seeing a Turkish copper cup that some guys used for shaving. The process began and took six months but we ended up with an entire line of copper lather bowls and customers have responded. So much so that I have emails describing the tug-of-war that ensued with their Better Half when the box was opened. "I want to put poupori in it! That is a nice accent piece for the living room! Can I put my car keys in it by the front door?" And so we now have this:

IMG_6155.jpg

I saw in online stores that high end soap makers have custom ceramic containers that their product is retailed in. When the soap is gone you can get refills to put back into the treasured ceramic container. The idea is that it is more than something to hold the soap, it is a presentation piece that enhances any shave den. Customers clearly loved the opportunity to upgrade the look beyond a plastic soap container. So we brought out what we dubbed a Soap Locker in our most popular color, Gunmetal. Often I read about guys "chasing" the soap around the bottom to load their brush so we added prongs in the bottom that the soap puck is impaled on for easier loading.

IMG_7472.jpg

Especially during the holiday season we would get inquiries from ladies seeking feedback on what they should get for the man in their life. A family member with many years in retail assisted on this one. She said that for birthdays, Valentine's Day, Christmas, anniversaries, etc. the recipient is a guy but the customer is a lady. Ladies just want to make the purchase, not learn all about a whole category of products that they are not that interested in. Make it easy I was told. Have gift sets with no choices. So we added four different Gift Sets and they are a real time saver for customers.
IMG_6956.jpg

This last one did not involve me listening as much as it did ruminating on who my customers are. "What else does a guy need or want that ties into our brand?" I kicked the idea of a mug around but it needed to be distinctly nautical and I was not sure what that would look like. After several prototypes and half starts we came up with a real winner. Mind you, nobody comes to our site looking for a coffee mug but once they see it - well, it is game over!

IMG_7527.jpg

I hope that gives you some insight on how products end up being developed and released. I will say this: For every product in our store today there are twice as many that were failures. So don't get the impression that we whip something up and customers hand over the cash. It is far from that, believe me! Generally a new items fails, that is normal. But if you keep at it long enough one will stick and then another. Eventually after spending a lot of time and effort and money you end up with a store. Even then that store will have items that need to be closed out as we are doing presently with our line of shave balms. Slow and gradual change is normal plus it keeps things fresh and interesting for the customer!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It comes down to doing one thing: listen.

This is not true for all products, of course, but some. Here are examples that I thought would be interesting.

1. We had released our Bay Rum which was our first product. Customers loved it but I would get feedback on occasion, "Hey, can you modify it a little so it has more burn to it? I love having a good burn to my aftershave!" This went on here and there and I just had one thought: "Well, I am not going to mess with a successful formula... Maybe I will come out with a second one that is all about the burn." That is what led to our second most popular product right here:

View attachment 1534578

2. We had aftershaves in Bay Rum, Cat O' Nine, and Lime. I wanted to start work on another aftershave but was not sure which scent. So I did some market research by asking and listening. I went to two retail locations of the chain, Art of Shaving. I browsed around a bit and then asked this question: "Forget product popularity - when you only consider scent, which scent is the most popular?" In the case of both locations the response was the same. "Oh it is not even close, Sandalwood is far and away the most popular scent." And so, next up was this:
View attachment 1534583

3. Our ceramic lather bowls had been a hit for some time and yet once in a while I would hear back from a customer, thus: "My cat knocked it off the counter / the cleaning lady dropped it / my three-year-old was playing with it... have you ever thought about making an unbreakable lather bowl?" I passed this off for a couple of years and then started mulling it over. "Unbreakable but it needs to fit with the vibe of our brand, hmmm." Plastic was out, stainless steel was out, wood does not like getting wet every day - what would be oh so right? I recalled seeing a Turkish copper cup that some guys used for shaving. The process began and took six months but we ended up with an entire line of copper lather bowls and customers have responded. So much so that I have emails describing the tug-of-war that ensued with their Better Half when the box was opened. "I want to put poupori in it! That is a nice accent piece for the living room! Can I put my car keys in it by the front door?" And so we now have this:

View attachment 1534587

I saw in online stores that high end soap makers have custom ceramic containers that their product is retailed in. When the soap is gone you can get refills to put back into the treasured ceramic container. The idea is that it is more than something to hold the soap, it is a presentation piece that enhances any shave den. Customers clearly loved the opportunity to upgrade the look beyond a plastic soap container. So we brought out what we dubbed a Soap Locker in our most popular color, Gunmetal. Often I read about guys "chasing" the soap around the bottom to load their brush so we added prongs in the bottom that the soap is impaled on for easier loading.

View attachment 1534590

Especially during the holiday season we would get inquiries from ladies seeking feedback on what they should get for the man in their life. A family member with many years in retail assisted on this one. She said that for birthdays, Valentine's Day, Christmas, anniversaries, etc. the recipient is a guy but the customer is a lady. Ladies just want to make the purchase, not learn all about a whole category of products that they are not that interested in. Make it easy I was told. Have gift sets with no choices. So we added four different Gift Sets and they are a real time saver for customers.
View attachment 1534596

This last one did not involve me listening as much as it did ruminating on who my customers are. "What else does a guy need or want that ties into our brand?" I kicked the idea of a mug around but it needed to be distinctly nautical and I was not sure what that would look like. After several prototypes and half starts we came up with a real winner. Mind you, nobody comes to our site looking for a coffee mug but once they see it - well, they do their best to resist!

View attachment 1534603

I hope that gives you some insight on how products end up being developed and released. I will say this: For every product in our store today there are twice as many that were failures. So don't get the impression that we whip something up and customers hand over the cash. It is far from that, believe me! Generally a new items fails, that is normal. But if you keep at it long enough one will stick and then another. Eventually after spending a lot of time and effort and money you end up with a store. And, in time, that store will have items that need to be closed out as we are doing presently with our line of shave balms. This is normal and we embrace it!
I thoroughly enjoyed this post, Scott. A bit of history about some of your top products. As you know, I just ordered my third heavy copper bowl from you. I have two Aquamarine bowls that are used for car keys (mine) and the other one, my wife "appropriated" for the new TV room she designed. This "plain" heavy weight copper bowl will actually be used to make lather.

This was great and it's nice to see that you listen to concerns of the customers.

I buy quite a bit of shaving gear from mom and pop sellers on Ebay or other sites. I always ask questions about their products- and if they're soap makers- ask about custom orders that I may be interested in. One seller I bought from recently was fantastic. They were selling soap on Ebay but the scent didn't appeal to me and they only had one option. They were making cold process soaps so it wasn't as simple as melting down a glycerin soap and adding another scent. I asked about an unscented product and told them I like olive oil based soaps because it keeps my eczema at bay. Immediately they responded and said we can make that no problem. Over other emails, they explained to me that since this was a custom order, I would need to let the soap cure for 2-3 weeks after receiving it and gave me a few other tips to make sure I was satisfied with the order. They charged me what the original listing was (3 soaps for $12 shipped), then said that the special order made 4 pucks so they gave me the other one for free and then sent along a sample of homemade Pine Tar soap to try. I was floored by how great they were to work with over a lousy $12 order that they had to pay shipping on. The soaps came, looked great and are sitting in my bedroom to cure. Can't wait to try it out and they have a customer for as long as they're in business.

On the flip side, I did the same thing with a seller of shaving soaps that gets a little bit of press around here. I was told plainly "what you see is what you get and we have no interest in making an unscented soap". Ok, good for ya. Somebody else will.

Captain, thank you for all you do for the guys here and being active on this forum. That means a lot to me. That copper bowl looks great too. I may have to check that out pretty soon. Maybe my wife can get the hint that Christmas is coming up...;)

I absolutely love CatO' Nine Tails. It is a an all time favorite. My only issue is that I like colognes and rarely use aftershaves (though I do use yours, because they are that good). I just wish the scent lasted for hours. Your sandlewood is also really nice, and I love it in the shave soap. I purchased the copper bowl for the same reason, I didn't want to worry about breaking it. It hasn't been used in months, since I now have your ceramic bowl. The copper does a great job, but the ceramic is so good that I will order another if I ever break it. I might have to PIF the copper, since I don't want it to sit unused. I have a lot of respect for you and try to support your business when I can. Unfortunately, there are only so many shaving related items that I need.

Unfortunately, there are only so many shaving related items that I need.
Ah Chris, that is but one reason to patronize your favorite enabler.

But there is more, so much more: load up on our items to give to others! Give our Cat O' Nine Tails to the brother-in-law that rubs people the wrong way. Watch in delight along with the rest of the family as The Cat lights him up! :bayrum2:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It's no wonder your products are so well thought of, Scott. Rather than trying to come up with ideas as to what new things you THINK customers might want, you put in the time to thoroughly research stuff about what they ACTUALLY want and remove most of the guesswork (i.e. business risk) from the equation.

@Captain Pre-Capsize

Scott! Are you listening?? :lol:
Good news for @SP120K and @FarmerTan - we do have Land Ho in our soap. Whenever we close out an item it is no longer in the store. But I do pull from inventory some and set it aside since customers will ask about it later on. So step right up! If you want a tub of the Land Ho soap just PM me here and I'll show you how to go about buying yourself one of the very last few. There might be six or so left.

Good news for @SP120K and @FarmerTan - we do have Land Ho in our soap. Whenever we close out an item it is no longer in the store. But I do pull from inventory some and set it aside since customers will ask about it later on. So step right up! If you want a tub of the Land Ho soap just PM me here and I'll show you how to go about buying yourself one of the very last few. There might be six or so left.
I can attest that the soap smells even dreamier than the splash does...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Captain might have some unscented soaps around as well.... I just acquired two of them recently. You never know.

Like Bay Rum soap and AS, but don't care for Co9T at all. I really like the smell of Nor' Easter and would really like a cologne in that scent, only have it in the AS, someday I will get the cream. My favorite is Venture scent, have the soap and AS. Lime is good. North was another scent and had given half away for a coworker to try right after it was discontinued. Had to keep some of it even though I rarely used it. I want to try some of your newer scents but am currently trying to use up the soap/cream supply I already have.

Keep up the good work and thanks for what you have done so far.

Personally, I love the nautical theme. My living room walls are filled with tall ship paintings and antique clocks.

Nor'easter is hands down my wife's favorite aftershave. Menthol is, um, not my favorite category of scents. Give me the sweet spicy burn of Co9T any day! But her favorite is Nor'easter, which means I'll be buying Nor'easter as long as you have it for sale. That's not really a bad thing. I'm there anyways getting Venture and bay rum.

One day in the near future I hope the last of my small children will be big enough to put nice things out. I love those copper bowls. Right now what's keeping them from my coffee table is that I'm worried they'll get colorful due to a very precocious 5 year old daughter.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Personally, I love the nautical theme. My living room walls are filled with tall ship paintings and antique clocks.

Nor'easter is hands down my wife's favorite aftershave. Menthol is, um, not my favorite category of scents. Give me the sweet spicy burn of Co9T any day! But her favorite is Nor'easter, which means I'll be buying Nor'easter as long as you have it for sale. That's not really a bad thing. I'm there anyways getting Venture and bay rum.

One day in the near future I hope the last of my small children will be big enough to put nice things out. I love those copper bowls. Right now what's keeping them from my coffee table is that I'm worried they'll get colorful due to a very precocious 5 year old daughter.
You sound like a wonderful father. Precocious is Precious to me!

My precious only begotten son is 22 now and married to my precious dtr. in law.... The time it does fly!

Top Bottom