What's new

New Pro Professional Steel Pan...to season or not

I recently purchased my first Steel Pan. The insert on the pan states it’s “Pre-seasoned”. However the tag attached to the handle indicates I need to season the pan to build a layer a layer of Patina to provide a non-stick surface. Do I follow the instructions on the hanging tag or the comments on the pan’ insert? Please help I don’t want to screw this up on my first time using it. Thanks!

If it is a black steel pan, just cook some bacon in it (after washing the pan thoroughly).

3-4 pieces at a time, 3-4 batches.

Bacon fixes everything

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Which brand?

Carbon steel pans get better the more you cook with them. They develop a non stick like carbon coating after time. The initial seasoning process is a good starting point but not the end result.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There are no miracles. A big lesson not really discussed too much is learning how to cook things at the right temperature.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yes. Season. You can even do a 'quick season'. Apply a thin coat of your favorite high-smoke-temp oil. Wipe it almost dry. Turn your vent fan on high. Bring the pan temp up to the smoke point of the oil, let it smoke for 30 seconds, and then kill the heat. Voila, seasoned!

I even season my stainless AllClad skillets.

Lodge brand skillets are fairly coarse.. I recommend sanding them down first, then washing, then like the first guy said, cooking bacon. Good for years.

Just because they put a layer of seasoning on it, doesn't mean that it's seasoned fully. they never make that part clear. The more you use it, the better it will work.

There are multiple means of seasoning it, my preferred for carbon steel is to turn the pan on medium heat, and wipe a thin layer of oil onto it (oil on paper towels pinched in tongs) and then watch it burn off. A couple layers should be a good start. The act of the oil burning solidifies (polymerization) into a solid nonstick layer which we call seasoning. The only oil i would completely stay away from is avocado, because it's smoke point is so high, and it makes a very weak flaky seasoning that doesn't stay attached. If you're interested in my go to Cast Iron method it's essentially this ( Finally! The Science Behind Seasoning Cast Iron & The Best Oil To Use ). it might help you understand why seasoning work the way it does...it helped me a lot when i first got into cast iron.

Carbon steel is very similar to cast iron if you've used that. The pan will reach much higher temperatures on the same setting as a stainless steel or teflon pan will. this is because carbon steel and cast iron hold onto the heat, while the others easily release it. This is important for two reasons. 1) When cooking with carbon steel it will take probably a minimum of 5 minutes for the pan to reach proper temperatures. If the pan isn't fully warm stuff will stick to the surface and pull off the seasoning unless it's a very mature seasoning. 2) if you just turn the pan to your normal "egg frying temp" that you use with your teflon/stainless steel then the carbon steel pan will become quite warm...it may take a little time to adjust to this when cooking.

Just because they put a layer of seasoning on it, doesn't mean that it's seasoned fully. they never make that part clear. The more you use it, the better it will work.

There are multiple means of seasoning it, my preferred for carbon steel is to turn the pan on medium heat, and wipe a thin layer of oil onto it (oil on paper towels pinched in tongs) and then watch it burn off. A couple layers should be a good start. The act of the oil burning solidifies (polymerization) into a solid nonstick layer which we call seasoning. The only oil i would completely stay away from is avocado, because it's smoke point is so high, and it makes a very weak flaky seasoning that doesn't stay attached. If you're interested in my go to Cast Iron method it's essentially this ( Finally! The Science Behind Seasoning Cast Iron & The Best Oil To Use ). it might help you understand why seasoning work the way it does...it helped me a lot when i first got into cast iron.

Carbon steel is very similar to cast iron if you've used that. The pan will reach much higher temperatures on the same setting as a stainless steel or teflon pan will. this is because carbon steel and cast iron hold onto the heat, while the others easily release it. This is important for two reasons. 1) When cooking with carbon steel it will take probably a minimum of 5 minutes for the pan to reach proper temperatures. If the pan isn't fully warm stuff will stick to the surface and pull off the seasoning unless it's a very mature seasoning. 2) if you just turn the pan to your normal "egg frying temp" that you use with your teflon/stainless steel then the carbon steel pan will become quite warm...it may take a little time to adjust to this when cooking.

Thank you all very much these suggestions have been most helpful especially the article on Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My luck with flaxseed oil was mixed. One skillet did great. The other continually flaked the flaxseed seasoning off.

My luck with flaxseed oil was mixed. One skillet did great. The other continually flaked the flaxseed seasoning off.
I've heard mixed results, but all of my pans have came out great except when i do stove top method. The only thing that threw me is that the last time i seasoned pans i was out of flax oil...so i used butter. it came out just fine though!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've heard mixed results, but all of my pans have came out great except when i do stove top method. The only thing that threw me is that the last time i seasoned pans i was out of flax oil...so i used butter. it came out just fine though!

Unfortunately mine was the ultra time consuming 5 season and cool sessions method. The skillet that I thought did well may be starting to flake now, just haven't really used it enough to tell how well it is going to hold up. It looks nicer than lard or crisco seasonings but those two have performed for me for a long long time. I'm trying the Buzzy Wax now for touchups and it seems to be OK. Definitely smells better!

Top Bottom