What's new

New Pots and Pans

Re-doing our kitchen now. My initial suggestion did not go over well with the SWMBO.

I didn't want a cooktop. Just a slightly lower counter (baler's height) with 20A outlets in the back where we can plug in individual induction stoves, griddles, etc... basically re-configurable to whatever we are cooking for the day. Very rarely are we using more than 2 burners and on those busy holidays, we can relocate the stoves to spread out. IMO, it would have been far more functional but it my wife wouldn't have it.

I must admit I am not that surprised, but there is a high end version of your idea I think I saw a nytimes article (and we had this conversation as well, whether to go your route (my wife is an architect)) and regain valuable counter top space (we have an older house). I could not find that nytimes article but hunting around a bit I found this:

I think in practice though that its going to get lots of negative feedback because a regular cooktop is expected in kitchens and anyone wanting to buy your house in the future will likely negatively react. I do love the idea though!

I too would seek out the thoroughly reconfigurable heating systems. I had a glass-covered 36-inch resistance element which cracked on one of the corners. (Great recommendation to direct replace it, right?) I wanted gas to provide fine control of my cooking heat under 5 stations or 3 and a grill/griddle. Had the gas plumbed in and the bare electrical leads secured & opened the circuit breakers. I figure I'll keep up with that system until I'm at the age I can't trust my memory and then I'd go to a pure induction cooktop. They have gotten far better over the past decade and much less expensive too.

Yet, I've got two single station countertop induction pads and the Control Freak. I find the simpler designs work great for boiling and rough control which with constant attention work good. The Control Freak on the other hand I can work directly with it for anything from single degree control to leaving it for hours simmering a sauce or running a dutch oven.

If I redesigned the kitchen today I would have durable countertops with multiple 20 amp circuits for induction pads, food prep, and countertop rice cookers, breadmakers, sous vide stations. At the center of the area would be a pedestal with a monster commercial single gas burner just above waist height which could run a large wok or, replacing the sunken ring with a grate, quickly bring to boil 2 gallons of water effortlessly. Some of the best will even allow fine control of a small flame under a 1-quart saucier. (but so will the Control Freak). The microwave, convection, double broiler/baking oven round out everything and god help me I might still have space for storage of the pots, pans, bakeware, tools, and dinnerware. Give me a pantry the size of my dining room and I'm set!

Maybe we should have another discussion on kitchen design and equipment but to get back on topic....

If I were to buy new pots and pans, I would absolutely make sure that they can be used on ALL types of cooktops, heat sources... After years and thousands spent on pots and pans, many which have retired to the basement, we've settled on the following.

Carbon steel skillets of various sizes
Enameled dutch ovens
Stainless sauce pans
Stainless stock pots

No need to have a matching set. The stainless should be high quality tri-ply or other that'll work with induction.

What's missing? Well.... at the risk of B&B sacrilege... cast iron skillets. I was a fan for years until I discovered carbon steel. Lighter, better heat control, goes from range to oven, and seasons just like cast iron. My go to these days is a restaurant supply $12 no name carbon steel skillet. If one does use induction with carbon steel though... the cooktop has to be high quality for even heat.

My advice is skip the big fancy sets where everything matches. Pots and accessories you won't use are just clutter. Buy individual pots to suit the way you cook. My most used pots are two high quality stainless steel pressure cookers of smaller and larger size with additional glass lids so they can double as saucepans. Also have a carbon steel wok, a couple of cast iron skillets and a cheap stockpot. Everything will work with induction.

Here's a picture from a restaurant in Brooklyn:

1605289564451.png

Last edited:
Hoping to get some help here. I'm looking to replace my old pots and pans. I'd like to get good quality stainless steel, stuff that will last for a long, long time. I've heard that one can go to a restaurant supply store and buy there. Can just anyone go? How would I go about finding a store near me - Google? What should I expect to pay? Thanks.

I got a semi decent set as a wedding gift, but over the years, like most have already mentioned, the pots that weren't that useful (who really uses a 7" stainless steel skillet?) just sort of fell by the wayside. It is a little more expensive in to buy piece by piece, but you end up with the pieces you actually know you will use. Stainless steel looks nice when it's clean, but it can be a bit of a pain to keep that way.

Some pieces I like to have a really nice one, like I just bought a Mauviel saucier pan which set me back a few pennies. But a large spaghetti stock pot, I really don't see the need for the top of the line super polished 5 ply whatever. I have a large carbon steel skillet and a matfer nonstick pan just for omlettes, an enameled cast iron dutch oven... I'm kinda all over the place.

But anyway, having done all that online searching for pots and pans, my facebook feed won't stop trying to sell me on a set of Sardel pans. I have to say, they do look pretty damn nice and useful. I guess it depends on what you tend to cook, or if you even cook that much at all, and just want a nice set so that you can start getting into cooking.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Keep in mind if an induction cooktop is in your future, stainless steel won't work.

I'm mesmerized by this thing:

I noted on the Misen website they say their pans are compatible with induction. Their prices look better than a lot of others, too. I think I am going to pull the trigger on their rondeau.

Stainless does work, it is alumininum that wont, it has to be magnetic to work.
I use farberware stainless on mine and works.
Something to consider is make sure you plan to use the features your buying.
I bought my induction stove for the induction top, and will hopefully never have to go back.
It came with convection , used rarely, has temp probe use occaisionally, and a large oven, top /bottom heating.
Of course there 2 of us and I do the cooking,(mostly)
Once you dial in induction to the pans your using, its great, power boil water in a minute, simmer without worrying about burning,
same food, same setting, same pan, no fussing araound.

bought a 4 quart pan at a restaurant supply house in Eugene, or. heats up faster than anything i have owned in 70 years. looks average with a nonstick inside but damn i love it 15 years later

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Keep an eye out in the thrift stores for the nice Emeril stainless.

Not many folks know that it's made by All-Clad (in China) and you can often pick them up on the cheap.

Keep an eye out in the thrift stores for the nice Emeril stainless.

Not many folks know that it's made by All-Clad (in China) and you can often pick them up on the cheap.
We have a set of Emeril stainless that we ordered from Amazon. We also have a set of Circulon and we use each set depending on what we are cooking.

Over the last ten years or so, we have acquired a decent collection (not matching) of vintage European enameled cast iron, such as Descoware and Cousances. Great great stuff.

We got All Clad Copper Core last year. Great performance but roughly finished edges with rather awkward and uncomfortable handles. I think the Demeyere Atlantis would have been a better set.

The All Clads will probably last several lifetimes so no rush to replace them. I might give them to the kids one day.

Last edited:

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Got an All Clad D5 1.5 qt sauce pan & lid , 10" fry pan at goodwill $25 like new. Couldn't pass it up

My vote for All Clad. If not in a hurry start checking out estate sales. We picked up 6 pieces that had very little to no use for $15-$20 each.

We got All Clad Copper Core last year. Great performance but roughly finished edges with rather awkward and uncomfortable handles. I think the Demeyere Atlantis would have been a better set.

The All Clads will probably last several lifetimes so no rush to replace them. I might give them to the kids one day.

The old all clad handles were far worse - that said I know what you mean - I think weird/awkward handles are almost a cult all clad thing. I would have gone w/ the Atlantis as well (I love the no rivets on those) but the all clads are at the edge of heaviness for my wife so the demeyeres were well over the top.

Top Bottom