What's new

new "pet rocks" (coe whetstones)

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It would be interesting to know the SG (specific gravity) on these stones. That way they could be quantitatively compared to the 'regular' Arkansas stones.

UPDATE:
Wife had emergency at work 1:30am this morning. What better time to hone?? I lightly lapped the stone with the rubbing stone for about 5min if that, then went to dawn/water for 25 X strokes then proceeded to use Keith's Toma glide solution to finish..40-50 laps. BAM!!! HHT 4!!!. Linen and leather... shave in the morning. Not affiliated with Keith... his honing solution has been stealth. One spray goes a long way. Not sure what it is...cheap

Man I'm sorry..I re read that. It was jyst computers crashing...hacked. but thank you!!! Honed 2 more razors and finished on the grey on both and I am nowhere near a HHT 1.
Time for other projects. Let this rest. Thanks again, Greg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just got a 3x8 black trans Dota Creek fine stone. I really like the results I am getting using mineral oil. Puts an amazing edge on the razor. I am finding there is no need to use Chrox. Just strop and your ready to go.

What are you using before the dota creek.

So far I like it more than The grey polisher.

I’ve been using thinned mineral oil.... mostly water with some ballistol

I have a Zulu Grey, Dan's Black surgical, A convex translucent black stone and the dota creek. Jon recommended the black polisher stone and I'd put it up with the black translucent. Mastro Livi recommended using a "food grade mineral oil" and I find it works the best. I tried silicone and Balistol & water mix but the straight mineral really does the job. I no longer need Chrox. I can go from a coticule or Jnat to these stones then strop and get a really sharp, polished edge that shaves very smooth. I guess I can build a patio with the other stones I own.

I have nmbeen good results with the baby oil and mineral oil on the grey. Finicky is right.... you think you got it then bam!! Might get Dota if hes back up running. Greg B.

Just received my stone from Jon. He was down for health reasons but is up and in business. Said he updated his saw and the results are much better. Looking at another one from him for traveling.

Good to hear!!

How do you think edge compares to dans surgical black?

Is the black trans you have a traditional / dans stone. Is it from jarrod at TSS?

Greg... I was having consistency issues with grey, i’ll Get great edge of it just not consistently, I use it before the dota...
But haven’t given up on the gray.... I will figure it out!

Curious about how many laps before you get an edge you like on the Dota?

Did you finish your dota or did you get finished? Near shiny or shiny finish?

I’ve been experimenting with dry lapping on dota.... nothing conclusive yet

Good to hear Jon is up and well and cutting stones again.

There's no comparison ...Dan's is superior!! I have no Dota yet! Trying to get ahold of him through messenger...I don't do FB anymore , too many issues.
I wad loaned the Dota and really liked it , but I think I'm going to pass on getting that stone. Don't get me wrong , I like it but going a different route with set up.
Just sold a bunch of my synthetics and just keep a couple lower grits for bevel set. Jyst got my first jnat and revamping everything..keeping most Arks and Thuri's.
The grey is a finicky pretty b#tch that I don't have time for anymore. Inconsistent... some day very good...next day for chit! I've spent a lot of research on that stone in my lab (wifes kitchen table)
I have old Dan's and new , I cant tell a difference. 30-40 laps on grey. Good luck brother! Greg B.

I have a Dan's Surgical Black, A Jarrod translucent black and the Coe black finisher. Dan's is a really fine stone that takes forever to get to the point I feel the blade is finished. Jarrod's convex black worked pretty quick. I used food grade mineral oil and it took about 25-30 laps and the edge was exceptional. The Coe black came in lapped but I still used a old razor and lapped 100 time dry. The Coe is also producing some very good edges. Takes a little more lapping then Jarrods but much less then the Dan's. Dan's is like glass compared to Jarrod's and the Coe. I was working on shave ready razors and today used a old razor to see how good I could get a not shave ready on the Coe. Took about 100 laps but the edge came up to shave ready. I am planning on taking the edge down using a glass jar and then trying to bring the edge up with Jarrod's to see how many laps I need. I really like what I am getting with the natural stones over Chrox.

Top Bottom