What's new

New Parker Variant

I treated myself to a new Parker Variant during a black Friday sale. Received it yesterday and I'm ready to try it out with a Wilkinson Sword blade. It's a nice looking brush, but the head is much larger than expected. I've been using a '62 Gillette Slim and compared to the Variant the Slim looks sleek and beautiful. Now for performance, I'll know soon enough. It gets good reviews so I'm expecting it to perform. I'm wondering if the head is about the same size as a Fatboy? From the pictures I've seen it seems to resemble it.

I treated myself to a new Parker Variant during a black Friday sale. Received it yesterday and I'm ready to try it out with a Wilkinson Sword blade. It's a nice looking brush, but the head is much larger than expected. I've been using a '62 Gillette Slim and compared to the Variant the Slim looks sleek and beautiful. Now for performance, I'll know soon enough. It gets good reviews so I'm expecting it to perform. I'm wondering if the head is about the same size as a Fatboy? From the pictures I've seen it seems to resemble it.

Nice!! It is one of my favorites. With a GSB and the Variant on setting 3, it is a fantastic shaver. Report back with your experience!

Hope you enjoy the Variant, yes the head on it is clunky so under the nose hairs are tricky to get at.

Besides that i think it is a fantastic razor!.

Just used it with a Wilkinson Sword on setting 1. Very nice razor and a DFS! I thought I had it set on 2, but after shaving realized I had set it back to 1! But even so, three passes and a DFS with a German Wilkie is pretty good. The bulky head posed no problems at all for me. I usually go side to side under my nose anyway with all my razors. It will be fun to experiment with this razor. My favorite blades for all razors are the Personna Red and the Astra SPs, so lots of experiments ahead! I'm glad I ordered it, seems very well made indeed!

I picked up a Parker Variant over Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. It is my first adjustable razor, and likely my last.
Here are my comments.

1. The razor is HEAVY. I have very large hands and like heavy razors. The Variant is even heavier than the Muhle R41 Grande, the Parker 24C open comb, and the Parker 98R Ultra Heavyweight razor. If you prefer lighter razors, this one is definitely not for you.

2. Unlike the other razors mentioned, the Variant is not well balanced. The Variant is top heavy. You have to be very careful not to apply too much pressure while shaving, especially on higher settings.

3. My other razors have a bright chrome finish. The Variant has a a satin finish making it look more like some of the vintage Gillette nickel plated razors. Either finish is acceptable from an appearance standpoint, but only time will tell which holds up better.

4. As for settings, I started out using a Polsilver blade on setting "0" out of "5+1". The first shave was pretty harsh, but subsequent shaves indicated that it was due to the Polsilver on its first shave and not the razor. By the fourth shave, I was able to set the razor up to "5" and got an irritation free BBS shave. However, doing so requires using the right angle and minimal pressure.

BTW, I have a tough beard and sensitive skin, so it is unusual for me to even try for a BBS shave and it is unusual for me to get more than three shaves off a blade. Due to the harsh first shave with the Polsilver, I will try another type of blade next time.

Interested in this thread. I'm using a Futur clone right now and I've got no complaints on how it shaves, but like the look of the Variant.

BTW, I have a tough beard and sensitive skin, so it is unusual for me to even try for a BBS shave and it is unusual for me to get more than three shaves off a blade. Due to the harsh first shave with the Polsilver, I will try another type of blade next time.
I too have somewhat sensitive skin and tough beard and Polsilver works similarly for me. This razor loves sharp blades and feather are just sublime on No 2 click. But Polsilver settles in line quickly after first shave and I get very consistent 5 shaves out of it. On Voskhods i can dial up the aggressiveness to 5 and past. Gillette Blacks perform very well before they hit the wall on 5th shave for me.

I am a fan of Parker razors. The 24C is my go-to open comb. I started DE shaving with a 76R and I still get excellent shaves with it. The variant is well designed and feels like a well made tool. I like the feel of a heavier razor and the Variant is a heavy hitter. My first experience was replete with weepers and burn but it did not take long to get to crazy smooth shaves with no feedback from the alum block. Any blade I use seems better in the Variant. This one will be a classic.

@Chesty Also a big fan of the Variant!. How do you find the Parker 24c in comparison?, have yet to try a open comb. But I have a Fatip Piccolo due to arrive any day now.

I am a big fan of the 24C, used it this morning, in fact. It is a fairly heavy razor and very attractive, in my opinion. The handle has nice grip and is a good length for me. It is a razor that needs attention to angle, but no more so than any other. It takes a little different angle than others so there can be a learning curve. When I compare it to the New and the Tuckaway, I think it is a good example of how the tools have progressed. I enjoy both but would take the 24C if I had to choose. I find that I can get a very fine shave every time with no irritation. The 24C is one that I keep on my counter because I think it's also on of the better looking razors out there. As you explore the open comb world, I think is absolutely one to consider.

I've been using the Variant on setting 1.5 and getting very good results. This morning it was shave three with a Voskod and BBS after a 3 pass shave. BTW, I had two days growth and so far see no reason to make it more agressive, but of course I will be experimenting!

I got one for Christmas myself. Graphite handle, fancy! Haven't used it yet, just enjoying the fact hat I have one. Think I'll give her a go tomorrow.

Top Bottom