What's new

New Paladin brush, questions

So, I have several synthetic brushes (two 24mm Razorock, Simpson Trafalgar T1 and T3, Maggard 24mm Timberwolf), three Omega boar brushes (26mm 10049, 24mm 10290, 24mm 11574) a Semogue SOC Mistura, and my very first brush, a really cheap Amazon badger of unknown hair type.

I thought it was time to buy a quality badger brush, and I purchased this:

20220621_175721.jpg

Very excited when the brush arrived today. What a beauty. I couldn't wait to use it, and put the brush to work this evening. I figured I would start with MdC, as the soap seems to make tons of lather easily, with very little product.

Using my usual method with this soap, a scraped a bit from the jar and pressed it into the bottom of my lather bowl, dripped a bit of water onto it, and placed the brush into a mug of warm water. After about 15 minutes, I returned and whipped up an amazing lather, as expected.

What happened next was not expected:

As I splayed the brush on my face to scrub and apply the lather, the lather seemed to migrate towards the handle. The brush just did not want to release the lather. I had to scrape the sides of the brush on my bowl, and pick it up with the tips of the brush and apply it to my face, being mindful not to press the brush or splay it at all, or the lather would once again migrate towards the handle and ooze out at tha base of the knot.

My lather was not runny, or thin. I would describe it as perfectly creamy, the same consistency I would get with any of my other brushes - and had no problem with any of those brushes.

Needless to say, it was frustrating as I attempted to transfer the lather from brush to face, as I wiped the brush on the edges of my jaw and chin, from the handle to the tips, just to get some lather onto my face.

I've never had this happen with any of my other brushes. All give up the lather freely, while the Paladin hangs on to it like grim death.

So, let me have it. What did I do wrong?

Reactions: Kix
Help?...please?

Brutal honesty welcome and encouraged.

I want to love this brush, but need to know what I may be doing wrong. I imagine I'll figure it out through use, but I'm looking for the short route to success.

Reactions: Kix
What I did:
Load normally, swirl in bowl for a minute, squeeze out all soap from brush and wipe hand on bowl, few drops water on brush and load again. Now work the bowl and only add several drops of water maybe twice and see what lather you get after a couple of minutes. I tried this a bunch of times with my Grizzly silvertip 2-band and learned pretty quickly how off I was and which path to choose….more soap, more water or more patience and usually all three. Humbled I am constantly after wet shaving for 10 plus years with irritation and no fun. I appreciate this place immensely and I can’t wait to shave again tomorrow. Best of luck to you sir!

What I did:
Load normally, swirl in bowl for a minute, squeeze out all soap from brush and wipe hand on bowl, few drops water on brush and load again. Now work the bowl and only add several drops of water maybe twice and see what lather you get after a couple of minutes. I tried this a bunch of times with my Grizzly silvertip 2-band and learned pretty quickly how off I was and which path to choose….more soap, more water or more patience and usually all three. Humbled I am constantly after wet shaving for 10 plus years with irritation and no fun. I appreciate this place immensely and I can’t wait to shave again tomorrow. Best of luck to you sir!

Thank you.

I admit that much of the trouble I get into is self-inflicted, which is why I too am grateful to have so many experienced members here willing to help.

Thanks for the added link. The consensus seems to be that using more soap can help with a lather hog, so that will be my first "experiment".
My pleasure. :cornut:

Experimentation is always highly recommended (in my book anyway).

Bear in mind that all good brushes improve with use. Here's my all time favorite lather monster (which just completed its 108th shave):

Shavemac-20-46-Silvertip-2-Band-Pu_2022-03-09.jpg

It's been a long learning curve for me, but after much study and experimentation (not to mention brushes)... I got the hair, shape, and dimensions just right for this baby. (I prefer small brushes.)

CUSTOM SPECIFICATION:
Hair:
Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band
Shape: Fan
Knot: 20mm
Loft: 46mm
Handle shape: #120

It has excellent backbone and scrub, with soft tips, and (as mentioned above) is a lather monster. The journey was well worth it.

Of course we all use our brushes in different ways.

Personally, I splash a fingers and thumb grab of warm water (from the sink) onto my soap puck; soak the brush (with warm water to halfway up the knot) for 30 seconds, then squeeze it, then shake it out, so it's just damp; load for three seconds then face lather. I'll carefully dunk the brush in the sink water to get the lather consistency just right (probably a total of three times during the shave). That gives me ample excellent lather for three passes.

The above is just for context. Please accept my apologies if it's TMI. :blushing:

My pleasure. :cornut:

Experimentation is always highly recommended (in my book anyway).

Bear in mind that all good brushes improve with use. Here's my all time favorite lather monster (which just completed its 108th shave):

View attachment 1476163

It's been a long learning curve for me, but after much study and experimentation (not to mention brushes)... I got the hair, shape, and dimensions just right for this baby. (I prefer small brushes.)

CUSTOM SPECIFICATION:
Hair:
Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band
Shape: Fan
Knot: 20mm
Loft: 46mm
Handle shape: #120

It has excellent backbone and scrub, with soft tips, and (as mentioned above) is a lather monster. The journey was well worth it.

Of course we all use our brushes in different ways.

Personally, I splash a fingers and thumb grab of warm water (from the sink) onto my soap puck; soak the brush (with warm water to halfway up the knot) for 30 seconds, then squeeze it, then shake it out, so it's just damp; load for three seconds then face lather. I'll carefully dunk the brush in the sink water to get the lather consistency just right (probably a total of three times during the shave). That gives me ample excellent lather for three passes.

The above is just for context. Please accept my apologies if it's TMI. :blushing:

Nope, all information is always appreciated.

I'm a long way from giving up. Just need some things to focus on first to make it work Looks like I need to adjust my soap/water ratio with this brush. I just wasn't expecting any issues.

...and that's a beautiful brush. 🙂

Take your time & enjoy! As already stated, it takes time to break the brush in. Use plenty of soap, but be sure to thoroughly rinse the soap out when cleaning up at the end. Give the brush 10 shaves, then see how you like it.

And congratulations on the brush!

Very encouraging - and thank you. 🙂

One additional factor you might consider - try to use brush-stoke motions to apply lather instead of circular movements. If you press hard enough to splay the knot beyond 50% of the loft length, the probability of pushing the lather towards the handle will be high.

One additional factor you might consider - try to use brush-stoke motions to apply lather instead of circular movements. If you press hard enough to splay the knot beyond 50% of the loft length, the probability of pushing the lather towards the handle will be high.
Good point and very logical.

You're not doing anything wrong at all. High-end badgers hog up soap-it's what they do. I am currently going through the same thing w/ my Simpson's Chubby 2 Super Badger. I know it will eventually get there, so I'm enjoying the journey. Your Paladin will get there - it's a great badger brush and you will truly see the difference between badgers and synths. Once your Paladin has broken in, it will not only release the lather but also retain the heat (or cold) from the water you use for a luxurious shave.

marty

Been a while, and no real update.

I am encouraged by all of the positive messages here, but I haven't really done my part - basically the brush has been sitting, though after rereading this thread and seeing a few new responses, I am motivated to action!

I will use the brush exclusively for the next few weeks, to break it in and try some different soap/water ratios. I will get it right - this brush is just too nice to sit.

Thanks again. 🙂

Top Bottom