What's new

New paddle holster

I had to get rid of my Blackhawk Serpa holster for my trusty SR9. I only wore it in the woods, but I do spend a lot of time there. Anyhow, the active retention button seems to cause issues and can even result in a man mistakenly poking new holes in his own ham, as was illustrated with a video someone posted here.

I bought a paddle holster from Alien Gear. It is not nice leather, but I tend to do a lot of outdoor work in the rain, dirt and snow. I figured kydex is up to that task.

38078661-B19A-493D-BD20-6E943C83F598.jpeg
60793654-C9A8-43FD-A3B4-CABEBA966263.jpeg

I just finished adjusting the cant and the retention. It is quite comfortable, very secure and quite ugly! Anyone have experience with this holster?

Good choice. I like Kydex and my Crossbreed hybrid. Leather is nice to behold and smells so sweet, but it does attract and hold grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have several but find them too bulky and fat. I pretty much have written Alien Gear off.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Can it be worn with the paddle and without Brian? Am I the only one, who thinks the paddle in the shape of an Alien's head is freaking cool!??? :)

Can it be worn with the paddle and without Brian? Am I the only one, who thinks the paddle in the shape of an Alien's head is freaking cool!??? :)

Not many votes in yet, Rob, but I'm thinking you're the only one....:wink2:

I'm with jar_; I wrote Alien Gear off right away. But, if it works... hey:thumbup:. I like Vedder; pics to follow tomorrow.

Don

OkieStubble

I'm with jar_; I wrote Alien Gear off right away. But, if it works... hey:thumbup:. I like Vedder; pics to follow tomorrow.

Don

I have no experience with Alien products, but I think what @Bhugo is looking for and needs might be a bit different then the typical concealed. This is why I asked him what is the type of job he is doing. If he's in the woods alot as he suggested, then his work details some physical labor. This tells me, he doesn't need the deep concealment that many look for. His needs will be to keep his weapon, clean, dry and secure, but since he's in the woods in the middle of nowhere, he doesn't mind not having deep concealment, but still wants it to be comfortable and secure while he's working. I think the Alien probably will provide this and it being a paddle with a quick on and off is just another perk.

Regardless if it works for you or not, you don't think the Alien looking paddle is cool looking? :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yes, it comes with a belt backing as well as paddle.

Mine with the Colt 1903 shell.
proxy.php

Yes, like @jar_ mentioned, it has a belt backing. You are correct that it is not for concealing. It sticks out way too far and the sr9 is way too big for me to conceal. It is my favorite pistol though. I need pure comfort and functionality. I also like the ability to remove it easily and put it back on if I have to deal with folks that might be sensitive to a big pistol on my belt. I’ll see how this works over the next year.

This is strictly for when I’m working my fathers tree farm and nursery. It’s mostly seasonal and part time. I do a lot of work helping folks create better deer habitat and also a lot of hunting and trapping in my spare time. I ride a lot of ATV’s and do a ton of physical work during the day. My full time office job, which I also love, is a whole different story. No carrying there. I have iwb and pocket holsters for everyday concealed carry.

Don
I do have a clinger v3 stingray for my Kahr CW9. It is similar to the vedder iwb. I was looking at both. They look similar.

Good choice. I like Kydex and my Crossbreed hybrid. Leather is nice to behold and smells so sweet, but it does attract and hold grit.

Yes, my old leather holster for my 22 pistol is just destroyed from my abuse. I love leather and some of the boys on here have holsters that are works of art. I’d be scared to wear them outside working. I like the looks of the crossbreed hybrid holsters.

If the Alien Gear works for you, Brian, that's great. An Alien Gear was my first holster, and to me it was over engineered and needed way too much to hold a PPS M2 IWB. I still have it; it's just not being used.

Funny, but I got an e-mail from Alien Gear shortly after I made my first post in this thread, and I went to their site. To me, it looks like they've been working on their designs. I was intrigued by the chest rig they had. The stuff looks like it has been getting more compact.

Vedder makes a paddle holster: ProDraw™ Paddle OWB - https://www.vedderholsters.com/prodraw/. You can get it for the SR9, too. Using the wraparound kydex design helps to keep the holster smaller. Looks like Alien Gear is still using a pressed flat sheet screwed to another flat sheet; that's what I think makes it big. I use the Light Tuck, and I can even carry a full size P99 IWB with it.

Regardless if it works for you or not, you don't think the Alien looking paddle is cool looking? :)

Hummm... I dunno. There's a "big ness" to it that seems unnecessary. Remember, I'm just a single vote. We'll have to wait for more returns!

Don

OkieStubble

If the Alien Gear works for you, Brian, that's great. An Alien Gear was my first holster, and to me it was over engineered and needed way too much to hold a PPS M2 IWB. I still have it; it's just not being used.

Funny, but I got an e-mail from Alien Gear shortly after I made my first post in this thread, and I went to their site. To me, it looks like they've been working on their designs. I was intrigued by the chest rig they had. The stuff looks like it has been getting more compact.

Vedder makes a paddle holster: ProDraw™ Paddle OWB - https://www.vedderholsters.com/prodraw/. You can get it for the SR9, too. Using the wraparound kydex design helps to keep the holster smaller. Looks like Alien Gear is still using a pressed flat sheet screwed to another flat sheet; that's what I think makes it big. I use the Light Tuck, and I can even carry a full size P99 IWB with it.

Hummm... I dunno. There's a "big ness" to it that seems unnecessary. Remember, I'm just a single vote. We'll have to wait for more returns!

Don

I'd probably do Vedder before Alien myself. My wife carries her G43 in a StealthGear AIWB. I'm all about minimalism when carrying, it's why I am the only one I know who likes Uncle Mike's.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I do like paddle holsters and have quite a few of them in leather, kydex and other stuff. For small, sitting close to the body and model specific ones in other stuff (some kind of plastic) I really tend to stick with Fobus. Yes, they are inexpensive. Yes, they are not level three retention or super fancy; but they do work, are light and fairly easy to conceal.

Don
That Vedder paddle looks nice. You are correct about the pice of spring steel screwed down behind the gun to give it retention. The only issue I have with wraparound kydex is the way the retention works. Since I am crawling around at odd angles a lot and riding atvs, I want something with a lot of retention. That is why I had the Blackhawk with active retention. Whenever I try a wraparound and adjust the retention to the point that I feel good about it for outdoor work it is too hard to draw, especially with the paddle attachment. I talked with a couple people who mentioned that this had a lot of retention but drew differently than the wraparound. I’ll keep that vedder in mind if this one doesn’t work out.

You mentioned you had an alien gear holster. Did the flat spring steel piece change as you used it? That is my big worry with this holster.

That Vedder paddle looks nice. You are correct about the pice of spring steel screwed down behind the gun to give it retention. The only issue I have with wraparound kydex is the way the retention works. Since I am crawling around at odd angles a lot and riding atvs, I want something with a lot of retention. That is why I had the Blackhawk with active retention. Whenever I try a wraparound and adjust the retention to the point that I feel good about it for outdoor work it is too hard to draw, especially with the paddle attachment. I talked with a couple people who mentioned that this had a lot of retention but drew differently than the wraparound. I’ll keep that vedder in mind if this one doesn’t work out.

You mentioned you had an alien gear holster. Did the flat spring steel piece change as you used it? That is my big worry with this holster.

That’s what I like about the Crossbreed Super Tuck. Aside from it being insanely comfortable, I have to give the pistol a good tug to draw it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That Alien Gear is just Fugly to me and I don't want no Alien's head in my pants! The Vedder Pro Draw looks perfect to me, though I have no experience with it. I've had a couple of paddle holsters, they certainly serve a purpose, but are not my favorite method of carry. My Bladetec is very serviceable and lacks any unnecessary bulk or clutter. But it still moves around on the belt and doesn't hug the body as well as I would like. Works fine for a range holster.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was told the AG holsters break a lot, but they have many products... And the guy saying made holsters ... I have two, no problems but admittedly low use.

AA

Top Bottom