What's new

NEW Original 1932 Floid The Genuine!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For me, they are in the same house, but distinctly different. The sage and lavender is missing from clubman. This smells a little more upscale to me.

I do agree with my friend Phil and add that the "upscale" concept in Floid also applies to its wonderful final face feel.

How is the longevity?

So this version is more similar to Clubman than it is to Vigoroso? How close is it to the Genuine version?

I don't know if want to pick this one up since I already have a big bottle of Clubman and I don't need another (bigger) bottle of that scent.

Your smeller may vary, but when I first took a whiff, I thought it smelled something along the lines of Pinaud Clubman with a hint of Skin Bracer. Just enough to make you smell twice and wonder, "is that Skin Bracer?" without quite being sure, but you're pretty sure. And then add just a trace of Jade East, less than a hint. Drop in a little menthol, and there you have it. @OkieStubble could probably mix up a clone, but it wouldn't be orange.

Your smeller may vary, but when I first took a whiff, I thought it smelled something along the lines of Pinaud Clubman with a hint of Skin Bracer. Just enough to make you smell twice and wonder, "is that Skin Bracer?" without quite being sure, but you're pretty sure. And then add just a trace of Jade East, less than a hint. Drop in a little menthol, and there you have it. @OkieStubble could probably mix up a clone, but it wouldn't be orange.

How similar is the scent to Vigoroso?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble could probably mix up a clone, but it wouldn't be orange.

I could mix a bit of red food color with the yellow dye of Pinaud Clubman and get some orange color. :)

While I already own a lifetime supply of vintage Jade East, member vez2 used to mix up some skin bracer with brut and get a Mix pretty close to Jade East.

Also, Brut and Pinaud Clubman are in the same wheel house of close, similar scent and construction.

If I were to attempt a Floid Original clone I would probably use Brut in that attempt and not Clubman.

Gents, I'm a huge Floid fan, it has been my favorite aftershave since I started wet shaving many years ago. I was very excited about this release and was trying to import it directly from Italy for a while before I found this thread with a link to the US store. Here's my take after using it 3 times so far:

- The fragrance is totally different from the previous versions. I have both Spanish (Vigoroso) and Italian (Genuine) versions, and the fragrance is definitely different. Also noticed that it doesn't last as much either.

- The amount of alcohol and menthol was greatly reduced. It doesn't burn and cool off nearly as much as any of the other two aforementioned. That was kind of a bummer for me, but I'm sure I will be able to fix it by dropping some menthol crystals in the bottle ;)

- I have heard rumors that Martelli S.A. will release two more versions. I am hoping for a "Vigoroso" version with more alcohol and menthol and maybe a Blue one for the fans out there.

I like it, but it feels like a totally new product with no resemblance to what I've used for so many years. But I guess that was their goal, I wasn't around in 1932 to know better :laugh:

Last edited:
I bought that bottle about five months ago because I saw it being used a lot by the wet shaving community. At that time I didn't know that there was an Italian and a Spanish version. It's the Italian version that I got from amazon.fr.
When I first opened the bottle and got my first whiff of the orange liquid I felt a bit disappointed, perplexed by the scent. It was different. I used it only once until last week.

I'm mostly an evening shaver and it's quite frequent that if I shave too close to bedtime, my wife complains that I'm suffocating her with my aftershaves. However when I finally decided to give Floid another go, she didn't complain which stroke me. For the next evening shave I purposedly reused Floid. Again no complaint. Plus I noticed that the feeling on the skin was nice and the scent long lasting.

Since then Floid has grown on me !
IMG_20211125_211941931.jpg

My favorite of the Floid's AS. The large bottles are well crafted too. No stickers, solid lid, glass.

It has a much better fragrance than the Blue.

PXL_20211125_223411959.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the 3 "current" versions. I was able to stash two more bottles of the Vigoroso this week before it disappears.

Attachments

• tempImageSfSlsO.png
    tempImageSfSlsO.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 52
Here are the 3 "current" versions. I was able to stash two more bottles of the Vigoroso this week before it disappears.

Are we sure that the Vigoroso will disappear? I think I read (not sure though) that some Spanish wet shavers were worried about the Spanish Floids would be discontinued after Martelli bought the brand. Someone wrote that Martelli claimed the Spanish Floids would continue to be produced in Spain.

I don't know when or where I read this. Perhaps I dreamt it, but I would bet a small bottle of Suave that this is correct. I think I read about this in an Italian or Spanish shaving forum.

Top Bottom